Problems With the Routing Feature on Car Sat Nav

AlanHo · 1 · 2931

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have posted this here in the belief that there is a degree of commonality with KIA and Hyundai Sat Navs.

We have just returned from a week’s holiday in Norfolk using our Niro - which incidentally averaged a brim to brim economy of 66.5 mpg (4.25 l/100 km) over the distance of 541 miles (870 km) covered.

Back on topic :-

There were various places we wished to visit so I planned some of the trips in advance and saved the routes on the car’s and my Garmin sat-nav. Each trip had a final destination and up to 4 waypoints inserted in the order we wanted to either stop at, or drive via.

You may wonder why I use the Garmin sat nav in parallel with the KIA sat-nav. The answer is that the Garmin has up-to-date maps, road speed indications, directional speed camera warnings and has proved reliable in its routing. It’s a good job I used it for this holiday.

The reason is that the KIA sat nav preferred to travel the shortest or fastest route and ignored the waypoints built into the planned route. If I veered off the course it had plotted to visit one of the way points – it would constantly recalculate a new route to take me back to its preference and not the next waypoint planned.

This did not happen with the Garmin – it followed the exact route pre-planned and took us to the waypoints in the order prescribed.

This is the first time I have used the KIA route planning feature and the problem could be “operator” error rather than a software bug - but I don't see how.

If any members here have used the route planning function on their car satnav – I would appreciate hearing how they got on with it.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal