i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i45

eye30 · 120 · 46551

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I love the i45, the only problems being the fact that they're not bringing out a diesel (for a while at least) and that you can't get the nice models with a proper (i.e. manual) gearbox.  :mad:

As to the question of the diesel, while I don't have any recent inside knowledge I do know that Hyundai are very proud of and focused on their diesel technology so I can't imagine that the i45 will never come with a diesel. The R diesel in an i45 would make for a luuuuuverly car.  :mrgreen:

P.S. I am also disappointed by the "i45" badge. As far as I know Australia is the only place it's called that and my armchair guess is that they are importing the cars without the Sonata badge they would normally get and fitting the i45 badge in Australia. The badge itself looks quite crappy, like the SX/SLX/SR stickers they put on the side of i30s. The i45 badge is definitely not up to the quality standard of the i30 badge. It's a blight on a very classy car.  :neutral:

P.P.S. On another matter, if you go and look at one in a showroom make sure you check out the taillights while they're on. They look fantastic when they're lit up.   :D

Offline Dogga

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia

• I'm Free..........
While I was waiting for my 1000km service I went into the showroom to take a peek. I looks the goods, all dressed up in leather with a very fancy dash and a type of flappy paddle gear shift on the wheel.

By the look of the very dirty/scuffed chrome finish on the upper door trims it is attracting a lot of tyre kickers

Very nice 8) 8) 8)
  • 2011 SLX CRDi Sleek Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
For once in my life I'm doing lots of research before buying a car .. I intend driving an i45, a Suzuki Kizashi, a Mazda 6 Diesel and even a Camry Hybrid .. at this stage my Ideal car would have the body and interior of the i45 with an R diesel (or the mazda diesel motor) the supposed sporty handling of a Kizashi and the quietness and ride of a Camry Hybrid .. guess some test driving will tell me more .. :wink:

Seen 2 x i45 in the flesh but not with the tail lights lit up  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
For once in my life I'm doing lots of research before buying a car .. I intend driving an i45, a Suzuki Kizashi, a Mazda 6 Diesel and even a Camry Hybrid .. at this stage my Ideal car would have the body and interior of the i45 with an R diesel (or the mazda diesel motor) the supposed sporty handling of a Kizashi and the quietness and ride of a Camry Hybrid .. guess some test driving will tell me more .. :wink:

Seen 2 x i45 in the flesh but not with the tail lights lit up  :'(

At this stage Dazz without a Diesel in the i45 or the i40/i-flow arriving anytime soon, the Mazda 6 Diesel is my pick and I've told Hyundai accordingly. Still no response to that email..........

Whilst not bettering the R 2.2 in max torque the 2.2 MZR-CD in the 6 does deliver it's torque over a larger rev range and in a better handling chassis..........food for thought.........

Only thing that will stop me is Mazda ruining the 6 with a stupid goofy grin like the 3, they've already started with this years model..........

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Drove a Base model Suzuki Kizashi yesterday (only about 20km) motor very quiet at cruising speeds but this accentuated the tyre noise (about the same as the i30 which is too loud in MHO...)

She who must be obeyed was only luke warm on it .. Reckons seats too hard and didn't really like the styling .. (I like the back but not the front...)

Definitely hasn't got the presence of the i45 (is a bit smaller - looks a lot smaller) Has a 2.4 ltr petrol engine same as i45 with similar economy..

Handled and rides very well and the base model had enough kit for me.. Was an Auto (I prefer manuals.. so might drive one of those when available)   

Don't think I could live with 7.9 LPH after 2 years with my CRDi  :rolleyes:

No i45 available for a test drive yesterday (they are going to ring me) I'm also going to try a ix35 Diesel when they have one available (but no Manual Diesel  :mad:)

Mazda dealer STILL waiting on first of new Mazda 6 diesel wagons to arrive (I'm on a long list of people down for a test drive)

Finally, I have Monday off work and am being "given" a Camry Hybrid for the day. They look bland but otherwise they tick most of the boxes for us .. Quiet, more room, reasonable power and 6.0 LPH economy... I'll keep you posted.. :-[

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

The Kizashi looks nice to me, but it's easy to be prejudiced against them when you look at how most Suzukis tend to age. I think resale would be a serious issue with them too. At least Hyundai is getting there with building the prestige of its name - I think Suzuki has a long way to go before people will shell out that sort of cash en masse for one of their cars.

I don't like the direction Mazda is taking with their styling. Have a look at a new Mazda3 from head on, in red, and you'd swear you're looking at an evil clown. It's over-styled and looks crap IMHO. I also don't like the quality of the plastics in the 3 OR the 6 (let alone the Thai-built 2) but the killer for me is the road noise. For some reason the NVH engineers at Mazda don't seem to be able to solve that problem which I find completely unacceptable. They have had too much road noise for a couple of generations now and having driven the new 3 I can't see much of an improvement. Most of my mileage is on the highway so maybe it bothers me more than some but I think it's a pretty fundamental flaw.

And none of the cars on Dazz's list have anything like the Hyundai warranty. Patience is a virtue, I'd (almost) bet lefty that the R-Diesel will appear in the i45 at some stage.  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Michael,

The salesman at Mazda admitted road noise was a problem but that in the latest Mazda 6 it had been reduced by 17%.. I am going to drive an i45 today if I get a chance and an iX35 diesel too so see what they are like (as I believe tyre noise is still an issue with them a bit too.. and like you I am over that)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
The Suzuki looks nice, but there's something I don't like about it, maybe because it reminds me of Lexus.

I would go for the i45 or the Mazda6 :wink:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Will be interesting to hear what you think of the i45. 17% noise reduction on the previous Mazda6 isn't enough for me - I had one as a drive car for a couple of weeks and it was running on quality 16 inch tyres but the road noise was ridiculous.

Haven't driven an ix35 yet (I have a deep-seated hatred of soft-roaders so not that interested in sampling it) but I didn't think even the Tucson was bad for road noise. I went and had a poke around in an ix35 Highlander and thought it was a good step forward from the Tucson but came away a little disappointed with the quality of the materials on the interior (although relative to its competitors it's brilliant for the money).

The i45 doesn't have that problem though, I find it very impressive inside and out.

Have you looked at the SantaFe Dazz? That's a great bit of gear.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Will be interesting to hear what you think of the i45. 17% noise reduction on the previous Mazda6 isn't enough for me - I had one as a drive car for a couple of weeks and it was running on quality 16 inch tyres but the road noise was ridiculous.

Haven't driven an ix35 yet (I have a deep-seated hatred of soft-roaders so not that interested in sampling it) but I didn't think even the Tucson was bad for road noise. I went and had a poke around in an ix35 Highlander and thought it was a good step forward from the Tucson but came away a little disappointed with the quality of the materials on the interior (although relative to its competitors it's brilliant for the money).

The i45 doesn't have that problem though, I find it very impressive inside and out.

Have you looked at the SantaFe Dazz? That's a great bit of gear.

It's a bit big Michael and I don't really like the styling .. and the base model is now around the same price as the top model ix35 (about $41,500 on the road)...

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Fair enuf - I'm not mad keen on the styling, but they're not half bad to drive and they're lovely inside. I take your point about the size and the price tho.  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well for those who are interested here are my impressions of what I drove today including the Holden Cruze  :wink: :-[

The iX35 was a bit disappointing.. More diesel engine noise (and road noise) than I expected and more than the i30.. Just didn't give us the wow factor (not really our sort of vehicle) and the seats are very firm ...

The Holden Cruse Diesel was a pleasant surprise can see why they are selling well (probably not the fun factor or character of the i30 CRDi though) Probably slightly quieter than the i30 but was a bit snug inside and wife didn't find the passenger seat very comfortable..

The Camry Hybrid was as quiet and comfortable as I expected it to be BUT had less go than I expected out of 140 KW (supposed to do 0-100KPH in 8.1 seconds - doesn't feel like it)

Really need 3 cars (the Camry would be great on a long highway trip) Did about 130 kilometres in it and on the way home once I got used to how to drive it got average down to the ADR figure of 6.0 which is very good for a car of that size..

Oh and because of Batteries the boot is only about same size as i30 Hatch...

NOW for the i45.. after what I had read the i45 was a nice surprise. Fairly quiet, nice ride and steering. Could only drive an auto (as manual base model around 6 weeks away) but the changes were very smooth.. Thought it was a nicer drive than the Suzuki Kizashi and seemed to have plenty of poke...

Basically the i45 felt much more "alive" than the Camry...

At this stage think we will wait for the cheaper active model and will drive the Manual (but may go the auto as the manual isn't going to have cruise and the manual is rated at 8.0 but the auto is only 7.9 LPH) OR wait for the Diesel  :wink:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Sounds like I haven't missed much by not trying the ix35! It's a funny market though when people want a vehicle like that in the first place. Maybe we're both missing the point of them, but I've never driven a soft-roader I thought was an actual good car.

Cruze isn't without it's charm, but don't forget it's a Daewoo. I also find the turbo lag excessive and overall find it pretty unconvincing compared to the i30 - especially as a petrol.

Surely they'll eventually bring out cruise for the manual i45... ?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This article is more an extract from the i45 brochure than a road test.. but has probably the most info I have read about the i45 all in one place...

http://www.testdrivenau.co.cc/?p=1013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Well for those who are interested here are my impressions of what I drove today including the Holden Cruze  :wink: :-[

The iX35 was a bit disappointing.. More diesel engine noise (and road noise) than I expected and more than the i30.. Just didn't give us the wow factor (not really our sort of vehicle) and the seats are very firm ...

The Holden Cruse Diesel was a pleasant surprise can see why they are selling well (probably not the fun factor or character of the i30 CRDi though) Probably slightly quieter than the i30 but was a bit snug inside and wife didn't find the passenger seat very comfortable..

The Camry Hybrid was as quiet and comfortable as I expected it to be BUT had less go than I expected out of 140 KW (supposed to do 0-100KPH in 8.1 seconds - doesn't feel like it)

Really need 3 cars (the Camry would be great on a long highway trip) Did about 130 kilometres in it and on the way home once I got used to how to drive it got average down to the ADR figure of 6.0 which is very good for a car of that size..

Oh and because of Batteries the boot is only about same size as i30 Hatch...

NOW for the i45.. after what I had read the i45 was a nice surprise. Fairly quiet, nice ride and steering. Could only drive an auto (as manual base model around 6 weeks away) but the changes were very smooth.. Thought it was a nicer drive than the Suzuki Kizashi and seemed to have plenty of poke...

Basically the i45 felt much more "alive" than the Camry...

At this stage think we will wait for the cheaper active model and will drive the Manual (but may go the auto as the manual isn't going to have cruise and the manual is rated at 8.0 but the auto is only 7.9 LPH) OR wait for the Diesel  :wink:

Dazz, wait for the diesel mate!
They will come, they have to, it's just that they're putting the i45 up against the petrol Camry to start with., but I think the diesel will come to Australia.
It would be good to get the update version too after the i45 has been around for 12 months. And you can't beat the warranty.
It seems like a long time to wait but if it does turn out to be a year, it's only 364 sleeps...........
  • Tertius the i30

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
interesting reading Dazz - was wondering what had happened with your upgrading

and just to add i'm not sure i like the styling of the suzuki at all, it's just wrong in some way while trying to be lowkey.....gah
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Snowcherry,

The back looks pretty flash in the flesh but the front of the Kizashi is a bit snub nosed (makes the car look even smaller than it is.. The interior of the top model is nice (on a par with the i45 in my opinion - but not as roomy) The wierd thing is the Kizashi has the same official overall fuel economy figure as the i45 petrol (7.9KPL) but apparently everything I've read suggests it is a lot higher than the i45 in real world conditions .. so even if I liked it a lot I wouldn't get one. Suzuki make very good cars in my opinion but apparently thier resale is not expected to keep pace with the newer model Hyundais...(how things change)

DAVE...

You are right.. I will try to wait (I'm getting itchy feet)  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They had a traffic expert on today/tonight (an Australian current affairs show) this evening cruising around in a FLASH NEW CAR discussing various traffic issues..

He was driving a top of the line Silver i45 (with full glass moon roof) looked gr8  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Still no sign of when the base model i45 (active) model will hit the showrooms.. hopefully about the end of July is my guess..

Hyundai has a problem that other manufacturers would like ...

"The backdrop to developing i45 trim [levels] was one of shortage of supply," said Oliver Mann, Director of Marketing for HMCA, at the launch of the new model last week.

"Already the car is a huge hit in North America; there's a backlog of orders there. [When] it went on sale in Korea, it was the fastest ever selling car there. So, when we were planning our model range, initially faced with supply constraints, we focused on the top-range versions..."

While the i45 Elite (mid-range) and i45 Premium flagship were always on the agenda for Australia, the entry-level i45 Active was a late starter, according to Mann -- simply because of production capacity.

"Hyundai is busy ramping up global production and we've been able to secure some additional production -- so we're bringing in an entry-level i45, the i45 Active."

Info is from this site...

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010/medium-passenger/hyundai/watchful-eye-on-i45-19469

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Much the same in NZ ... although no manual at all at this stage. Three 2.4 litre automatics in different spec levels and a 2.0 litre automatic 'base' model. All petrol.

Have had diesels only for 20 years ... not keen to go back to petrol although like the look of the i45. Will stick with the i30 at this stage.

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I love my Diesel (only diesel i've ever owned although I had a Diesel Courier 4X4 ute as part of an employment package a few years ago)

My short drive of an Auto i45 with the Direct Injection 2.4  :mrgreen:Petrol wasn't bad though.. Looking forward to driving a manual....

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Yeah its a shame bout the lack of diesel in the i45's.
I'm sure though if there's enough push then a model will eventually come.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... if there's enough push then a model will eventually come.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Elle Macpherson :D

And for our friends in Oz...

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL my grand father says the same thing!! he reckons we read our books upside down!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

... if there's enough push then a model will eventually come.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Elle Macpherson :D

And for our friends in Oz...

(click to show/hide)

Thanx M8 i've always thought she'd do some of her best work upside down  :rolleyes: :wink:

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Personally I wouldn't care which way up/down/sideways she was  :twisted:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Back on topic.  :D
I was driving up the Bruce Highway through Burpengary this evening and right after the white i30 with no rear badges  :idea:which was just in front of me pulled off towards Deception Bay :idea: I passed a woman in an i45.
Nice looking car but the stupid */*\* was driving on high beam with her fog lights on.  :twisted:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Back on topic.  :D
I was driving up the Bruce Highway through Burpengary this evening and right after the white i30 with no rear badges  :idea:which was just in front of me pulled off towards Deception Bay :idea: I passed a woman in an i45.
Nice looking car but the stupid */*\* was driving on high beam with her fog lights on.  :twisted:

What color was it Trev? My colour choices are in order of preference White, Light Silver, Burgundy...

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^ 'Twas white , mate.  :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal