i30 Owners Club

Front tyre wear on inner shoulder

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There is a common denominator here ... You both have the same first name !!!

But seriously, UK Dave you really need to take this up directly with Hyundai UK .. Shambles has a good contact email for them I think??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
There is a common denominator here ... You both have the same first name !!!

But seriously, UK Dave you really need to take this up directly with Hyundai UK .. Shambles has a good contact email for them I think??

That's it then. It's the DOH! FTW problem.
That is "Dave-Owned Hyundais Front Tyre Wear."
Why? What did you think it was?  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline davesnelson

• 1st Gear
I might have cracked the problem. I did contact Hyundai UK and they did consider the problem and get back to me. Two things. First, they have seen this on one other i30 in the UK with high mileage and what they did with that particular car was to put it up on the ramp and slacken off all the front suspension mounts and brackets (all of them on both sides) then lower the car to the floor and then tighten and reset them to correct angles. They think it's the castor camber angle that's at fault.

So, they are doing this to mine whilst I write this update to you guys! Also, they don't really like the make of tyre I use - Millennium (probably known as Cooper in Oz and USA) ZZ3 asymetric 225/45 R17; so they are changing them for 2x Pirelli of the same size and aspect ratio. I will come back on this forum to let you know a) how I get on with the new Pirellis and b) in the longer term, is the problem fixed.

Thanks guys.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Some good progress Dave .. Thanks heaps for the update  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hope that works for you Dave.

Cooper don't bring car tyres into Australia under the Cooper brand name. In fact I didn't know they made Cooper car tyres anywhere. However they do have "Mastercraft" in their stable. I'll have to do some research on that one for future reference.
All that aside, I can't see how the brand of tyre is going to affect tyre wear on the shoulder.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Good info Dave, thanks for that.
I'll go back to my tyre place and pass that on too.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK. Just to clarify the Millenium - Cooper thing a bit.
Cooper, the second largest American owned tyre company (after Goodyear) bought Avon's tyre business in the late 1990's (ish :P).
As far as I can determine, the "Millenium" tyre is made in a German factory but you'd have to look at the sidewall of one to confirm that. And yes, Millenium is a sub brand of the Cooper-Avon conglomerate.

FYI, the other two large "American" tyre companies , Firestone and Goodrich are now owned by Bridgestone and Michelin respectively.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Hi Dave (UK) I have just started to have the same issue with inner tyre wear, (50k miles) mine is an 081.6CRDI with 225-45-17 Kumho KH15 this is the third set, the others worn evenly. How did you get on with the suspension reset by Hyundai. Thanks, Paul.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
UPDATE: I had the tracking checked it was -4.5mm  (toe out) had it reset and new tyres fitted , I've gone for the Kumho KH31's this time, so will see how they fair.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i can recall a few members going through a few pairs of front tyres prematurely and not knowing why,a steering rack replacement under warranty was the fix from memory.  :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal