Best & Worst Fuel Consumption Poll

i30Dave · 370 · 88362

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got to be happy with that.. sounds like you had a lot more than 100kms left when the light came on...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Got to be happy with that.. sounds like you had a lot more than 100kms left when the light came on...

Yeah well, should have been approx 8 litres left so theres a good 120km even at worst consumption. Plus once the light came on I gave up driving sensibly - ended up doing at least 10km with the light on  :lol:

What has everybody had left when the fuel light comes on in theirs??

Offline OMVanders

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      McLaren Vale

• McLaren Vale, South Australia Black CRDi I30 SX
What has everybody had left when the fuel light comes on in theirs??

Interesting... I just filled up after doing 900km. For the first time I took the time to fill it right to the brim and it took just on 51 litres.  The unnerving part about that is that the fuel light hadn't yet come on!!  So your guess is as good as mine Ozsnowman!?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

OMV,

It's probably not as bad as it seems several on the forum have managed to squeeze up to 57 ltrs into their i30 (seems to be a fair bit of capacity in the inlet pipe)...

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline LowEmissionI30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
The inlet pipe size and foaming combine to make calculating fuel averages difficult without the trip computer.  I filled up for the first time when I picked up the car (and squeezed lots in by letting the foam go down and then add again a few times).  When I refilled 583.6 km later I only added 27.34 liters (again putting some more in after the foam came to the top but not as zealously).  This gave me an incredible fuel consumption figure of 4.67l / 100km (incredible because the car hasn't even done 1000km yet, so the engine is still bedding in).  Then I filled up again 364 km later and was more sanguine about squeezing in as much diesel as possible (24.07 liters to be precise).  Using these figures (100*24.07/364) gave me a much less satisfying 6.62l / 100km.  
So overall my average fuel consumption over 947 km currently stands at a not too shabby 5.4 l / 100km driving around Canberra with a mix of city and inter-town driving (mainly Adelaide avenue for the Canberra aficionados).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi L-E,

Figure Canberra temperatures would be similar to Devonport Tas at the moment and 5.4 seems to be the magic figure that my TC gravitates towards most of the time...

I try not to get above that as I figure 54 litres = 1000 kms  :D

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Yeah 5.4 is pretty much my average since delivery so far here in country Vic - not as cold here some morning but a bit of high revving every so often to make up for it :)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
My last trip, from SA back to ACT, all highway driving. (Coldish weather)

600km 3/4 tank
800km 1/2 tank
1050km 1/4 tank

No low fuel light, yet.

110km/h most of the way. Average is showing 4.5lt/100km will see how close that is to the mark when I finally have to fill up.  :lol:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "Thumper"
My last trip, from SA back to ACT, all highway driving. (Coldish weather)

600km 3/4 tank
800km 1/2 tank
1050km 1/4 tank

No low fuel light, yet.

110km/h most of the way. Average is showing 4.5lt/100km will see how close that is to the mark when I finally have to fill up.  :lol: [/color]

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
1,150km traveled, DTE says 200km, no low fuel warning light, yet.

When does it come on :?:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thumper,

Being pulled behind a tow truck does'nt count :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
1220km the low fuel light came on. DTE showed 160km

I filled up with 1325km traveled. DTE went from 55km left to blinking '---'

I put 58.92 lt into the tank. (All the way to the top, like the previous fill)

Trip computer shows average to be 4.5lt/100km.

Actual economy was 4.44lt/100km

To fill, cost AUS$107.65 ($1.827 cpl)

Cost AUS$8.12 per 100km.

This is normal highway and city driving with only modification being the sports exhaust.

Hope this helps people who are thinking about changing their exhaust.  8-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Watch out Hans Thulstrup (might have to change your name to Thumstrup... 8-)

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi
dont u mean thumperstruck?
yeah talking bout exhaust systems has it affected the engine in any way cause my hyundai dealer wouldnt give me any details on if i can do it all i got was genuine hyundai crap. but yeah new pb 6.8 litres per hundred km in a petrol engine mite be able to go better i dont know. i usually am flat footing but gave up since fuel prices gave up.

cheers
ash

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ash,

Hans Thulstrup was the Scandinavian guy that does all the long distance economy stuff (was just combining "Thumper" with his name...)

Even our most cautious members don't seem to think the exhaust could do any harm and if the installer follows Thumper's guidelines it would be reversible in ten minutes or so.

Thumper might be away doing some techie stuff but when he gets back on the forum would be interested in his opinion as to whether the exhaust he got made up would also fit the petrol model and if it would make a difference to economy on them as well?  You would have to think it would...

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Hi,
I have a recently aquired CRDI sx (so sans trip computer) :roll:

Heres hoping things improve soon......or its a second C4.

Philippe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi CRM114,

Welcome to the club..I live in one of the coldest parts of Australia(Tasmania) You say it is cold and have an Aussie email address so which state are you in please?

Even down here the very worst I usually get in my CRDi SLX id 5.5 L/100km... We need to sort your car out (don't like having unhappy i30 owners... :lol: (unless it's an auto????)

If none of these things appear to be the cause I would be going back to your dealer and getting them to connect the diagnostic connector (forget what it is called) to their computers to see if it needs reprogramming.

Hope that helps.

P.S. not taking the micky out of you just having a bit of fun. If there is a problem hope they fix it quickly.

Regards,

Dazz

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi  CRM114,

You didnt say, is your i30 auto or manual?

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Hi Daz,

thanks for the welcome.

I'm in SA, Adelaide. So its cold but not as cold as your nick of the woods :shock: Tried again later when warm and could not see anything...

Otherwise its a great little car, my wife and I keep fighting for the Hyundai. Its a lot more 'peppy' than the Cit with the similar engine.

Hi eyma

it's a manual

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I topped up tonight as it was payday. Taken to the usual second click, i used 19.4 litres for 395km, giving me 4.91l/100km. Then I tried the fill to the brim method....after another 11 litres went in and the foaming was taking some time to dissipate, I chickened out before it got to the top, but that extra 11 litres should see me over the 1000km with any luck this time

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "CRM114"
Last night, setting out from the lights (with headlights behind me) I noticed a smoke haze in the mirror. Admitedly the car was stone cold and I did 'sink the boot' a little on that occasion, but I was still surprised :shock: Tried again later when warm and could not see anything...
I doubt that is much...it happens to me quite often when the motor gets above 2500 revs - I notice it more at night when there are headlights behind me, a little puff of diesel haze

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi CRM114,  

7L/100 does seem a bit high. I have a Manual slx deisel and generally have not consistenly been able to match some of the amazing economy figures that some of our memberes here get[ I blame my wife, she drives it mostly and she's a lead foot, sorry dear!] The best economy i got was on a recent trip to the coast where i averaged 4.5L/100. Around town which accounts for most of its use, the trip computer generally sits on 6.3.
I have noticed the fuel economy on ours did seem to improve with a few more K's on it, now reads 6600k. Be patient, and change gears ealier than your instincts tell you and the fuel econ should continue to improve.

PS. good choice of colour. Make sure you vote on the most popular colour poll.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Found another way of reducing my fuel economy .... just trying it out on my old van before adapting it to the i30  8-)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Should call you D_D scooter man
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Hi eyma,
your economy and driving conditions seem closer to mine than anyone elses on this board, so I'll not panic yet. As it turns out, my wife also ends up driving the I30 more often than not, and...she's a lead foot as well ;-)

I think stop start city traffic has a far greater impact than I imagined, and the 6 to 7 l/100 range may well be de rigeur. I say this because the Cit does have a trip computer, and in the same circumstances also returns 6.2 averaged. This is a five KMs trip in congested city traffic (average speed 21km/h) :-0

Maybe the travel is too short, too cold and does not allow the car to 'stretch its legs' enough to return better figures...mmh

Cheers

Philippe

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
i30Dave,
Ah another GT Fan..

I also owned a Phase 1 XW GT HO.. It use to be funny watching the kids at Petrol stations that came and filled up for you.. (in the good old days of service..!) Once the pump got past 80L they started to look around wondering where the fuel was going..  Little did they know the GT HO had a 36 Gal tank...!
Also owned a XB GT with a 28 galon tank.. Would go a Looong way on a tank..!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ahh, reminds me when I was young and....Well, yeah. Owned a XB GT two door. Bright yellow with two black stripes down the middle. (Looked like a bumble bee)

The 351 with 4V heads decided to throw a leg out the side, so while looking around for a replacement block, a 'friend' offered me a 460 big block that was in his old Ford Galaxy.

This engine was duly fitted, with twin 600 Holly double pumpers, electronic ignition, full race extractors, full manual shift kit fitted to the 3 speed auto, 2,500rpm high stall fitted.

It was an absolute animal!  8-)

Looks like my motor is freeing up nicely.  :D

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Anyways, drove from Canberra to Cambletown, then back to Canberra today. All up, average used is showing 3.7lt/100km Intercooler cover and free flowing exhaust being the only mods. (Oh, and 90km/h all the way)  :?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Meh! At least I can't get booked for speeding!  8-)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
well, I can see the results of the overfill method - 230 km before the needle moved off full

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal