i30 Owners Club

petrol controversy again

John B · 14 · 4351

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
On the news in Queensland the other night there was a segment about drivers wasting their money by putting 95 petrol in their cars and that the fuel companies are making a fortune from it . They state the extra kms gained if any, does not justify the cost. The main reason I have been using 95 is because I believe it  is a cleaner fuel than the standard unleaded ( I stand to be corrected if not true ).  I believe in the UK that they do not have standard 91 unleaded only the 95 what is their reasoning for this ?   I know it has been suggested that you can use standard 91 fuel and then use an additive to keep the injectors clean but to be honest the low kms that I do the cost of the 95 is not a problem . I know this subject has been raised many times before but it is hard to get the hard cold facts. Needless to say my i30 is running like a dream, ( I mean a good dream and not what you are thinking.   :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm one of the advocates for 91 and an occasional additive. Mine is also a low mileage car but I'm a cheapskate (hi Dazz  :P).
The car runs as smoothly as I would expect it to.
I'm also anti the fuel companies with their pricing games so I won't give them any kore than i have to.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unless the 91 rating fuel gets cleaning additives added to it I think it should be pulled from the market, the girlfriend was always putting 91 in her Excel and after numerous suggestions from myself over the years she finally started using 95, it took probably 3/4's of a tank before results showed but it runs so much better now and quieter as well :goodjob2:

The price difference from 91 to 95 on a full tank is about $3, cheaper than putting additives in it to improve crap fuel :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm no expert in this area at all, but I always use premium fuels.
I use premium Caltex or BP in my i30 and premium ULP in my classic cars.
  • Tertius the i30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You're a Premium Classic, Doggie. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Merci, monsieur.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Merci, monsieur.
That'd be...Terima kasih, Mr.  For our Indonesian export :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Merci, monsieur.
That'd be...Terima kasih, Mr, for our Indonesian export :D

Thanks, mate!
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
In cars that are designed to use it, I don't mind E10 which down here is 95 octane. It is a cent per litre cheaper than 91, so best of both worlds.. :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The additive only goes in about every 6 months.
I've been using 91 exclusively since it came on the market with no issues.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
On the news in Queensland the other night there was a segment about drivers wasting their money by putting 95 petrol in their cars and that the fuel companies are making a fortune from it . They state the extra kms gained if any, does not justify the cost. The main reason I have been using 95 is because I believe it  is a cleaner fuel than the standard unleaded ( I stand to be corrected if not true ). I believe in the UK that they do not have standard 91 unleaded only the 95 what is their reasoning for this ?  I know it has been suggested that you can use standard 91 fuel and then use an additive to keep the injectors clean but to be honest the low kms that I do the cost of the 95 is not a problem . I know this subject has been raised many times before but it is hard to get the hard cold facts. Needless to say my i30 is running like a dream, ( I mean a good dream and not what you are thinking.   :lol:

I believe that 95 octane is standard throughout Europe.  As to why, well I'm not sure, most petrol used to be leaded of course and mainly 95 or more though during the changeover there were special fuels sold for cars which needed lead, some sort of additives.

I suppose it helps to have a standard minimum octane rating across a large market as no special adjustments have to be made on a regional basis. Most cars today will actually retard the ignition if they detect lower octane though.

A lot of petrol stations also sell premium fuel at 98/99/100 octane. That only really works in engines which are designed to make use of it, mine isn't.  The high octane fuels also claim to have more cleaning agents in the fuel, which may or may not work. :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A lot of petrol stations also sell premium fuel at 98/99/100 octane. That only really works in engines which are designed to make use of it, mine isn't.  The high octane fuels also claim to have more cleaning agents in the fuel, which may or may not work. :)
98 is the highest readily available fuel here on pump, not seen 99 or 100 except for a couple of places where I used to pickup BP 100 and 120 in 200ltr drums direct from the depot for my Mini.

I've tuned my i30 for 98 now and I notice the difference between BP 98 and Shell VPower ( haven't tested Caltex Vortex 98 ), BP 98 doesn't ping but it doesn't have the same energy of the VPower or the anti-friction additives so I stick to the VPower 99% of the time "when I can find it"

There's been several claims over the years that BP 98 has a true rating of 97 :undecided: the slight power drop I feel when using it would suggest those claims might be true.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I've always used 95 on my petrol cars. The 92 octane is only 0,06 AUD cheaper per liter so I see no reason not to use 95.

Many of the smaller service stations don't have capacity to store both 92 & 95 so even though you chose 92 at the bowser, you actually get 95.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal