i30 Owners Club

Short trip Wollongong NSW to Chinchilla QLD

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Last week drove from Wollongong NSW to Chinchilla QLD via Narribri and along the Newell Hwy.

Car with 4 adults, luggage and a roof pod on top.

Sitting on 110km/h most of the trip as this was the speed limit, with cruise control on.

Average fuel was 6.35L/100km, which I though wasn't too bad, although only slightly better than around town.

On the way home, drove to Toowoomba, filled up (always brim) and came down the New Endgland Hwy, this time not going any faster than 100km/h without cruise control on.

Just reaching home in Wollongong fuel light comes on @ 940kms.  At 980kms I decided to fill up, and put in 57litres, so was pretty much empty.

Average fuel for the trip back was 5.75L/100km, which is quite good considering the car was full as well as the pod.  If I didn't have the pod might have been less.

Remember this is a CW, so a little heavier than the hatch.  Ran with 37psi tyres.  2,200km return trip.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
They're great figures, anything above 80 kmh and frontal surface area starts to chew into the economy. :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think you should be happy with that!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That pod would be making it's presence known. I did a big run Bris-Syd-Melb-Bris and was getting 5.8 (same situation, 4 passengers, full of luggage). For an Average of 5.77l (best 5.63 worst 5.89)
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Good numbers for the speeds & load, what tyre pressure did you run?
i see people crawling along 70  80 kph in 100kph zone & great line of cars behind them should be enforced.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Remember this is a CW, so a little heavier than the hatch.  Ran with 37psi tyres.  2,200km return trip.

Good numbers for the speeds & load, what tyre pressure did you run?

@ John........ :disapp: :head_butt: ;)
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Recently I found the speed for best fuel consumption : 90 to 99 km/h and 110 to 119 km/h. 100 to 110 is not the ideal speed.  :wink:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Good result with that load & pod.   :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Last week I drove to Swan Hill and back to Melbourne; two people and luggage.  The tank was filled to the absolute maximum before we left and now, after an additional 60 or so klms in Melbourne, the needle is right on the centre mark at 830 klms.  But a lot of the time I was doing about 80 kph.     
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My best economy is 50-55 in 4th and 80-90 in 5th. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The fuel warning light came on today at 1295.9 klms.  At 1304.1 klms I stopped to fill it up.  It took 55.24 litres and I actually spilled some.  That was very careless.   Most other times that I have done a maxi-fill I have travelled 30 - 40 - 50 klms on 'reserve' but not this time.

The above figures seem to work out at 4.236 litres per 100 klms.  (Have I calculated correctly?)

Of the 1304.1 klms, probably around 1100 klms would have been on country roads; a lot of the time doing 80 kph.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
80's about the best speed for economy, but not so good if you're in a hurry.

That's a great figure.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: :brilliant:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The fuel warning light came on today at 1295.9 klms.  At 1304.1 klms I stopped to fill it up.  It took 55.24 litres and I actually spilled some.  That was very careless.   Most other times that I have done a maxi-fill I have travelled 30 - 40 - 50 klms on 'reserve' but not this time.

The above figures seem to work out at 4.236 litres per 100 klms.  (Have I calculated correctly?)

Of the 1304.1 klms, probably around 1100 klms would have been on country roads; a lot of the time doing 80 kph.

Outstanding result! this is  what i call real world economy as you ran it to the maximum then worked it out.
Just looking at trip pc read out not always accurate.
Like the furthest i've ever gone on one full tank was in my 1st 08 i30 CRDi 5 Speed SX i went 1340k on 57L
the one i have till next week 11ym i30 SLX CRDi 6 speed the trip pc has told me i have averaged 3.8L /100k at one time but brimmed to brimmed & always get 57L in to brim same as first i30 ( both FD ) the furthest i've managed on one tank in the 11ym is 1250 on 57L
who knows why? but the 6 speed & the U2 motor a good improvement. just not in economy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The fuel warning light came on today at 1295.9 klms.  At 1304.1 klms I stopped to fill it up.

The i30 odometer under reads so you have actually travelled further than your 1304k's.....  :undecided:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My previous best was 1323 klms when the light came on.  It looks like it can only be done by sitting well under the speed limit on the highway (if the limit is 100 or 110) and very careful, slow acceleration city driving.  When Hans Tholstrup drove from Adelaide to Sydney and beyond in 2007, and when someone achieved 3.2 (I think) from Darwin to Adelaide in the economy challenge in same year, they must have been sitting on 70 kph or just over. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i think you have a state of tight arse down there south of the boarder  :rofl:
i get stuck behind victorians on holidays always 20 or 30 kph below speed limit
come on boys n girls enjoy driving spend up  :rofl: good economy m8

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal