i30 Owners Club

From 15's rims to 16 or 17"

Raid · 44 · 14834

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
Perhaps, but how much do they cost? Porsche uses magnesium alloy wheels on the 911 GT because they are light weight. I used to have a Peugeot 306 and the people who raced 306's used the 15 inch steel wheels because they were lighter than alloy wheels.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Perhaps, but how much do they cost? Porsche uses magnesium alloy wheels on the 911 GT because they are light weight. I used to have a Peugeot 306 and the people who raced 306's used the 15 inch steel wheels because they were lighter than alloy wheels.
My semi forged Koya's are roughly $350 each.

Basic 15" steels may well be slightly lighter than standard large alloys but the difference would be minimal, they're not lighter than semi forged rims and some of the Weld wheels I used on my drag cars were even lighter.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 16:14:24 by CraigB »

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
My semi forged Koya's are roughly $350 each.

Basic 15" steels may well be slightly lighter than standard large alloys but the difference would be minimal, they're not lighter than semi forged rims and some of the Weld wheels I used on my drag cars were even lighter.

I dont think the difference was minimal. We're talking at least a kilo per corner, probably more. You're average OEM alloys are not light weight.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
After half a lifetime of working with wheels, tyres and suspensions on both road going and competition vehicles I can tell you that, except in  the most high performance track vehicles,  the extra weight per wheel will be of no significant detriment to the car's performance and handling.
But going from 16" to 17 " will have a noticeable benefit for the car.
With the usual proviso as mentioned by Gonz, that the ride will be more stiff (which would be seen as a benefit in the handling area), and the tyre and wheel assembly would be noticeably more susceptible to damage from potholes etc.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
After half a lifetime of working with wheels, tyres and suspensions on both road going and competition vehicles I can tell you that, except in  the most high performance track vehicles,  the extra weight per wheel will be of no significant detriment to the car's performance and handling.
But going from 16" to 17 " will have a noticeable benefit for the car.
With the usual proviso as mentioned by Gonz, that the ride will be more stiff (which would be seen as a benefit in the handling area), and the tyre and wheel assembly would be noticeably more susceptible to damage from potholes etc.

The difference becomes more noticeable if the damping of the suspension isnt that hi-tech. Which is true of these cars.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What's a "Kia Cee's" (your signature) ?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
What's a "Kia Cee's" (your signature) ?
I think the S and D are too close together on his keyboard. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I went to look at an i30cw yesterday and really liked the car, which has 17" rims on it (I can't remember but I'm assuming they'd be 225/45R17). As mentioned in the above post people are saying lower profile means a less comfy ride, one big problem I have now is that my stiff 4WD suspension in my current car wakes up my 9 month old baby, which is not good for my serenity...

I would prefer some stock 15" rims/wheel package, but will the 17" be that noticeable (i.e. not worth buying the car for)? I guess I could always sell the rims/tyres and buy a 15" set if it annoys me. Also cost doesn't seem too bad for the smaller profile tyres, an extra $50 or so for each tyre compared to the 15" alternative.

Thanks for any info :)
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Depends on what roads you drive on. For city and country driving out 17's are fine. The i30 is a small vehicle compared to 4WD etc and it will never soak up bumps like a large vehicle, no matter what you do. However, we are happy with our vehicle as is.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:13:08 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As you say you can always sell them and get some smaller diameter rims if you don't like them, so no big issue.
Go for it, I'd say.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like you were looking at a sportswagon with the chrome look wheel inserts and the upgraded trim etc.. They are petrol only and pretty rare if that is the case. The 17's fill the arches nicely. Obviously you need to test drive it on a mixture of surfaces before you commit.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Dazz is right.
Longish test drive  is required.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The suspension is reasonably soft on the i30's so 17's shouldn't be an issue, I still find my 18's quite comfortable.

I always found kids will sleep through anything if their tired ( even my loud music :D ), enjoy the extra handling benefits of the 17's and bub will get used to it :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal