i30 Owners Club

Surferdude's New Tyres

Surferdude · 118 · 36608

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Bump.

Got almost 82,000 klms up now. Measured the tread depth today.

All 4 are at 3.5mm.
So. About 53,000klms from them so far.
I'd normally go to about 2.5mm but I'll do something about these by the end of the year.

Been pretty happy with them. Extremely good grip in the dry and on loose surfaces. Predictable in their handling.
Slightly less so in the wet but I'm not sure how much of that is the car's characteristics. I'll know when I replace them.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like you are considering trying something else next time Trevor?  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sounds like you are considering trying something else next time Trevor?  :cool:
Still a Goodyear Dazz. Efficient Grip or Excellence.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I have both.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I have both.   :D
  :question: :question:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
He's talking about his hand on his willy...  :lol:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My diesel i30 is just about to click over 70,000km. The original Hankooks are still hanging in there....but won't for much longer.

I can get the correct tyres 205/55R16 in the Duraplus for $135 each (buy 3 and get the 4th one free until 31-12-15).

Just wondering if there would be a better tyre around now...

I had the Durapluses fitted to my Getz (at Trev's recommendation) about 45,000km ago and they are fine. Thanks Trev!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the feedback Paolo. Always good to hear.

The 443 is a good deal when it's on.

I'm probably due for some new ones this year. I'm going to try the Efficient Grip. It's available in your size too. Might be worth asking for a price to compare. Otherwise, stay with what you're happy with. The Duraplus certainly gives good mileage.

:link: EAGLE EFFICIENTGRIP, Goodyear, Australia

Otherwise, the Assurance Armorgrip might be a go. Its tread pattern suggests a bit better in the wet, but "maybe" fractionally less wear.

:link: ASSURANCE ARMORGRIP, Goodyear, Australia

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Trev.
I think that I will stick with the Duraplus tyres.

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here is one for you, Trev....hope that you can advise me...

I had 4 Dunlop Duraplus tyres fitted yesterday. The original tyres were on the car for 70,034km...which I am happy with.

I was going to leave the rears on for another 10,000km but it was pointed out that the inside edge of the driver's side rear tyre was smooth....and wouldn't have passed rego.

I have always rotated radial tyres front-to-back every 10,000km.

The Duraplus is an asymmetrical tyre that is non-directional. What I am wondering is whether it would be better to rotate them front-to-back
or 
fronts to straight back and rears to cross over to opposite fronts.

My thoughts are that if I had rotated the way mentioned above, this wear mentioned above would not have concentrated on this one tyre. Is this flawed logic? Which is the best way to rotate for this particular tyre....and what pressures should I run? (I have always used 40psi (cold) front and 36psi (cold) rear.

Thanks,
Paolo
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 21:35:55 by Paolo5 »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Here is one for you, Trev....hope that you can advise me...

I had 4 Dunlop Duraplus tyres fitted yesterday. The original tyres were on the car for 70,034km...which I am happy with.

I was going to leave the rears on for another 10,000km but it was pointed out that the inside edge of the driver's side rear tyre was smooth....and wouldn't have passed rego.

I have always rotated radial tyres front-to-back every 10,000km.

The Duraplus is an asymmetrical tyre that is non-directional. What I am wondering is whether it would be better to rotate them front-to-back
or 
fronts to straight back and rears to cross over to opposite fronts.

My thoughts are that if I rotate the way mentioned above, this wear mentioned above would not have concentrated on this one tyre. Is this flawed logic? Which is the best way to rotate for this particular tyre....and what pressures should I run? (I have always used 40psi (cold) front and 36psi (cold) rear.

Thanks,
Paolo
"Goodyear" Duraplus.  :P
And yes, Rotate them as per your second option. ie. Rears cross over to opposite front.
Cheers.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Trev,
My Getz "Goodyear" Duraplus tyres have now done 45,000 km. I will rotate them as per plan B next time.

What pressures would you advise for my diesel? (Mainly highway kilometres with just driver on board.)

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Trev,
My Getz "Goodyear" Duraplus tyres have now done 45,000 km. I will rotate them as per plan B next time.

What pressures would you advise for my diesel? (Mainly highway kilometres with just driver on board.)

Cheers,
Paolo
I run mine at 36psi all round. It's a petrol but most of the guys on here seem to go with around 36 on their diesels.

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
I run 40 front & 37 rear
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And I run 38psi all round with my diesel...  :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
41 all 'round. Still original rears at 84,000. Fronts lasted to 65,000 due to uneven wear from misalignment.  :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
36psi was what I ran with standard Hankooks, 38psi now with the 18"s.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I replaced the Durapluses today.
Got a bit over 56,000 klms out of them with still about 4mm on them all. They were quiet, rode well. I never rebalanced them after the original fitting. Nor did another wheel alignment  :-[
If I had to find a down side to them, they probably could have been a bit better in the wet on roundabouts. Pushing hard (too hard??) brought in a touch of understeer.

Gone with Goodyear Assurance Triplemax.

I'll keep you posted.
Can't tell you the price or I'd have to kill you.  :mrgreen:
Wheel alignment was still close to specs.

Tread pic

Fitted

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had my original tyres replaced with Goodyear Duraplus tyres just over a month ago...no complaints but an observation...

According to my TomTom, with the original tyres the speedo was spot-on through its range.

With the Goodyear Duraplus tyres, when the GPS reads 110kph, the speedo reads 114kph.

My Getz suffered the same glitch when going to the Duraplus tyres several years ago.

Has anyone else noticed a speedo becoming less accurate after changing to tyres of a different brand and type (but the same size)  to those fitted as original equipment?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would rather the speedo over reads, which is much more common than dead accurate, but I see where you are coming from. ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Interesting observation.

The specs of all tyre sizes are governed by guidelines which allow for small variances in design but they must conform to be within certain minimal variances. These are set and overseen in Australia by the Australian Tyre and Rim Manufacturers Association. There are similar bodies in North America, Europe and Japan and generally the dimensions are the same.

Given a tyre size - say 195/65R15 which fits my car, the 195 is the width in mm between the extremities of the sidewalls (inflated to a set pressure and allowed to stand for a period - I think 24 hours) (Oh. And on the "design" rim for the size. ie. The optimum fitment). The 65 is 65% of the width which should be the height between the tread and the bead where it mounts on the rim. It's not much but the other factor is the difference in diameter between a new tyre and one which is worn out.

So, if a manufacturer makes a tyre which is say, 192mm wide, it's 65% will be less than the one which is maybe 197mm wide (both within tolerance for design). In theory, the manufacturer should adjust the 65% marginally to allow for this but maybe that doesn't always happen.

Hope I haven't lost you. And the above is a pretty simplified explanation of the whole process.

But this could explain the difference you're seeing.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In every car I have owned the speedo has always been between 5 and 10% fast.  I have never known one to be dead accurate.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In every car I have owned the speedo has always been between 5 and 10% fast.  I have never known one to be dead accurate.
10% is enormous.
I must admit it's only the last couple where ive tried for accurate comparisons, but they've been a bit under 5%. We used to run checks on our Halda trip meters for rallying but that was for distance and I always assumed any variance in the speedo was reflected in the odometer.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
IIRC my runs through the Ballarat max 117 meters registered 106 for my speedo's 110. That makes it (110-106)/110=4/110=3.6% :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Police pursuit cars over here have calibrated speedos (not Speedos) so are accurate.
But most others I've driven are optimistic.
One of my cars reads under though so need to be careful.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
IIRC my runs through the Ballarat max 117 meters registered 106 for my speedo's 110. That makes it (110-106)/110=4/110=3.6% :goodjob:

I wouldn't take those speed check readings as gospel, Gonz...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/drivers-confused-by-electronic-speed-advisory-signs/news-story/0a2f7f05d37047ea6e91f07d4054d41d

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal