i30 Owners Club

Dazzler's new 2020 Hyundai Tucson Elite Diesel.

Dazzler · 26 · 13220

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good morning folks, I'm still flat out like a lizard drinking. Actually getting on better with the latest ex-wife  :snigger: I guess that's what Trish now is that we have for ages.

Still at different ends (and different temperature zones) of the same large house which is having photos and drone video done today prior to the big sale announcement.

Will be around the 1 million mark. Which is a big number by Tassie (especially Devonport) standards.  I'll share the advert on here when it's live.

Anyway, my life has been even more amazing and full of positives and friggin busy than usual lately. When my health is good, and it's very much on the up at the moment, I tend to use most of my knowledge and skills to do great things like build enormous houses etc..

After getting my hearing sorted recently (excellent but cheap) hearing aids and getting a long term prostate issue sorted (rebore) my health was already definitely on the up.

Changing to a healthier diet and getting more exercise has further improved things to the extent that at 64 I'm looking like a 50 year old and capable of doing things many 40 year old's  may struggle with.

Unfortunately, despite this I still get a lot of pain from my Parkinson's at times particularly when getting in and out of low cars look like my Camry Hybrid.

So let's cut to the chase. Despite prefering the look and refinement of a sedan like my Camry to the look and feel of most SUVs the time has come.

So being a fan of Toyota's reliability and hybrid system, the RAV 4 Hybrid was a logical choice, however I can't come to grips with that truck like styling and ugly front. Plus the deal they offered was a joke!

Next cab off the rank was the the Kia Seltos 1.6 Turbo which is basically a Hyundai Kona with a bigger (mini Sorento style) body. I liked the styling the driving experience (same smooth DCT as the Kona as well) A deal was negotiated which was way better than that offered on a RAV 4 Hybrid. It was about $3000 way from the changeover I was prepared to accept. I have now got that down to $1000.

Obviously if I'm considering the Seltos, I have to also consider a Kona.  The latest upgrade looks interesting, but like the RAV4 and  Seltos delivery even if a good deal is negotiated could be several months away.

So I put he feelers out for late model used SUV's in my area..

At this stage hot favourite is a very low mileage diesel Tucson elite. They are retailing new for around A$48000 it sounds like I'll be getting mine for 30 something?.

The is also a low mileage current model Kona Highlander in one of my preferred colours due to be traded on the 20th.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The Kona Highlander would be nice, wins on style points for me :goodjob2: negatives are rear seat access for taller people :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Kona Highlander would be nice, wins on style points for me :goodjob2: negatives are rear seat access for taller people :disapp:

Rear seat access for taller people wouldn't be a consideration for me.

There are a couple of very late model Diesel elite Tucson's and a very nice top of the range Qashqui I'm considering at the moment.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

In fact, front seat access for taller people wouldn't be a consideration for you.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In fact, front seat access for taller people wouldn't be a consideration for you.  :D

I  do look a lot taller now.. mind you I spend a considerable amount of time horizontal most days so my height probably isn't that important.   :P

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ Dazzler. Can you provide any details on your hearing aid process/solution?

I will shortly need to sort out something for myself so I'm nterested in (trusted) people's experiences and recommendations.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: TerryT

:offtopic:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Quote from: TerryT

:offtopic:
It's in Dazz's OP, so ......... :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I will shortly need to sort out something for myself so I'm nterested in (trusted) people's experiences and recommendations.

Hi Terry,

I got approved for a disability pension in April which meant i could get basic hearing aids for nix.

I went to Specsavers and for $895 out of pocket got Bluetooth and rechargeable... and they work brilliantlu with 4 years warranty!  :crazy1:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Hi Terry,

I got approved for a disability pension in April which meant i could get basic hearing aids for nix.

I went to Specsavers and for $895 out of pocket got Bluetooth and rechargeable... and they work brilliantlu with 4 years warranty!  :crazy1:

@Dazzler  :  I image your hearing loss is only small to medium if you are finding the Specsaver Premium aids fit for your purpose.

In the UK there are two main H.A. Providers.  Boots and Specsavers.

I have had Specsaver aids in the past and they are rebranded old models from one or more manufacturers.  The main problem I found with Specsavers is that the majority of their staff are not Audiologists  - they are dispensers who set up your aids as dictated by the computer after a very basic hearing test. In my experience they could not fine tune them to extract the maximum performance to suit you.

In the UK, Boots staff are mainly audiologists and thus able to provide a much better technical service.

I fear that once the novelty wears off and you get more experience - and possibly get reliability and performance problems with your cheap aids,  you will, like me, have to put your hand deeper in your pocket and go to a professional supplier staffed by audiologists.

I speak from 20 years experience of UK aids and suppliers- it may well be quite different in Australia.  I hope so for your sake.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So as usual with me. Never long between making a decision to do something and it actually happening.

For $12,200 + my 2019 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sport prurchased September 2019 and now has over 55,000 kilometres on it) I'm getting a 2020 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 diesel Elite with only around 12,000 kms on the clock it has a 8 speed conventional automatic transmission.

It was out of that or for the same money a 2019 Nissan Qashqui 2.0 TI which only had around 8500 kilometres on the clock but felt underpowered and a little noisy for a supposed luxury vehicle.  Mainly road noise.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ looking forwards to the photos :victory:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Terry,

@Dazzler  :  I image your hearing loss is only small to medium if you are finding the Specsaver Premium aids fit for your purpose.

In the UK there are two main H.A. Providers.  Boots and Specsavers.

I have had Specsaver aids in the past and they are rebranded old models from one or more manufacturers.  The main problem I found with Specsavers is that the majority of their staff are not Audiologists  - they are dispensers who set up your aids as dictated by the computer after a very basis hearing test. In my experience they could not fine tune them to extract the maximum performance to suit you.

In the UK Boots staff are mainly audiologists and thus able to provide a much better technical service.

I fear that once the novelty wears off and you get more experience - and possibly get reliability problems with your cheap aids,  you will, like me, have to put your hand deeper in your pocket and go to a professional supplier staffed by audiologists.

I speak from 20 years experience of UK aids and suppliers- it may well be quite different in Australia.  I hope so for your sake.

I've had mine for around 6 months or more and they have been one of several life changers for me. Not brilliant in crouded environments where everthing tends to be increased in volume, but the difference in clarity when I'm wearing them is incredible for the price.

Due to copious loud music and use of many power tools without ear protection i really should have done something 15 years ago. My hearing is pretty bad.

When I take my hearing aids out it's like putting my fingers in my ears. These relatively cheap aids have been ultra reliable touch wood and mean i now have much better hearing than most people in their 60s.

That includes many with hearing aids which cost much more than mine. Because the don't wear them due to noise feedback issues or constant flat battery, fiddly battery changes.

I love the Bluetooth which makes phone calls so much better.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This link will only stay live until this car is sold.  Identical to my silver one but with 11,000 less kilometres. I could have had this car which is in a preferred colour for $3000 more changeover but not worth it. I probably would have paid an extra $1000 for the white with less kilometres.  Both reg around same time so both have around 52 months new car warranty left.

:link: 2020 Hyundai Tucson - Motors Hobart Hyundai, Hobart, TAS

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Hi Terry,

Thanks Dazzler.  I will PM you later if you don't mind.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
This link will only stay live until this car is sold.  Identical to my silver one but with 11,000 less kilometres. I could have had this car which is in a preferred colour for $3000 more changeover but not worth it. I probably would have paid an extra $1000 for the white with less kilometres.  Both reg around same time so both have around 52 months new car warranty left.

:link: 2020 Hyundai Tucson - Motors Hobart Hyundai, Hobart, TAS

Hey Dazz good stuff on new Tucson they look good to me!

& the same for your hearing !!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yo Dazzler

$39k Tucson - i'll squeeze them until they drop down to 33k at least bro.

My I30 SR was $38.5K - I managed to talk them down to 32.5K drive away back in 2018.

Re: Hearing - my wife appear to talk less and less as I get older - could be due to my hearing too now that you mentioned it.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yo Dazzler

$39k Tucson - i'll squeeze them until they drop down to 33k at least bro.

My I30 SR was $38.5K - I managed to talk them down to 32.5K drive away back in 2018.

Re: Hearing - my wife appear to talk less and less as I get older - could be due to my hearing too now that you mentioned it.

A new version of the model i got is over 48K I'm only paying 37k

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys, glad you like it.  :victory:

PM away Terry,  no probs..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Assume you are aware of this recall: :link: 2014-2020 Hyundai Tucson recalled: 93,000 vehicles affected for fire risk | CarAdvice

Thanks, yes. I downloaded the list and already have the vin. I tried to see if mine is on the list but it's hard to follow and don't appear to be ablecto search it on this tablet. Obviously I'll ask the question on pick up day.

I thought it might be engine specific and hopefully not related to the diesel versions but it a brake circuit board issue I think,so is probably all cars delivered during that period.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well it's official and quite a surprise! (a pleasant one)

My new HyundaiTucson Elite Diesel is my best car ever (out of 35).

I'm quite amazed actually, I've had some great cars.

Plus I always thought theTuscon lacked the character of the smaller Kona and larger Sante Fe.

In this combination with 2.0 diesel engine and the Elite specification it is just an all around joy to drive.

Could life get any better.. A work in progress. 🙏🤩😊

Up until now, my 2017 Hyundai i30 SR was probably my favourite car, but with 18 inch wheels and low profile tyres the ride could be a little harsh and the tyre noise was definitely excessive at times.

Road and wind noise levels in my Tucson are extremely low. That earns big brownie points with me.

The recently traded Camry Hybrid was hard to fault but despite being exceptionally quiet around town, wind noise could be excessive on the highway.  The Tucson has a much better stereo than the Camry. The operation of things like the infotainment and autonomous cruise are light years ahead in my latest Hyundai.

The other standout car in my past the 2014 Holden Calais V was a great overall package, however the Tucson pips or atleast matches it in several key areas.

Tucson has equally as comfortable driving position and seats as the Calais, which has always been my benchmark in these areas

The Tucson is definitely going to be more economical to run than the 3.8 litre V6.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Dazzler, sounds like you got yourself a nice ride!   :happydance:

BTW, in the photo below, are you pulling into a COVID-19 testing station(?).  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

BTW, in the photo below, are you pulling into a COVID-19 testing station(?).  :D

Thanks Terry, yes very happy so far.. it's like sleeping with an ex that you still had the hots for..  :snigger:

What's that? I live in Tassie we don't need them down here,  :P

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Thanks Terry...It's like sleeping with an ex that you still had the hots for..  :snigger:

That's the trouble with age, when we were young, "sleeping" would not have been the operative word!  ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal