i30 Owners Club

WORST fuel economy, thats right, tell me about your worst fuel consumption.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Everyone bangs on about how many km's/miles they get to the litre/gallon ect ect, I want to know the WORST you have achieved. i know you cant drive like my 86 year old nanna ALL the time, and i figure i can't have the worst economy on the whole forum.

I'll start

For me 590km to a FULL tank (5 speed manual FD 1.6L) that's fully brimmed where i can see the diesel, and to where the fuel light comes on. don't ask me how many L's of diesel went in, i just fill it up and keep going.

This feat was achieved towing my 6'X4' box trailer, no highway and me being slightly right foot happy, possibly due to all the traffic, road works and traffic lights in encountered.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What did the computer say your average speed for the tank was  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
It is an SX so it does not have the function, would have been low, i was going between my parents, the tip and my house, then into the city all with a trailer.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
OK, like most cars, they don't take too kindly to that type of driving. I can get 5.2 to 5.4 (auto), when I drive. Filled up a couple of days ago and wife drives the car, it was on 6.4 and rising.  :Pout:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Yeah, the real world can throw the fuel consumption right out the window, thats why i am interested to see what others have had...

obviously alot of people only tell us their best...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Including me.  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I normally get around 5.2 l/100 kms, give or take.
The other day it was very hot and I had to sit for hours (due to work) so I left the engine idling for several hours with the air con on and my average went up to 6.9l/100 kms.
With normal driving, it's now back down to 5.9 so still above normal.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes I'm around the 5.2 mark normally,but I also work it out manually as well each fill,which it comes in a little under,today I got a bit of a shock,same miles I do normally each day(as I top the car up daily) and the manual calculation come in at 8.7 litres per 100,yes I doubled and triple checked,I am hoping when I filled it yesterday I screwed up,other wise I have a leak somewhere.  :scared:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The worst economy I experienced with my i30's - as calculated brim to brim and using the tank down to the warning light each time were :-

2010 i30 1.6 CRDi FD hatch................42.25 mpg = 6.69 l/100 km.....best figure was       56.80 mpg = 4.97 l/100 km

2012 i30 1.6 CRDi GD hatch...............45.10 mpg = 6.26 l/100 km......best figure was       58.79 mpg = 4.81 mpg

2013 i30 1.6 CRDI GD CW with ISG.....48.45 mpg = 5.83 l/100 km......best figure so far is 56.13 mpg = 5.03 l/100 km
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 13:30:53 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
This summer my average was somewhere between 5.0 and 5.3, but last winter I had figures like 7.2 or even more (averaging somewhere betwen 6 and 7 during the whole winter, I think).

Summer or winter - it's way more than the 3.7 Hy promises in their brochure...

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Driving my petrol car around town usually gives 30 MPG  (9.4 litres per 100 kms), doesn't vary much but is slightly worse when the weather is very cold.

Not too bad compared to my last car which gave around 18 MPG   (15.7 litres per 100 kms) :)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I normally get around 5,3 l/100 km

Worst I have achieved is 9,7 l/100 km (10,3 km/l) but that's when towing the caravan , mostly at motorway speeds, 95-100 km/t.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
The worst my wife has managed she drives like a nutter is 41.9mpg  :lol: As hard as I tried I could only manage 42.8mpg  :happydance:

i30Sean

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Women are always better at things than us men,,, apparently.  :evil:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
mine shows 5.2 /100k now I just drive it but have not bothered to work out manualy lately.
but when I had the 5 speed & towed a trailer with two big MC's on it and drove fast it used a lot more fuel just like Ian it was SX so could not see l / 100k & forget how many k per tank but towed 8x5 trailer empty out west & over great devide used more fuel than normal but still did 1,000k to full tank empty trailer. weight wind resistance all kill economy.
but I've owned V8's in past that used more fuel heaps more.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
well... everyone seems to get around 5.2L/100 which is what i get normally, wonder why it smashed the juice so badly with my box trailer on it. oh well ill just bash more diesel in it and enjoy driving it :)

Women are always better at things than us men,,, apparently.  :evil:

happy wife, happy life.

or in my case, no wife, happy life :)

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I think I have had 6.2l/100 as my worst consumption ever and that was when I was storm chasing. I had to stop and start to get the best pictures then PLANT my foot down to go go go before the core came over me!! :) Its just what we do in our weather club here :)
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think I have had 6.2l/100 as my worst consumption ever and that was when I was storm chasing. I had to stop and start to get the best pictures then PLANT my foot down to go go go before the core came over me!! :) Its just what we do in our weather club here :)

Can we see some pics  :question:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Were you in the i of the storm?  :undecided:

There is no i in storm!  :wacko:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I do apologize for resurrecting an old topic,but feel the next information fit's in here but does not really deserve it's own thread.

We attended another dog's show today,what's this got to do with worst fuel economy I her you say,WELL,today I decided to do a little experiment,on the way to the show,I decided to go no faster than 100 kph,either way,so Hook the dog trailer up to Bruce,all pre packed from last weekend when I was supposed to go to a show but didn't as I had been crook for a few days.
Anyhow back to the point,1 Dog trailer 600 kgs, all my show equipment 250 kgs, 5 Saints 310 kgs, 1 Me 108 kgs, 1 Sue,no not that stupid, anyhow one the way down to Perth highest rate of fuel usage by Bruce by his trip computer 7.1 ltrs/ 100 k's,but once we had been to the show packed all our crap up loaded dog's the missus and headed home,on our return trip,no different driving style no higher speeds,but we know raised the the fuel usage to 10.3 ltrs / 100 k's,so obviously there is more uphill on the way home than on the way there.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Coming out of the carpark at work last week I noticed someone getting out of a Diesel 2010 model so started talking to him about it.
He was shocked when I said I get over 100km 1000km out of a tank, he said he only gets 500km. That would mean he is getting around 10.5l/100km, all his driving is city but even so, he must be giving it a bit of shove  :confused:
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ Rick, that's a huge difference... :scared: (over 10 is very high!)

@ Steve (doesn't sound like he's brimming it either) I fixed your Typo BTW...  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
A Garmin GPS can track the whole trip with altitude, too. I tracked our trip from Adelaide - Darwin on the Ghan using my GPS. The highest point in the trip, is approx 16 km north of Alice Springs. I think your figure is quite acceptable actually, given the load. There was heaps of wind here this weekend, how was it over there  :question:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I've never had a problem with fuel consumption. Normally mid 7's round town and 5 to 6 on the highway. Can't complain about that really.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
My worst was 50mpg. My best was 600 miles per tank.

A lot depends on the traffic. if i am stuck at 60mph (100kph) then I return about 58mpg.
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal