i30 Owners Club

Caught on camera: The moment when a car hits cyclist from behind

Guest · 60 · 8107

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

A CYCLIST has been hit from behind by a driver in a sickening crash caught on camera.

The incident happened last Friday afternoon at Mt Gravatt.

It was caught by another motorist’s dashboard camera and shows a white Audi hatchback ploughing into the male rider just after he pulls away from an intersection at the Main Road on-ramp when the traffic light turns green.

The car appears to follow him for several metres before accelerating and running him down.

The driver who filmed the event said the cyclist’s helmet broke on impact, but he appeared to be “ok”.

“Anyone familiar with the area will recognise that set of traffic lights as being a bit of a mad scramble as people dive into the temporary lane to get in front of the queue,” the Reddit poster said about the section of road.

“I took off gently… fully expecting to be cut off as usual, so you can imagine my surprise when they chose to ram the bike instead.”

Bicycle Queensland CEO Ben Wilson said the incident was “one of the worst things” he had seen in a long time.

“It just looked to me like there was a total lack of awareness on the driver’s behalf,” he said.

“This trend we’re seeing in lack of bike safety is coming from a concentration lapse from drivers when they’re sharing the road.

“A lot of it is because of the growing amount of distractions – like mobile phones – that are in cars now.”

Queensland Ambulance confirmed paramedics attended the incident at 4.50pm to treat a male in his “early 40s” for cuts and abrasions and took him to QE II Hospital in a stable condition.

A Queensland Police spokeswoman said police attended the hospital to interview the victim for details.

No charges have been laid on the female driver of the car, but investigations are continuing.

Source: Caught on camera: The moment when a car hits cyclist from behind | News.com.au

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Alarming :eek:

Tried to find the youtube vid (original won't play for me here) but no luck so far.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I hope the only damage is to the bike.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: eye30

The helmet took a bit of a hit.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: eye30

The helmet took a bit of a hit.

I, i wear a helmet but as it is made if some sort of compressed foam stuff i only expect it to be good in a slight fall.

Anything heavier, like being shoved off by a vehicle, it will only serve to prevent the grey matter being splattered and make the clean up easier.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Alarming :eek:

Tried to find the youtube vid (original won't play for me here) but no luck so far.

You and me both, Steve...  :(

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Apparently very lucky. Only a pretty bad cut to the knee.
Vid was on the news here.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looking at it now, I reckon the car driver was paying attention to her rear view mirrors in preparation for merging, seen a gap and accelerated, forgetting where the cyclist was.
Not making excuses, but I think it was careless driving, not a deliberate act.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Surferdude
Try this

Vid won't play for me just yet - will check when I get home :)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Put my flame proof gear on before I say this: the Surferdude's probably spot on as to what happened, but looking at the big picture, the cyclist was asking for trouble using that road that merges shortly after the accident location with the line from the left where cars are doing at least 60 by the looks of the last few seconds of that video. He would have had then cross that line too to get to  left side.
I for one would not risk the second merge if I was on a pushie...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :wtf: even though it looked like a dangerous place for a cyclist to be,but he did have the right to be there,I have watched this video over and over,that was just blatant neglect,have to disagree with Phil,she had absolutely no intention of merging,the car when she sped up,didn't even move towards the gap on the right,she just went straight over the cyclist and with that clear evidence,why the hell didn't she get charged just on that.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just watched the vid. Total neglect. Bring back hanging.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Now that I've have seen the vid it's a wonder the car did not run over him!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
One wonders why governments spend money on building bike paths to keep cyclists off dangerous roads, if the cyclist is just going to ride on the dangerous road anyway.

There is an excellent bike path in the area, linking to a path that runs alongside the M1.

Not taking anything away from the stupidity of the driver, but still
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I have a great deal of respect for cyclists, however, much like underpowered mopeds/Isuzu trucks, I believe that if a vehicle/driver/rider is incapable of doing the posted speed limit, it shouldn't be allowed on the road, as the vehicle then becomes a slow moving hazard which at the very least stops the flow of traffic, and at the very worst become involved in an incident.

Cyclists, at least when they're on the road, are a hazard to all motorised vehicles. Especially in cities that are not bike friendly. And Brisbane is NOT bike friendly.

I agree with beerman - knowing that particular road like I do, one has to ask why you would put yourself in such a vulnerable position to start with.

The cyclist might have had every right to be on the road, but that doesn't stop ones self from applying some common sense.

I think the best thing for both cyclists and vehicles on the roads is for cycling outside bike lanes and the footpath to be made illegal. A somewhat controversial POV, but one based on seeing so many careless riders and careless drivers interacting with each other.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i don't use the roads when i cycle, but , does not matter, when you drive you have a responsibility & your in control of a lethal weapon . that driver should be locked up just like any other attempted murder.
they seem to have double standards? my Solicitor rides a pushy to work in Sydney. would be expensive to run him down

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
i don't use the roads when i cycle, but , does not matter, when you drive you have a responsibility & your in control of a lethal weapon . that driver should be locked up just like any other attempted murder.
they seem to have double standards? my Solicitor rides a pushy to work in Sydney. would be expensive to run him down
But John, you're making an assumption it was done on purpose.
Read my post above. Like beerman and plasticphyte I know that road. Coming from those lights, you need to accelerate hard to a) merge and b) get up to 100 kph to join the traffic on the freeway. It's pretty obvious she was doing both without paying attention to the front of her.

Which makes her a careless and stupid driver but not an attempted murderer.

And, at the end of the day, I defy anyone on here to categorically state that they've never done anything supid behind the wheel of a car, inadvertantly or otherwise.
And in some of those instances, only blind luck has meant thare wasn't another road user in your way.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
And, at the end of the day, I defy anyone on here to categorically state that they've never done anything supid behind the wheel of a car, inadvertantly or otherwise.
And in some of those instances, only blind luck has meant thare wasn't another road user in your way.

Count me in.  :( :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
But John, you're making an assumption it was done on purpose.
Read my post above. Like beerman and plasticphyte I know that road. Coming from those lights, you need to accelerate hard to a) merge and b) get up to 100 kph to join the traffic on the freeway. It's pretty obvious she was doing both without paying attention to the front of her.

Which makes her a careless and stupid driver but not an attempted murderer.

From memory not far ahead there is also a sign that in part prohibits cyclists on the freeway to which they are all about to join.....

Running down a lawyer is a community service which should be rewarded  :evil: :whistler: :twisted:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:53:04 by beerman »
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Cyclists, at least when they're on the road, are a hazard to all motorised vehicles.

Actually, motorised vehicles when they are on the road are a hazard to everything else on the road. With the exception of the freeways which have their own regulation, a shared carriageway is supposed to be just that. All users need to pay attention and be courteous to each other and abide by the rules.

And another thing, that cyclist is somewhere he shouldn't be if he has any regard for his safety. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just saying.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Actually, motorised vehicles when they are on the road are a hazard to everything else on the road. With the exception of the freeways which have their own regulation, a shared carriageway is supposed to be just that. All users need to pay attention and be courteous to each other and abide by the rules.

:whsaid:

It's a shame more car drivers don't get that....

I still reckon all drivers need to spend 3 months riding a motorcycle or even a bicycle in traffic before they are allowed a car licence, maybe then they'd have a bit more empathy for our 2 wheeled road users....  :)

And another thing, that cyclist is somewhere he shouldn't be if he has any regard for his safety. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just saying.

You wouldn't venture out on any road if you had regard for your own safety, what with all the idiots out there....  :undecided:

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The cyclist isn't attempting to enter the freeway but is instead heading away from it. He or she is heading in an easterly direction on Klumpp Road. The cyclist is not on the freeway exit - the white ute is. The three lanes merge into two in just a few minutes and perhaps as Surferdude says, the Audi driver may have been concentrating on the merge.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good point snookes.
Here's the intersection.
Cyclist may have been coming from the uni.

So, accelerating to 60 not 100 as I said, however, it's still 3 into one in a very short distance.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I still reckon all drivers need to spend 3 months riding a motorcycle or even a bicycle in traffic before they are allowed a car licence, maybe then they'd have a bit more empathy for our 2 wheeled road users....  :)

Agree.

Since being back on my bike i now leave more room when passing cyclists.......

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And then there was this one in Victoria....  :undecided:

Taxi passengers abuse cyclist after ‘dooring’ crash in Melbourne CBD

Car door jams Melbourne cyclist - video - YouTube

A CYCLIST has been abused by a group of men who opened a taxi door in her path on Collins St, causing her to crash. 

The incident was caught by a camera mounted on her handlebars.

Footage shows her riding past several cars before the taxi door is flung open and she crashes heavily into it and falls to the ground.

Cycling advocates say the action clearly amounted to an offence, known as “dooring”.   

But Victoria Police spokesman Belinda Batty told the Herald Sun it was unclear if the incident had been reported to police.

In the video, the woman immediately asks the three men who alight from the cab for their details, telling them “I’ve got it all on camera”.

One man apologises, but another says her riding was “dangerous”. All refuse to give their names.

“Do you know what you just did? You just doored me. That’s an offence,” the cyclist said.

She pursues them along Collins St towards Swanston St, and they begin to abuse her.

“You ride up the inside of a car that’s stopped at the lights — you are a fool,” one man said.

That was followed by: “The way people like you ride around is disgusting.”

Victorian Greens leader Greg Barber urged police to investigate.

“The really distressing part is that those men are arguing with the cyclist, saying she is in the wrong, when they are at fault,” Mr Barber said.

Victoria’s road rules state that it is an offence, punishable by a fine of more than $350, to cause a hazard to a person or vehicle by opening a car door.

Mr Barber said the State Government should consider his plan to introduce demerit points for “dooring”.

Source: Taxi passengers abuse cyclist after ‘dooring’ crash in Melbourne CBD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Riding up the inside is a no no as shown here doors can be opened to let people out.

Now if it was on the offside then yes i would say an offence has been committed as the person opening the door shoukd make sure it us safe to do so.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal