i30 Owners Club

General diesel or premium?

i30joe · 28 · 8559

Offline i30joe

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Jarrow
May upset a few people here lol. I've only been driving 2 years and only been driving a diesel a week.

What are the benefits of using the premium fuels ie cleaner, better consumption.
Or what are the pitfalls of using the cheap stuff.

Baring in mind I'm driving for a young family and cost can be important. I'm trying to gather info to find the right fuel for me.

Cheers in advance

Joe
  • 2011 i30 crdi comfort

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Never really a question of economy for me. I was recommended BP Ultimate by the dealer at sale time and I've been doing that ever since, with the exception of the occasional tank of Costco's discount fuel for a handful of interstate runs in the last 6 months. Not an economy question because I could always find BP Ultimate at a price to match the ordinary stuff. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline i30joe

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Jarrow
See in the UK the premium fuel costs on average maybe 20p per litre more
  • 2011 i30 crdi comfort

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
when i had my diesel i just used the ordinary stuff
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
See in the UK the premium fuel costs on average maybe 20p per litre more

Crazy really, when it is generally the same price here (where available) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Does the premium diesel over there have a lower sulphur PPM content than regular diesel?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does the premium diesel over there have a lower sulphur PPM content than regular diesel?
Check this out for the premium stuff

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-v-power-nitro-plus/shell-v-power-nitro-plus-diesel.html
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Check this out for the premium stuff

:link: Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel | Shell
Interesting, thanks. :goodjob2:

Over here the different servos have their additives, although I am not sure how credible it is and if they work. Shell has V-Power, Caltex has Techron, Sasol and Engen have their ULS blends of diesel (<50ppm), BP has their Ultimate line of fuels and Total has their Evolution line.

As mentioned I do not know how much they differ in terms of performance and additives but they are all more or less the same price, except for the low sulphur diesels which are about AU$1 more than the standard 500ppm variants.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I try to fill up from reputable stations. Your main concern may be from unreliable service stations where you could pick up contaminated fuel. I find with one particular brand of diesel I always hit at least 1000km a tank with Castrol Vortex (sorry Australian here) other brands I am usually 60-80ks off 1000km
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Assuming all brand name fuels are suitable, the one thing I avoid is discount stations that look like they do low volume, as much as I like to support the independents. The chance of contamination is higher with fuel that doesn't move as fast, so busy stations with high volume turnover are generally safer. :goodjob:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I've used whatever diesel is convenient. I've heard of "ultimate" or "premium" diesel but have never seen it where I regularly fill up. If Caltex Vortex diesel is "premium" then it's made no difference to the car's performance or economy.

The local Shell servo has a diesel bowser with a sign "trucks only". But I fill up from it regardless, as it has a high flow pump, which means less than half the time to fill it.

Of course it matters not when I pull up and have to wait 5 mins before I can get to the damned thing...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I use hi-flo all the time alongside the trucks. It's becoming more common at the car bowsers as well. :victory:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How does the high flow go with foaming the diesel.

Just the normal speed takes a fair while to brim the tank....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't get foam with Ultimate. :victory:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi joe , just eliminate all advice from Australia, the fuel here is different, i think BP changed the Ultimate diesel formula here after some of it blew up at a refinery about three or four years back. think it's our climate.
we pay more for the Catex Vortex Diesel & The BP Ultimate too just in some area's there is heavy discounting so looks like it is same just i've seen both Ultimate & normal diesel in same servo & was 4 to 5 cents more expensive . i can feel the motor runs smoother on the premium, not a lot but can notice it. but there is no difference in economy i could notice, i was hoping there was but in 6 years of trying both no difference, BUT BIG difference in economy the way you drive.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
How does the high flow go with foaming the diesel.

Just the normal speed takes a fair while to brim the tank....
I'm a "first clicker", not a "brimmer", so I don't know if it foams up more. But having said that, I fill as soon as possible after the low fuel alert is initiated. That means that I'll fill it to the first click with 43l of fuel. Same whether it dribbles in via the normal bowser or via the hi-flow "truck" bowser.

And that lines up with what the manual says. 53l tank, low alert at 10l, equals 43l to fill.

I'd imagine that you'd be rather silly to try and brim it fast with the hi-flow. Aside from it cutting out all the time, there would be a higher chance of some serious blowback.

Safety-wise, it's not an issue - diesel is hard to ignite. But the stuff stinks to high heaven and hard to wash out.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think you get a protective glove in new cars, but not nice on your work shirt just before work commences.  :Pout: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
It's interesting how mjt57 can get 43 litres in to the first click.

No matter what brand I go with, first click is at around 35 litres, and then slow going from there to full brim (ie the remaining 15-20 litres).  They all seem to foam up a lot (Caltex Vortex is the least), but does take around 10 minutes to fill the tank full.

Low alert light comes on between 3 and 5 litres left in the tank depending on driving - if it is highway then only 3 litres left, around town is usually 5 litres left in tank - ie: around 50kms.

I also get the same fuel consumption between all brands of diesel - within 50kms to the tank, and very rarely 1000km or more. 

I tried Shell for 2 years, then BP for a year and now I'm trying Caltex.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My first click is at @ 43 litres but I always then brim it to @ 53 litres.
Because I do @ 1,000 kms per week, it means I spend less time at the servo.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
It's interesting how mjt57 can get 43 litres in to the first click.

Why do you think that this may be?

But yes, it matters not whether I fill at the regular BP down the road using either the high flow or low flow pumps or the local Caltex (I have Caltex and BP fuel cards for the car), or the BP "rest stops" in Officer, east of Melbourne, if when the fuel light comes on, I make it a point to fill up ASAP. Usually it's within a few kays and always around the 43l mark.

Low alert light comes on between 3 and 5 litres left in the tank depending on driving - if it is highway then only 3 litres left, around town is usually 5 litres left in tank - ie: around 50kms.

Driving style shouldn't make any difference. The low alert comes up based on actual level in the tank, not how you're driving it. And the manual says there's about 10l left when the light comes on, anyway.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well would probably depend how low your tank is when you refills to how many L you get in on first click, also how fast the pump is pumping fuel in at. Some tanks fill quicker with  pump facing in different directions my Hi Lux diesel fills faster with pump upside down, but a local bush servo I fill at had one diesel bowser over on own and next to a grassy slope, I drive in on grassy slope the ute just about tipped over one side & she fills real fast. On a flat pump needs to be upside down or she clicks a lot
Diesel cheaper here in Sydney today that petrol. I'm useing public transport ( good )

Offline ThosN

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
I've been driving diesel cars for about 20 years and have always kept a close eye on economy (mpg where I live...I'm too old to learn that litres thing!  I don't rely on the built in economy features on the cars I've had but rather measure the consumption the old-fashioned way by consistently filling the tank to the same number of cut-off clicks on level ground and working out the mpg by calculation.  I've only just got my i30 two days ago so haven't got to do that with it yet. 

Anyway, enough waffle, in the UK there are three distinct and very different types of diesel - Premium (eg BP Ultimate), 'normal' diesel (higher sulphur content) and city diesel (ultra low sulphur, aka supermarket diesel from Sainsbury, Tesco etc). 

Firstly, you need to be aware that sulphur acts as a lubricant in a diesel engine and therefore, although you will be doing your bit for the environment with city diesel you will not be doing either your engine or your bank balance any favours.  In my last car the city diesel consistently gave at least 5 miles less per gallon! 

Secondly, the premium diesels contain additives which raise the cetane rating of the fuel which gives a cleaner and smoother burn.  This reduces the level of classic diesel 'rattle' especially when the engine is cold. 

The problem with the premium diesel is the premium price...can be up to 20 pence per litre extra!  A good compromise is to use normal diesel with an additive such as Miller Ecomax.  It is added at each fill and allegedly increases the cetane rating of the diesel. I can certainly confirm that it makes any diesel run more quietly and smoothly.  As regards the cost it currently works out around 5 pence per litre which is less than the extra for BP Ultimate. 

Sorry to go on for so long.  This is my first post on the forum and I promise to make my next one much shorter!!

Tom
  • i30 CRDI Active Auto - Aqua Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wttc: Tom.  :Agoodpost: Nothing wrong with the length (I've always said length isn't important)

Interesting about the clicking off thing. Most on here prefer to brim each time as clicking off varies pump to pump and station to station.  :undecided:

Offline ThosN

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi Dazzler,

I reckon the clicking off only varies by a relatively small amount, maybe a litre or so between pumps.  Anyhow, due to diesel laundering being prevalent in N.I. If you care about your car you'll limit your fuel purchases to a couple of filling stations that you are sure will supply good fuel.  It's a really bad thing here to make an impulse purchase of diesel from some of the outlets whose diesel is significantly cheaper than the majority.  That usually indicates that their diesel may be agricutural DERV from which the dye has been removed with the use of sulphuric acid and Fullers Earth or cat litter!!  Different tax rates for agricultural (red) diesel in the UK!

Anyway, that means that I'm nearly always buying my diesel from either one of two BP stations so the 'click off' method works fine.  It has the added benefit of guarding against diesel pouring over my shoes!  I reckon it's as accurate as I need as my results for consumption have been very consistent over the years.  Just remember to use the same number of clicks each time and ensure that a. The ground is level and b. There are no overweight people in your vehicle!!!

By the way, I'll get around to using emoticons and other decorative enhancements eventually.  Just takes time for a child of the sixties!

• i30 CRDI Active Auto - Aqua Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fair Call Tom.  :goodjob: We don't seem to have the same variation in Diesel quality in Australia (generally) :cool:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :wttc:
Hi Tom & welcome, thats good info you have given!
in Australia some servo's have a sign, truck diesel, car diesel, at least in my state they do, the truck diesel has more sulphur , i've known people that put an OZ of two stroke oil to a tank. even knew one old chap who would put a vitamin C tablet in to a full tank.
i now live in a sleepy coastal town so all we get is the truck diesel, when i go up Sydney i fill up with BP Ultimate diesel but get it cheaper there than normal truck diesel here, seems to run smoother but no other gain.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

in Australia some servo's have a sign, truck diesel, car diesel, at least in my state they do, the truck diesel has more sulphur
You sure about this? I thought that the EPA standard was 50ppm diesel.

I fill up at the local BP's "high flow" truck diesel bowser. The receipt always says "50 ppm diesel".

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :welcum: ThosN.

Most of the mainstream service stations around where I live (BP & Caltex) only serve premium diesel so that is what my car gets.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal