i30 Owners Club

Diesel to Petrol Conversion?!

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
I took my previous diesel i30 from new to 288,000 miles and traded it in under Hyundai's 'scrappage' scheme when the engine oil migrated to the coolant. Although not all trade-ins were destined for the breaker under this promotion I thought mine was due to its age, mileage and major fault of which the dealer was well aware.
So imagine my surprise when I checked the UK government website and saw that according to its MoT test (statutory safety and emissions examination) history it is now a 57,000 mile petrol car. Strangely, according to the vehicle excise duty part of the website it is still taxed at the lower diesel rate.
Actually converting a modern car from diesel to petrol must be a monumental task requiring the replacement of many components as well as the engine and gearbox.
Can anyone suggest an explanation?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Possible mistake in the government listing :undecided: someone might have also had a petrol model with a damaged body and threw everything into the diesel :Dunno:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Reg transferred to another vehicle....?[

Actually on reflection I think its more likely they just dropped a petrol in to it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 21:35:39 by Lorian »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Actually converting must be a monumental task requiring the replacement of many components as well as the engine  

:faint: :scared:

Boris has had another brainwave?

:happydance: :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Actually converting must be a monumental task requiring the replacement of many components as well as the engine  

:faint: :scared:

Boris has had another brainfade?

:happydance: :whistler:

Fixed.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Maybe the rebirthing industry is alive and well.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Actually on reflection I think its more likely they just dropped a petrol into it.

Yep  :goodjob2:

I know Marti sees this as a daunting task; not so!  :cool:
Using a low mileage writeoff as donor, I would drop the sub frame complete and therefore swap the whole drive train into the good body. Then the ECU etc.
Roughly, a 2 day job for one person.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal