i30 Owners Club

UK - Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

eye30 · 72 · 14631

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
They won't just be depending on Police mobile ANPR cameras either, they are also mounted on motorway and dual carriageway overhead gantries and some roadside camera sites.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Near me there are fixed camera's on a post outside the entrance/exit to a supermarket.

The supermarket has a fuel station so conveniently placed i would say.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
What does it cost, a year, to keep an i30 diesel registered?

Here in Victoria, Australia, we have a system whereby we pay a registration fee and a 3rd party (no fault) insurance fee. All up for me it's about $600 pa.

Damage insurance (2 levels, third party property, covering the other guy's damage and comprehensive, covering you and the other guy is separate and can vary from about $500 to thousands if you're under 25) is extra and optional.

When I sell the car privately, I'll fill out a couple of forms, notice of disposal and notice of aquisition. The buyer signs the second one. They get sent to the roads authority called Vicroads. There is a transfer fee based on the value of the car. Typically 2 percent. That's paid by the buyer.

There are no refunds for anything for the seller, nor a reduction or whatever for the buyer.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

The amount of Road Tax charged in the UK depends upon the level of CO2 emissions

Vehicle tax rate tables - GOV.UK

My i30 manual emits 100g/km and is therefore free of road tax.

Comprehensive insurance on my car with a total excess of £150 this year cost £237.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My road tax for this year is £125.

Fully comprehensive insurance with additional 2 named drivers, business use, loan car, excess £100, guarenteed no claims i paid £180 last year

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Fully comprehensive insurance with additional 2 named drivers, business use, loan car, excess £100, guarenteed no claims i paid £180 last year

That seems an excellent price.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
i40 costs me £175 for VED, insurance with 2 named drivers, no excess, 10k miles p/a, fully comp, protected was £183 when renewed in October.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

That seems an excellent price.

It was with the same company i've been with for some 20 years.

If i recall the renewal was circa £270 but went on the compare sites and most came in at over £200 - £230.
Even this company  came in high but less than the renewal quote.

So went direct to their site and put details in and it came back at £180.

Rang them up and the person said i must have entered details incorrectly.
Anyway he checked for me and it was all correct so i cancelled the renewal and started a new policy.

I wonder what they will quote come march?

Ps.
If i was to remove business use the price would have been just over £200 and if i removed 1 named driver, my son, again it would be higher.

Kept business use as i use my car during the democratic process work i do. Reg of electors canvas, polling station duty etc. Ok only a few days a year but if i'm involved in accident i will be covered!

Go figure that with less risk..... higher premium.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 15:50:32 by eye30 »

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
i40 costs me £175 for VED, insurance with 2 named drivers, no excess, 10k miles p/a, fully comp, protected was £183 when renewed in October.

I'm paying £284, Fully Comp. NCD protected, includes only Wife to drive, (we have no traffic offences), business use, £100 XS, but full cover in EU in excess of 90 days - including returning the vehicle to the UK, (EU cover does not normally cover the return of a damaged vehicle to UK).
VED £130.
The Mercedes V8 SL shown costs only £86, excluding returning to UK, no business use, all else the same.
Jaguar XJ6 £325 as Mercedes cover.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
In UK you are paying much the same as us, we pay around AU$700 for Registration and compulsory 3rd party injury (green slip) insurance, varies a bit from State to State. :blubber: Add comprehensive insurance (with max no claim bonus) of around $500 to that.  Looking at $1200 to put one's car on the road. :Shocked:  Ball park figures here. :P

These days AU$1200 is about £640  :Shocked:  The AUD is stuffed, not good for us travelling OS soon. :blubber:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 00:10:27 by Lester »
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Lacehim

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
In Queensland rego stickers (same as the UK tax disc) are a thing of the past from Oct 2014.  These days with licence plate readers they can cross reference a database automatically and know straight away if the car is registered or not.  As previously mentioned here in Australia, 3rd party insurance is part of the rego which is much better then the UK system (I'm from the UK so I've had experience of both).  If the UK followed this method they could do away with tax discs, and still have the register/deregister system, but a phone call or online purchase of road tax would be instant and no require a label to be posted out or displayed.

I can't say I will miss removing and replacing a rego sticker every year! lol.
  • i30 Trophy

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
In Queensland rego stickers (same as the UK tax disc) are a thing of the past from Oct 2014.  These days with licence plate readers they can cross reference a database automatically and know straight away if the car is registered or not.  As previously mentioned here in Australia, 3rd party insurance is part of the rego which is much better then the UK system (I'm from the UK so I've had experience of both).  If the UK followed this method they could do away with tax discs, and still have the register/deregister system, but a phone call or online purchase of road tax would be instant and no require a label to be posted out or displayed.

I can't say I will miss removing and replacing a rego sticker every year! lol.

Yes in NSW we lost our Rego stickers a year or so ago, it is all about cost saving.  The Govt is paying a lot out for the Police ANPR's to detect the baddies. :evil:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal