Diesel efficiency

TheReaper · 52 · 15842

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Got 4700km logged on the car and the fuel economy is now starting to set in, up until yesterday,  the best I could get was 5.9 L/100k. Now I am starting to average 5.2-5.4 even going up steep inclines. Excited to see what I can get the average down too!
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Probably partly to do with your driving technique too!  :winker:

I found I improved my driving for economy when I had a CRDi and still hold me in good stead with the Hybrid!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I do have a pretty steady foot. :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
On the whole, I reckon the fuel economy of my diesel has got worse...... :undecided:

Might have something to do with all that lovely torque and me being unable to resist making the most of it....  :D

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I average in Cyril 5.4L/100 in Bruce a little better 5.1L/100 but I have over a week averaged 4.8L/100 in Cyril and in Bruce I have been able to get down too 4.1L/100,but then my right foot gets the better of me,I haven't got that much time to waste a week to go everywhere at 75-80 kph.

I average 1400 k's a week so at the slower speed that would add at least five hours travelling a week,no thanks,with travelling to and from work and driving for a living,I spend enough time on the road.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
 :rofl: HAHAHA!
On the whole, I reckon the fuel economy of my diesel has got worse...... :undecided:

Might have something to do with all that lovely torque and me being unable to resist making the most of it....  :D

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I average in Cyril 5.4L/100 in Bruce a little better 5.1L/100 but I have over a week averaged 4.8L/100 in Cyril and in Bruce I have been able to get down too 4.1L/100,but then my right foot gets the better of me,I haven't got that much time to waste a week to go everywhere at 75-80 kph.

I average 1400 k's a week so at the slower speed that would add at least five hours travelling a week,no thanks,with travelling to and from work and driving for a living,I spend enough time on the road.
I average roughly the same to you, maybe just slightly less. I know exactly where you're coming from.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Your both in the right car! 1,400k a week!
Rick wonder why Bruce gets better than cyril? every time i read his name Cyril, reminds me of a work mate i had, i christened Cyril & it stuck. ( good bloke )

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Rick wonder why Bruce gets better than cyril? every time i read his name Cyril, reminds me of a work mate i had, i christened Cyril & it stuck. ( good bloke )
Yeah mate, lot of distance covered. I need to find a closer job to Newcastle. I work out of Liverpool, and then also work a lot around Sydney and the CBD. So I travel a lot. Normally stay with my missus' brother and his partner in Marrickville. But his partner is a cop for the botany district and has seen some bad stuff in the past couple years, and is now getting out and has been getting treated for PTSD. So haven't been able to stay with them. So back and forward to Newcastle for me. Or at least until I find a closer job, or my missus finds a better job in Sydney.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yeah mate, lot of distance covered. I need to find a closer job to Newcastle. I work out of Liverpool, and then also work a lot around Sydney and the CBD. So I travel a lot. Normally stay with my missus' brother and his partner in Marrickville. But his partner is a cop for the botany district and has seen some bad stuff in the past couple years, and is now getting out and has been getting treated for PTSD. So haven't been able to stay with them. So back and forward to Newcastle for me. Or at least until I find a closer job, or my missus finds a better job in Sydney.

That's a long commute! should get transferred up Newcastle, or is that hard?
i'm sure the M2 & M7 toll company love you too

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

No transfer available. I work for a private ambo company, and only have a office in Liverpool, and do contracted work all around NSW. :(

And the M2 and the M7 don't get any money from me, I go up pendant hills to Cumberland and then to the hume hwy and Hoxton park rd.  :lol: :lol: :lol: No highway robbery for me!! :whistler:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 i was the same, i used to use the toll ways, then saw how much they would take from bank account per month, also the m7 takes a long route. so i was avoiding them.
now no toll ways, no parking rangers, no parking meters no fixed speed camera's & no traffic lights, no american fast food outlets. love it. slow pace.
sorry to go off topic, still showing 5.2L /100k i don't turn trip pc off, seems to be about average all round for me. but if i turn it off & drive right i can have it reading low 4's, have driven Sydney to Melbourne via the coast road ( 1,049k ) ( 50 or 60 k b4 CBD ) on 45L, i normally get 57L from fuel light on to brimmed tank so would still have had enough for a few 100k.
love it.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Did a quick eco-test yesterday on the way home from work.

Coming out of work it's a slight downhill run at 80 km/h for about 2.5km. Once on the flat it's up to 100 km/h for about 4 km, then down to 60 km/h for another 2 kays, with a couple of intersections before my place.

I zeroed the economy meter at the top of the hill and slipped it into 6th. Economy dropped down to 2.8l/100 km. Then on the flat it increased slowly to 4.8l/100 km, finally up to 5.1l by the time I got home.

The driving was as conservative as it could be.

On the freeway on my way to Melbourne (110km/h), I zeroed the eco-meter once on the freeway and set cruise to 110. By the time I got to the freeway exit some 110 kays later, the meter was indicating 5.4l/100 km. Again, freeway cruising with no harsh acceleration or braking.

Overall average is 5.9 l/100 km. That's measured by an iPhone app which I use which calculates usage based on kilometres travelled and fuel actually used. And manual calcs verify the app's accuracy.

So, I'd dearly love to know how people can get low 5s/high 4s out of their CRDis...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The most klms I have travelled from an absolutely full tank (I could see the fuel in the filler neck) to when the fuel warning light came on is 1323 klms.  But I was doing some silly stuff, like folding the left mirror in some of the time on the highway, not carrying the spare wheel, coasting as much as possible downhill and probably doing 80 to 90 kph on the highway between Melbourne and Ballarat.  I can't remember how many Melb to Ballt trips were in the 1323 klms, but there were prob. at least 2, maybe 3.  I would have had the tyres pumped up well and I would have been the only person in the car most of the time.  I live in Melb so the other klms would have been Melb klms.

There is one downhill stretch from the Pentland Hills to near Bacchus Marsh where it's easy to coast 5 klms.   

Maybe the 1323 klms was when I had the narrow spare tyre fitted.  Perhaps that helped: less weight and friction.  I should (but won't) get 3 more of the same spares from wreckers and go for another personal record.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I drove over to Adelaide yesterday afternoon/night and my trip computer is indicating 4.5l/100k.
I used the cruise control most of the time....
I did see a low of 4.2l/100k for a while but once out on the open highway where the speed limit was 110kph up she rose. Still pretty impressed though....  :goodjob:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good going, Rusty. Welcome to the Great Southern Land. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Gonz!  :victory:

The more  long trips I do in it, the more impressed I get with the car's performance. :goodjob:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Good results!  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks, that was over 840.7 kilometres (trip meter) or 869.0 (GPS).....  :victory:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My 2007 CRDi has no fuel consumption indicator.  How difficult would it be to fit one?  Is there something that will give instant readouts as you drive?
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

No transfer available. I work for a private ambo company, and only have a office in Liverpool, and do contracted work all around NSW. :(

And the M2 and the M7 don't get any money from me, I go up pendant hills to Cumberland and then to the hume hwy and Hoxton park rd.  :lol: :lol: :lol: No highway robbery for me!! :whistler:

You don't work with Big Mike, do you?

I don't mind paying tolls, if it is going to save me time.  I don't like paying tolls to sit in traffic.  I used to use the M7 when travelling from Nowra to Newcastle.  It would cut 45 minutes off the trip, each way.  My time is much more valuable than the toll you pay.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
For me to use it for work out in Liverpool it cost me $20 a day. Saves money to stay off it. It usually only takes me an extra 20 minutes

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
My 2007 CRDi has no fuel consumption indicator.  How difficult would it be to fit one?  Is there something that will give instant readouts as you drive?
There's a data outlet somewhere under the dash. I forget what it's called, exactly but it's been discussed here before. When an appropriate adapter is connected and the appropriate app installed on a smart phone a bluetooth connection then allows it to interrogate the car's computer. It may display fuel consumption that way.

It'd be good if earlier vehicles which have this data output and double DIN displays (or room for one) could be fitted with a display unit which could be connected to this data output to activate a trip computer app within the display.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: mjt57
There's a data outlet somewhere under the dash. I forget what it's called ...

Yes you could connect a dongle to the OBDII port to link to an app (like Torque) on a smartphone, or purchase a ScanGauge2 to do the same.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Perspective owner

• 2nd Gear
Y'all are complaining about mid to high 5's for efficiency but if you were currently driving a Falcon and getting mid 11's low 12's around town like I am, then you won't be so vocal I recon!  :D Considering a Premium CRDi and reading this post gives me more reason to make the change.

If anyone does have a Premium, please let me know. I'd rather an owner encourage the decision then a salesman pushing a sale.
  • i30 GD2

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Y'all are complaining about mid to high 5's for efficiency but if you were currently driving a Falcon and getting mid 11's low 12's around town like I am, then you won't be so vocal I recon!  :D Considering a Premium CRDi and reading this post gives me more reason to make the change.

If anyone does have a Premium, please let me know. I'd rather an owner encourage the decision then a salesman pushing a sale.
lol.  :lol:  I don't have the premium, I just have the active crdi. But as for consumption they will practically do the same. It just means you have a few extra options and gadgets to play with. The dealer says you will get 3.7 L/100km. Don't think anyone has seen that. But just remeber any new diesel will take about 15, 000km before you see the results. First few thousand k's you will probably be in the 7.0 range. Then you begin to drop little by little.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Once you join the i30 CRDi rank's you become a cheap miserable B…t.rd  :rofl:
before i joined this group i did not care & drove a V8 falcon Ute & lived in my wallet  :rofl: getting about 10L/100K country & 14L/100K city drinking 98 octane premium. now hang out with people that cry if they can't get 4L/100K  :rofl:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Once you join the i30 CRDi rank's you become a cheap miserable B…t.rd  :rofl:
before i joined this group i did not care & drove a V8 falcon Ute & lived in my wallet  :rofl: getting about 10L/100K country & 14L/100K city drinking 98 octane premium. now hang out with people that cry if they can't get 4L/100K  :rofl:
:rofl: :whsaid:

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!

I have a Premium GD in diesel, switched to it from a 2005 Magna V6.
I used to get an average of 12.6-13L/100Km.
My running average is now 6.19L/100K, driving the same route. My best has been 5.6L/100K.
I should point out that when I made the decision to get a new car, my back of napkin maths figured I would get around the 6L/100K in a four cylinder car of similar spec to the i30 CRDI, so I am happy with what I get.

To give you an idea of the mileage, my daily trip is 74Km return, and I spend at least 25-28Km of that on highway at 100Kph. I rarely drive my car out of this routine, so I've got very consistent data, aside from when I decide to have a bit of fun with the accelerator.

If you do a lot of short trips (less than 10 minutes), then the diesel may not be the right engine type for your needs.

It is a marvellous car to drive, however if you want to take the frugality further, you really need to get the manual diesel, which sadly the Premium model doesn't come in.

Over 24,100K on the ODO, and I am very happy with my purchase.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Perspective owner

• 2nd Gear

To give you an idea of the mileage, my daily trip is 74Km return, and I spend at least 25-28Km of that on highway at 100Kph. I rarely drive my car out of this routine, so I've got very consistent data, aside from when I decide to have a bit of fun with the accelerator.

Thanks for that. My commute to/from work is about 84km none of which is on the highway. I've done calculations comparing what I get now to the advertised worst case scenario (about 7.5L/100km) fuel consumption on the i30. If I'm right I might be saving somewhere around $40 a week on fuel, based on current average fuel prices.

Might test drive a new one soon, but from the sounds of it if I want to see a difference immediately buy used with 10,000+km on the clock...
  • i30 GD2

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal