i30 Owners Club

Best & Worst Fuel Consumption Poll

i30Dave · 370 · 88395

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Grrrr, worst economy to date.

-2 degrees C all the way into work this morning (100km trip at 110km/h) Then back home, 100km was 3 degrees C. No intercooler cover.

200km, 5.3lt/100km  :shock:

Not happy!

Tomorrow on the way to work I'll fit the intercooler cover and see what a difference that makes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the real world... :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "foxey"
You're kidding if the coast road is the best way to Qld.. too many speed cameras, too many towns, too many tourists, too many stops.. uhhhggg... take the New England Hwy, via Singleton, straight to Tamworth and up to Stanthorpe (Gods Country) and then to Brisbane, I do this road several times a year and also the coast road (reluctantly) several times a year and I know which way I'd rather go.. If it wasn't for the NSW RTA wasting our money on 50km/hr Speed Cameras at the start of every one horse town then New England would be a dream run like it was 20 yrs ago..but still better than fighting traffic all the way..

M8 i always used the new england to QLD but these days the coast road is by far quicker and has 110kph speed limit part of the way, at no part has the new england got 110KPH speed limit. when was the last time you drove up the coast road from sydney m8?
Cheers
PS i once did a very quick trip to Qld in a GTHO with big tank back in the early 70's on the new england, when they had the tick gate on QLD boarder

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm averaging 52 MPG in all types of driving, town, motorway, short trips  Etc

I've notoiced the ecomony is getting better as the engine beds in, 6K now.
The read out seem to fluctuate between 49 to 55 with a mean of 52 MPG
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "Lakes"
M8 i always used the new england to QLD but these days the coast road is by far quicker and has 110kph speed limit part of the way, at no part has the new england got 110KPH speed limit. when was the last time you drove up the coast road from sydney m8?

May I ask where these 110km zones are? I'm heading up that way next month and havent been on it in a few years, so am interested to see where they've improved! Thanks!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "ozsnowman"

May I ask where these 110km zones are? I'm heading up that way next month and havent been on it in a few years, so am interested to see where they've improved! Thanks!

Snowman i'll tell you speeds and on what section from Vic NSW boarder to QLD you have 110KPH to Albury then of and on till you hit the freeway near dog on tuckerbox then it's 110kph to the M7 turn off the M7 is 100KPH then you hit M2 at the start that is 90kph then it is 100kph to the toll booth but if you have a tag you get e tolled, then it's mostly 70kph up to the F3 that starts off at 80KPH  then after a few K's it is 110KPH to Hawksberry bridge then 100KPH to the Moony Bridge then 110KPH to the end of F3 you get varing speeds to just outside ramond terrace then it's 110KPH to just outside bulladella its 110KPH again then you get up near pub with no beer it's varring speeds stays varrying to just outside Ballina then it's just GO 110KPH all the way and you have virtually freeway to Brisbane with exit to Gold Coast. the speed camera's in NSW are all well sign posted you get three big warning signs b4 the camera and if you are in the 110KPH zone no way you would get caught doing 110KPH or even 115KPH on the i30 speedo. also plan your trip fill up in Sydney as the country area's will have higher priced diesel but could fill up at end of F3 at the BP there as you go past that then you can make it to QLD they normally sell for 10 cents cheaper than all other state's, but they are taking that away from interstate drivers soon and only giving cheap fuel to QLD licence holders :(
have a good time mate, what part of QLD?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "Thumper"
Grrrr, worst economy to date.

-2 degrees C all the way into work this morning (100km trip at 110km/h) Then back home, 100km was 3 degrees C. No intercooler cover.

200km, 5.3lt/100km  8-)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thumper, what temp does it have to be below b4 you fit the intercooler cover? and at what temp do you remove the cover? any noticible loss in power with the cover on?
thanks Lakes

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Lakes.. frankly the last time I took  the coast road was 6 months ago and I couldn't do 110k anywhere (well maybe I could in small pockets but not all the time)  - just too much traffic, plus the great and wonderful NSW RTA decided to shut one lane of the highway northbound all the way to Ballina .."for safety reasons" .. granted it was during school holidays but it put me off .. I try to avoid it now , New England on the other hand is virtually zero traffic and you don't need to do 110km.hr, just sit on 90 -100 is perfect for easy safe and economical cruising..  plus I find the drive much better .. just nice open country..

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Thumper, what temp does it have to be below b4 you fit the intercooler cover? and at what temp do you remove the cover? any noticible loss in power with the cover on?
thanks Lakes

Lakes I notice an increase in power and a reduction in throttle lag from off-boost / on-boost application. (This is when it's below 5 degrees C)

As you know, you don't have to stay on boost long (Under a few seconds) when driving the i30 diesel at normal road speeds.

I put the cover on when the ambiant temp drops below 10-8 degrees C.

Interestingly, I received an email from Hyundai Australia regarding my questions on fitting the cover, their response was akin to not even reading what I had sent.

This is what I sent:

"After purchasing a Hyundai i30 Diesel SLX manual, I have noticed over the last two weeks that ambient air temperatures play an important role in fuel economy. Normal highway driving when the ambient air temp is above 18 degrees C will return average fuel economy of 4.1lt/100km Yet, drive on the same highway, in the same direction, later in the evening, ambient air temp is now 2 degrees C, average fuel economy is now 5.1lt/100km As a test, I drove back to the original starting point, placed a cover over the front of the intercooler, then drove the same trip, this time ambient air temp had dropped to -1 degrees C, average fuel economy went back down to 4.0lt/100km Drove 100km back up the road, removed the cover from the front of the intercooler, ambient air temp still -1 degrees C, average fuel economy jumped up to 5.2lt/100km I have spoken to the local Hyundai dealer where I am currently staying, and they were surprised to hear these findings, yet would look into it. (Though they did not request my name or contact details for following up) I am asking Hyundai Australia if they have heard of issues relating to low ambient air temps affecting the i30 Diesel in this way, before, and if light running on the highway during winter with a cover over the intercooler would be a cause for concern? (Temperature probes on the inlet and outlet of the intercooler show temps never rise above 55 degrees C, entering the engine, when driving sedately along the highway with a cover over the intercooler.) Yet, when the cover has been removed from the intercooler, I have noticed outlet temps to hover around 4 degrees C when ambient air temps are around -2 degrees C, when out on the highway, light load. If it's possible, could a technician from Hyundai let me know about these findings, to advise what else I can do in the future to keep my economy figures as low as possible over the winter period. Thank you. "

Their reply:

"Thank you for your email.
Fuel consumption should improve in cooler weather. This is because cooler
air is more dense.
There is no relation between the engine management system and the ambient
temperature sensor.
I hope this information is of assistance. "

I wonder if they (Hyundai) actually read what I sent.  :cry:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Thumper,

Doesn't it "P" you off when you get a reply like that. I new member Martin might have more clout with findings like that...

Surprised no one else has commented yet on this exciting development in our club (see introduce yourself...)

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria

Thanks for the info dude! We're going up along the coast from Sydney to the Goldie, got 10 nights there, then up to Rockhampton for 4 or 5 days - I want to try a day trip over to keppel :)

Then home straight down the guts! Will be good this year, as I havent got above Hervey bay before.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Lakes.. frankly the last time I took  the coast road was 6 months ago and I couldn't do 110k anywhere (well maybe I could in small pockets but not all the time)  - just too much traffic, plus the great and wonderful NSW RTA decided to shut one lane of the highway northbound all the way to Ballina .."for safety reasons" .. granted it was during school holidays but it put me off .. I try to avoid it now , New England on the other hand is virtually zero traffic and you don't need to do 110km.hr, just sit on 90 -100 is perfect for easy safe and economical cruising..  plus I find the drive much better .. just nice open country..

Foxy, can understand what you mean m8. a friend of mine road our Harleys up to the Gold Coast fews years back and there was school holidays on, lot of traffic & police. the traffic did not worry us just could not ride like we like to with all those police trawling. so we went back via new england. took us longer but as you said less traffic and no police that we saw. in a car would be different . yes i agree driving at 90KPH is better for economy specially in the i30. but i have always been in a hurry to get there :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "ozsnowman"

Thanks for the info dude! We're going up along the coast from Sydney to the Goldie, got 10 nights there, then up to Rockhampton for 4 or 5 days - I want to try a day trip over to keppel :)

Then home straight down the guts! Will be good this year, as I havent got above Hervey bay before.

That will be great m8! and returning down the guts is the fast way if your up North QLD as the coast is like a boomerang in shape. i've been to Townsville ,the Bruce Hwy is the most borring stretch of road!! you go all the way and all you see is tree's i think i saw the coast once between Rocky & mackay, Mackay is beautifull mate so is Prospine & all the Islands, have not been to great keppel but i'm sure you will have fun wish it was me!
cheers
ps up early haveing breaky b4 work, we have the pope here in sydney for a week.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... we have the pope here in sydney for a week.
Make sure he says sorry. We all know what I mean  :twisted:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
;)  yes m8.
seem's everyone is sorry in Australia this year. did you know the Pope loves stray Cats? they took a young kitten to him so he would feel at home. he sounds like a wise man and a good ol boy, but if you want to hear him talk it costs $150 each. i'm enjoying it so far, not as busy as when the olympic's was on but it's just starting so have to wait, i loved it when olympics were on it was like a big party in sydney.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi guys,

We, that is my wife and two boys are heading for Merimbula for a few days. It is a pretty little coastal town on the lower south coast of NSW. I reset the trip computer today and filled it with deisel, $187.9 p/L OUCH!!. I have never attempted to push the 1000k barrier before as it mostly drives around town and never let it get to low on fuel. The Canberra-Merimbula trip is only around 550k but I might take a day trip to goulbourn or something as well to push up the k's.
Anyway, I decided if I am to have any chance of reaching 1000k, i should really fill the tank. I managed to fit a further 12L in the tank from the first time the vouser cut off by filling till it foamed up, waiting a few seconds than filling again till the foam rose to the top. I repeated this process again and again till the foam didnt retract quickly, didnt want to push my luck to far and fill deise on the duco.
So now I want to fill it till the fuel light comes on. Can anyone tell me from experience how far I can push it with the fuel light comes on without running out.

Thanks,

I will post the results of my econ run as they unfold

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

You should be able to go at least 50km with the fuel light on before the distance to empty goes to - - (when it hits about 50-55kms left)

Think most of us try to find a garage pretty quickly once that happens... Isn't that right BOB  :?:

ouri30
Eyma,

Since you have the SLX with trip computer, I offer the following from experience.

Keep on eye on the DTE and you will find that it is about spot on when there is about 200km to go.  When it reaches 50km to empty, it will blank out (_ _ _).   I would fill up asap when the display balnks out.

The fuel light has come on for us somewhere between 50km and 100km remaining.

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for the advice Bob,

Don't fancy having to push it.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Ive done 30km on the low fuel light before, and the needle was still slightly up off E

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Eyma, 1,000 is easy, i have done 1,200 and am confident that if i tried 1,300 could be reached, but i know the road you will be useing and it goes through some rugged country with lots of hills and corners, but you could go there and back.
i drove from Sydney to Mystery Bay then back up to Mogo then back to Mystery bay then back to sydney then went to work for two days b4 filling up, and i was not driving that slow . but i fill tank right up.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Guys,
We are back from our trip to Merimbula on the south coast of NSW. The trip was very pleasant and the car handled beautifully, strongly recommend lowering the car that bit to really enjoy the twisting curves of brown mountain.
On the trip there we averaged 5.4lp/100. I was happy with that as we were loaded to the max with parents and 2 kids (11 & 9) and enough luggage for a week. Also, it was an extremely cold day. The temperature gauge read 2 degrees all the way from Canberra to the brown mountain before the temp started to increase as we neared the coast. Did you know that a little snowflake appears on the lcd display when it gets as low as 2 degrees or less?
We did a fair bit of sight seeing around the area and by the time we returned to Canberra, we had 750km on the clock with still 1/4 of a tank left. We have done some city driving since and have approx 850k on clock and the computer says I have 120 DTE so may not quite make the 1000k. We will see.
Two things put a bit of a sour finish to the trip though. The first was that some low life tried to steal the 18" Alloys off my car. It was parked directly outside our motel room at the time. I discovered it the next morning with two wheel nuts missing off the front drivers side wheel. After removing two nuts, they must have discovered that the alloys were fitted with a lock nut on each wheel and given up. I know I had a full set of nuts on the car when I left home because I checked the tyre pressure before setting out. Nobody around Merimbula could help me with replacement nuts (10mm allen key type) so I put a complete set of 5 nuts on the front and drove home with a nut short on the rear wheels. The good people at Bob Jane Belconnen replaced the nuts free of charge.
The other disapointment was that the car was filthy on return so I decided to give it a good clean. I washed it, Vacuumed it and cleaned the windows. I also polished the wheels and decided to finish it off with a waxing. This is where the trouble started. While bending down polishing a lower panel, I felt something give in my back. The pain was excruciating.
Anyway, it seems I  have slipped a disk in my lower back and also done some nerve damage. Its not the first time I have done my back either, not bad for someone only 40 years young. :D

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Actually i should teach the wife to clean the car. After all, its hers apparantley :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

Sorry to hear about your back... Lucky you spotted the missing nuts, could have been dangerous driving with your nuts missing..... :D

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
thanks Dazz. Back feels a bit better tonight. Thank God for Panadeine Forte.
No i have'nt converted the exhaust yet but it will happen. Have you noticed any improvement in fuel economy since your new system went on Dazz?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds like a great trip Eyma, i love the coast down that way very pretty!
Sorry to hear about your back!
and it makes me very  sad, when i hear things like that 9 people trying to steal your wheels)!

ps i'll be doing the trip this weekend so will post economy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

Only done probably 40 kms in very cold weather and it's showing 5.2 (better than the 5.4-5.5 before I zeroed it) won't be able to really judge until I do a longer trip.

rgds,

Dazz

Take it easy m8

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Did the same trip down to Bega, then back up, with even colder weather, and intercooler cover fitted.

4.9lt/100km averaged.

As for how far you can go, I have done 100km once the DTE started to flash [---]

Put 59.95lt back into the tank after that trip.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Thumper 59.95 Ltrs ... Think that's the most I've heard anyone squeezing in  :shock:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal