i30 Owners Club

NRMA Open Road mag

Lakes · 13 · 5002

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi All,
Well Daniel once said, some Caltex Servo's had ( could contain up to 2% bio fuel ) on the CALTEX VORTEX DIESEL pump, i had & still have not seen that written on any CALTEX VORTEX DIESEL pump yet. BUT in the new NRMA OPEN ROAD mag it say's Caltex Vortex Diesel is a new age diesel fuel contains 2% bio. i think Caltex should inform customers! i asked my local Caltex servo owner & have bought petrol off him for years, he always keeps good fuel, he started selling Vortex Diesel & i asked him at the start if it had Bio in it he said he does not know as they just told him it was the best diesel fuel they make & made for the modern diesel,s. still i think they should inform customers!
what do you think?

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I always get Caltex Vortex diesel.

I have seen the 2% bio-diesel sign at only one servo.

I find it a stretch that Caltex would make two different diesels when they don't have to.

What I look for is a diesel bowser that says "No bio-diesel"....haven't found one yet.

I agree with you Lakes. Caltex should name it and have a label on each and every bowser to let the customer know what is happening.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't have a diesel but I agree with you guys.
Why don't you e-mail Caltex and ask for them to confirm/deny/clarify the "Road Ahead" comments. Maybe mention you are enquiring on behalf of the i30 Owners Club.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think i remember reading two years back that Caltex have been less than straight forward in informing of changes to diesel fuel. but just what i read online. i now think there is just one Caltex diesel in NSW as NRMA just state Caltex Vortex diesel 2% bio, and nothing about any other caltex diesel it also has Caltex/Woolworths but this is a NSW road service. Mobile, BP and some private companys they just state Diesel = Diesel, only Caltex has bio i think it's a Tax dodge.
most servo's charge 1.31 for it but i saw one Caltex /Woolys selling it @ 1.25.9 all last week.

Pip
I had a fill today from my usual servo, a Caltex. I noticed last couple of times that it did not foam up like it did before and also it was now called "premium". Nothing had changed today, still called premium, except it foamed like it used to.

It's hard to tell whether it was still at a premium price, prices seem to be more volatile recently, but it didn't seem to be the same stuff at all.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Pip, yesturday i was on the M4 near Eastern Creek and the Caltex Servo had diesel price posted twice ( first time i've seen this. one Price was for Vortex Premium Diesel @ 1.29 second price was for Truck Diesel @ 1.27

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It was exactly the same story....prices and all...at one of the twin Caltex servos on the Pacific Hwy near the Toukley turnoff yesterday.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
I had a fill today from my usual servo, a Caltex. I noticed last couple of times that it did not foam up like it did before and also it was now called "premium".

Interesting.  I filled up at my usual Caltex yesterday and I noticed a difference in the behaviour of the foam.  I noticed that the foam seemed to recede a lot faster than it has at other times.  It was different enough for me to think "I hope this isn't a bad batch of fuel".  I didn't notice anything about biodiesel though, although I wouldn't have been looking for that.  Will have to see if it does it again next month.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i'm still useing Caltex Vortex, thats how you tell the difference less foaming. my car runs good on it so i'll keep useing it. but no gain i can see in economy. last tank full i covered 1,100k put 54L to fill to the very top, 700k was in the country the read of the driving was syd comuting. last night on way home from work GPS told me average speed for the trip was 24kph highest speed for same trip was 71kph 19k trip

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i found the caltex vortex diesel still foamed up heaps

when i fill the work site ute the diesel has no foam.... and it has a thing in the neck to stop the nozzle being pushed in too far for some reason...

BTW obviously we use BP diesel, and the closest BP to work only sells premium diesel!

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Caltex Vortex that I put into my car's tank yesterday was a pig to fill. Lots of foaming up. I filled the tank to the brim and it must have taken 5 minutes....luckily I don't have to fill it up very often!  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i found the caltex vortex diesel still foamed up heaps

when i fill the work site ute the diesel has no foam.... and it has a thing in the neck to stop the nozzle being pushed in too far for some reason...

BTW obviously we use BP diesel, and the closest BP to work only sells premium diesel!

i'm only going off what i've seen useing standard NSW BP, Mobil, Shell diesel, i've only used Caltex vortex diesel never used any other caltex diesel. only used Shell a few times, but the Trucks at work we use Shell as have Shell card it foams more and all the other diesel i've used foamed more than the caltex vortex when BP bring there premium diesel to NSW i'll use it. don't notice foam much on the trucks as different style fuel tanks. i filled up on a hi flow Vortex pump last week got 37L in real quick then  had to slow flow down.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Caltex Vortex that I put into my car's tank yesterday was a pig to fill. Lots of foaming up. I filled the tank to the brim and it must have taken 5 minutes....luckily I don't have to fill it up very often!  :lol:
yes it's hard to fill up fast i angle the nozzle and make the fuel spin down the neck into the tank.
i think the stock diesel foams a lot more takes longer for foaming to go down to get them filled to top, bit like pulling a beer

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal