i30 Owners Club

just started

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
well...i just bought it a couple of days back...and it was 10.8 in the beginning and has dropped to 6.9 so far...so still hoping it drops further down....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yours is a manual isn't it? should drop a lot more yest (especially in your warm climate)  :shock:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
why dazz...how does the warm weather help the economy....
btw...now its 6.6...yes its a manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi M8,

Thumper was the first one to discover that Crdi doesn't seem to like the cooler weather. If he puts a cover over the front of the intercooler in cooler temps (say 10c or less) he has detected an improvement in economy. It seems like the intercooler might be too efficient....He has ways of monitoring temperatures in the engine (I don't) so I just have to live with the reduced economy...

I still get 5.4 or 5.5 at the worst...expecting an average of around 5.0 or better in the summer (Combined City/hwy)

Not sure why yours is till around 6.6? I'd hold the button for a couple of seconds to zero it when you put your next tankful in and then try ands drive as smoothly as possible (should be getting close to 5.0 up there with your temps (unless humidity also plays a factor?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
Re low temps.

Yesterday I drove in temps of around 16-17 and noticed improved fuel economy.  I reset the trip computer as I took of on the journey.  Interestingly, the ºcIA (temperature of the intake air) is usually only 1 or 2 ºc above the ambient temperature, but once the ambient temperature gets up into the mid to high teens, the ºcIA can be in the low twenties (saw 23ºcIA yesterday).  I base these figures on the readouts from the ScanGuage II I have fitted.

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
When I drive to work, every morning, it is around -6 to -2 degrees C. Back home it's around 4 degrees C.

Tested for a week without the intercooler cover, average for the week (And a tank) was 5.6lt/100km

Next week, same driving (Even colder weather) with the intercooler cover in place, average over the entire tank 4.8lt/100km

I drive 1,000km each week. (Working 7 days a week at the moment)

I've proved time and time again that the i30 CRDi diesel increases it's fuel consumption when the ambient air temp drops below 10 degrees C.

A email to Hyundai Australia has shown they did not even read my email properly, in stating that the i30 will get better fuel economy when the air temp is colder, due to the air being more condensed. (This we all know and understand)

What I don't understand is why this is completely irrelevant with regards to the CRDi i30.  :?:

ouri30
Thumper,

You have said all this before.  We know what you mean.  I made a post that supports your claims.  You followed with one that seemed to be making a point you have already made.  So was that aimed at me?  I am confused.

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Just supporting the Dazzling Darryl, that's all.  8-)

Offline wynpd

• 2nd Gear
I too have just started and found the economy to be notas good as I was expecting. I've noticed the discussions around cold weather affecting economy and this is July in the Macedon Ranges so this is as cold as it gets.

There's also been hints that economy improves as the car is run in - can anyone confirm this?

The other reason I bought this car was the ipod capability and I'm frustrated I now have to get the extra cable. But using the radio to control the ipod is important to me and I will grin and bear the expense. Wish the salesman had told me about this - I would have negotiated to have it included in the price! Waited two months to use it and now I'm waiting some more...

Overall very happy though.

Offline warshell98

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah

• SLX Steel grey, manual, spoiler, tint, rust/paint
Mine started at 10l/100 when I picked it up, quickly dropped to around 7.5 and now 1500km in, it is still dropping although rather slowly, now at 6.1l/100. Dealer told me this should continue to improve in time. will give another 1500km and report back.

Cheers

Warwick

Offline spillmill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sorry for resurrecting thread but I thought I would add my 2c worth.

My fuel consumption was about 10L/100 on delivery (16km), reset it shortly after and it was soon 9, then 8, and after about 300km since then it is around 7L/100 (ODO is 350km)

I do mostly city driving and have been keeping the revs in the 2-4k range as per owners manual (after I got home and read it!).  I certainly hope it drops to about 6L/100 for city driving once I get past 1000km and start using 4th gear at 60km/hr!  Maybe this will help some of you with brand new i30s or who don't get the 4L/100 of the highway drivers!

Why did I buy a diesel?  Not because I do a lot of km's that's for sure!  And I don't like having to go to the petrol station too often...  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal