i30 Owners Club

Cracked steering wheel

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
Well it's getting replaced under warranty but check your steering wheels for brittle worn and cracked plastic along the edges of the rims. It's sundamage but doesn't pose well long term in our harsh sun. Thats on my 2009 sx crdi so 3 years old in April and it's was already damaged by ekrments

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's great its being changed under warranty.  :mrgreen:  but our Melbourne sun isn't as frequent as say Perth or Queensland,I'll suss out my cars later,they're both sx models like yours.  :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well it's getting replaced under warranty but check your steering wheels for brittle worn and cracked plastic along the edges of the rims. It's sundamage but doesn't pose well long term in our harsh sun. Thats on my 2009 sx crdi so 3 years old in April and it's was already damaged by ekrments

Worth investing in one of these Reflex Front Sun shades (I use one year round in our car)

http://www.haigh.com.au/index.php?option=showproduct&ParentID=233
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
unfamilia, I have to agree with Dazzler in relation to the use of a sun protector for your dashboard.

I have used the silver reflective type for many years and never leave the car without fitting it if I'm parking in the sun. They are available at any auto part shop in Australia.

Not only does it reduce the heat build-up inside my car, it also eliminates sun damage to the dashboard and steering wheel.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
we've used that style of chrome sun shade over the years and they work a treat,and a very cheap item to buy.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^^^^^

What they said.
However, shouldn't crack in 3 years IMHO.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Its a known problem due to poor UV paint performance. There is a TSB that covers its repalcement under warranty with an improved cover.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's great its being changed under warranty.  :mrgreen:  but our Melbourne sun isn't as frequent as say Perth or Queensland,I'll suss out my cars later,they're both sx models like yours.  :idea: :winker:
i looked earlier and all's good.   :neutral:

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
Well how seldom I drive the car- my wife I'm sure would forget to use it. Just an extra hassle. They do cut down interior heat too on hot days- used to use one in the datsun.

Glad there's a tsb on it- glad I'm not going crazy but 3 years was a tad quick for such wear IMHO too

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal