Tyres - Replacing the Front

Stuwoolf · 40 · 11342

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I recall helping a friend pass inspection with a mix of radial and conventional and he was advised to put the conventional on the front (RWD).
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I thought Trevor pretty much summed it up by explaining how the Layers got involved and the way I read it things got a bit skewed from there. I won't quote the reference, it is in this thread somewhere. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I thought Trevor pretty much summed it up by explaining how the Layers got involved and the way I read it things got a bit skewed from there. I won't quote the reference, it is in this thread somewhere. :undecided:

I've tried to find info on the Court case but details seem to be rare as hens teeth... :whistler: (did you see what I did there? Layer? Hen? oh forget it...lol)

Anyhow, I did find this article which talks about some Court cases...  :undecided:
:link: Where Do Two New Tires Go?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I guess it's like most things. There is not a wrong and a right. It depends on circumstances the type and drive wheels of the vehicle, quality and type of roads and general weather conditions. Vive la difference. .or whatever they say..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
A late cousin of mine killed a boy who ran out from between cars. My cousin never recovered from what had happened, although the Police said there was nothing he could do. I don't remember if the road was wet or dry, but the best tyres go on the front for me. I couldn't live with that scenario.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline mik3yy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
This can also be a good help, this might be some basics but I myself still read it, how do you really choose the right tyre for your car?
:link: How to choose the right tyres for my car?
  • Hyundai i30 Turbo

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This can also be a good help, this might be some basics but I myself still read it, how do you really choose the right tyre for your car?

Welcome Mike.. Great to see a brand new member making helpful suggestions.  :hatoff:

Offline guitarized

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Toulouse
Hello everybody,

gotta change my tyres last months and I had to do that in 2 times, not enough money to change the 4 =)

I was told by every mechanics I saw to change first the rear ones, even if the front tyres were really damaged.

Just to contribute =)
  • Hyundai i30 2007 Diesel 115cv

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Ive always gone with the reccomendation of best on the rear. Last winter, after reading and watching a lot of discussions on the topic I decided to test the opposites, good on front.

Hit black ice on the road at 50km/h(on a 80 road) and lost traction on all four two weeks later. Ended up rear down the ditch on the opposite side of the road into a snowbank. With a small tug I could drive it out and no harm done thanks to the snow.

What happened was that the fronts gripped before the rears when speed came down, flipping the car around. With the climate here its not the first time I have lost all four, but the first time I ended up off the road.

Shifted back to the good tires on rear the same day, scary experience, Im lucky there was no oncoming traffic at the time. Nedless to say, my good are always gonna be on the rear, if breakng is bad its due time to replace them(shifting the rears forward and new ones on rear).

Whats best in hotter climates I dont know, but in the cold I do know I would never have the better tires up front.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline mik3yy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Welcome Mike.. Great to see a brand new member making helpful suggestions.  :hatoff:

Thank you so much, It's a pleasure to be a part of this forum, I'm glad to help in my simple ways.
  • Hyundai i30 Turbo

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal