i30 Owners Club

First Tankful

iThurT · 121 · 29523

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
Both my 09 and my current i30 show 2-3mph optimistic at a GPS measured 70mph (< 5%) and maintains a similar percentage above and below this speed. As accurate as anything I've ever seen and as good as you can reasonably expect. Then again, the GPS could be miles out!  :-[

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
We btw. tested the accuracy of the speedo with both the GPS navi and some speed display boards on the way. Quite a surprise, as I have been accustome to the fact that speedos generally are always quite optimistic, showing around 5% too much.

Not so with i30, the speedo is accurate within it's physical readability between 50km/h and 120 km/h. That is police patrol car class accuracy!

I did some experiments with speedo and my GPS, here are the results (km/h):

Speedo  GPS

At lower speeds the speedo seems to be less accurate, but at higher speeds accuracy is very good indeed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi saunaman,

Again that is different to my findings over here .. from memory..

about 5kph overreads at 60kph (GPS says around 55kph) and by 120kph (GPS says something like 113kph)

Not that I find it a problem as i have a fairly large speed readout on my MIO GPS and use that on longer trips  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
We btw. tested the accuracy of the speedo with both the GPS navi and some speed display boards on the way. Quite a surprise, as I have been accustome to the fact that speedos generally are always quite optimistic, showing around 5% too much.

Not so with i30, the speedo is accurate within it's physical readability between 50km/h and 120 km/h. That is police patrol car class accuracy!

I did some experiments with speedo and my GPS, here are the results (km/h):

Speedo  GPS

At lower speeds the speedo seems to be less accurate, but at higher speeds accuracy is very good indeed.

We both have 6-speed Czech-made I30's. Are you using 195/65-15 too?

The speedo will get more optimistic with tire wear, but with ones used for only ~2000km (on the first 1500, the car was on studded M+S tires) it seems to be accurate.

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
We both have 6-speed Czech-made I30's. Are you using 195/65-15 too?

I'm having the standard 195/65-15 set of Hankooks, driven about 3500 km with them. I'm noticing slight increase in noise from tires touching the road surface, thus idicating some sort of tire wear.

Generally, I am happy with speedo accuracy - it is the most accurate one I have ever had. My previous car (Mazda 6 -07) had 6 km/h lower actual speed at 100 km/h mark on the clock.

Still waiting for slightly better fuel consumption figures, currenty I'm doing about 5.3-5.7 l/100km figures at 65-70 km/h avgerage speeds. 70% of my driving is at speed limit ranges 80-120 km/h and 30% at ranges 40-70 km/h. My record figure was 5.1 l/100km with winter tires and lower winter speed limits.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
I have just filled up my new UK (Czech made) CRDi Comfort automatic for 2nd time.  Having driven it gently as it is so new - including a longish 180 mile run collecting the car - I have only got about 440 miles on the 1st tankful.  I reckon that is about 40ish to the gallon.  Thats not bad but it is a bit "son-in-law" (ie I had hoped for better!).
I know its a torque converter auto etc, but should I expect better?  Do CRDi's improve with a few miles under their bonnets?
Anyway - its a very nice car, does its job well, is good to drive and quite agile. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do CRDi's improve with a few miles under their bonnets?

My manual Crdi has stayed fairly consistent with her fuel useage but quite a few other CRDi owners on here report fairly significant improvements over time...

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
mines on its 3rd tank of fuel... first got around 900, 2nd got 970 (with a touch more to go) hopefully this one cracks 1000 then i will be truly stoked with this little car!

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
mines on its 3rd tank of fuel... first got around 900, 2nd got 970 (with a touch more to go) hopefully this one cracks 1000 then i will be truly stoked with this little car!

how many litres did those tanks use?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
the reason i say a touch more to go... the light hadnt come on yet and the gauge was still above empty by about a needle width if that makes sense to you

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Because Tassie is so hilly and I just drive "normally" I usually only just crack the 1000 km mark if I fill her up close to "chockers"  :wink:

On my recent trip I went Devonport to Hobart drove around all over the place in Hobart including 3 or four trips to Howden which is probably 25kms south of Hobart (where my Auntie lives) then came home via Launceston (did some tripping around there too). I then had a hurried  :wink: trip via Frankford (nice winding backroad) and then still had enough to go to Burnie yesterday to do some relief work... still no light on  :eek: (reckon I could have got to Burnie and back again today without running out but decided to get a refill in Devonport last night..

Did well over 900 with 2 adults and lots of luggage most of the time... It's worth looking at a map of Tassie to see where I went (it really hits home just how "convenient" these little CRDi's are  :mrgreen:

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
the reason i say a touch more to go... the light hadnt come on yet and the gauge was still above empty by about a needle width if that makes sense to you

Nice! That's about 5.3L/100km. I wish I could get to 1000km. My last tank was something like 880kms, my trip computer was flashing -- saying I had no km til empty but when I filled I only put in 48L. This tank is filled right up so I'm gonna try push it further even if it says --. Oh and the needle was below the empty line..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
if, my fuel light is on for say 30k & i fill to the top, 57L is about it so you boys have 1,000k plus per tank don't be shy.
cheers

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
if i changed my driving style a bit it would probably also help...

meh im happy with what i does... its f#*&ing unbeliveable...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yes i guess if you shift at below 2,500 to 3,000 it helps, but i drive mine how i want and i use the Torque & the boost for the thrust it gives, and i go over 1,000 per tank, unless i'm about to do a trip and have to fill up b4 leaving. they seem to feel even better 30,000k & up. but economy for me has always stayed the same it's more to do with how i drive. but still 1,000k per tank is easy. 1,400 takes more self control & needs to be in rural area, & on longer trip so motor is @ runing temps

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Another pertinent question is which fuel do you both use? This is also an important factor. I have been using Shell diesel this whole time...

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i use Caltex vortex diesel, but have used BP, Shell & Mobil. i have never noticed a gain in economy useing Vortex, just motor feels more responcive.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
The economy of the CRDi is impressive I agree. On my second tank at the moment and I am estimating I'll get just over 800km at 5.7l/100km. Considering I have been driving a Ford Territory with an average consumption of just over 13l/100km I'm feeling pretty happy with my snappy i30.... :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The economy of the CRDi is impressive I agree. On my second tank at the moment and I am estimating I'll get just over 800km at 5.7l/100km. Considering I have been driving a Ford Territory with an average consumption of just over 13l/100km I'm feeling pretty happy with my snappy i30.... :D

I am currently looking at an upgrade to something bigger (after more than 2 years with my CRDi manual ...) and won't even consider anything that does worse than 8 LPH..makes the list fairly short...as I have already dropped a few for other reasons (too ugly, poor resale etc..)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
hybrid camry??? you have to admit they do look pretty nice!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I am currently looking at an upgrade to something bigger (after more than 2 years with my CRDi manual ...) and won't even consider anything that does worse than 8 LPH..makes the list fairly short...as I have already dropped a few for other reasons (too ugly, poor resale etc..)

Dazz what about a SV6 Comodore with the new motor? my brother in Law got one about 3 months ago and loves it say's gets good economy, i think they shut cylinders down if you drive slow or cruise or idle, he gets 8L/100k he say's. he got it to tow his boat but has not towed yet as too cold for the boat.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
put that very same commo in heavy trafic in stop start conditions... i doubt it would get that sort of economy... i30 on the other hand...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had a Hybrid Camry recently for a whole day did something like 130 kms and averaged under 7 but felt fairly unresponsive for 140kw and a little bit bland in the styling for me and over 40K on the road for the lesser model... (think I can do better for that money)

Hi John,

Would be surprised if the new SIDI commodore would average 8.0 or less feedback i've heard is closer to 9 average and more if you give them a bit of stick (I could be wrong) They are good value at the moment around 35K with 18" alloys and leather  :eek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I had a Hybrid Camry recently for a whole day did something like 130 kms and averaged under 7 but felt fairly unresponsive for 140kw and a little bit bland in the styling for me and over 40K on the road for the lesser model... (think I can do better for that money)

Hi John,

Would be surprised if the new SIDI commodore would average 8.0 or less feedback i've heard is closer to 9 average and more if you give them a bit of stick (I could be wrong) They are good value at the moment around 35K with 18" alloys and leather  :eek:

well, with larger cars, and small motors you can't expect excitement. bro in law has driven everything, as he has a dealers & wholesalers licence but just about retired now, still he has good contacts and he is impressed with the way the commo performs and how good economy is. me i don't like the look of the rear . especialy the wing on the boot, they look square & fat from the rear. but there is not much choice. i drove my V8 ute 70 k across syd & back yesturday and trip computer showed 9.7 average per 100k, used the M7 motorway for part of the trip but was in traffic.
my Ute does not shut cylinders down, like the commo so when i idle i have 8 cylinders taking fuel & firing. the way the new V6 & V8 commo's work the 8 can be in 4 @ idle the 6 can be on 3 @ idle so in traffic idling they could surprise you. but for me you can't tell me your doing it to save money Dazz LOL.
go and buy an Audi.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Of over 25 cars I have had only one 6 Cyl and one very thirsty 2.4 Magna most of the rest have been very good on fuel....(I inherited tight genes)

I like the look of the new Commodore and Falcon for that matter and they are both good value but couldn't live with that fuel economy..

I like to keep my overheads down.. Getting quite self sufficient on our two acres (tank water and seweridge...nice veggie garden etc...)

If I keep my fuel economy low might be able to chuck my job all together... :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you could make your own fuel.  :rolleyes: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thats great Dazz. good for you too, we have a vege patch & fruit tree's too. & large rain water tank .
will be good to see what way you go, with new car.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

you could make your own fuel.  :rolleyes: :lol:

Don't know about that, however...my Brother has just built a new house in Kingscliff (N.S.W.)and is generating more power than he can use  :eek: Unfortunately in Tassie the rebates etc.. are far less attractive (or I would be doing that too...)

We ar going to put in a small orchard  :D

Sorry for the off topic.. :-[

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal