i30 Owners Club

Aftermarket Led

GaKu · 12 · 2804

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I am looking to replace the halogen h7 in the low beam with leds.
Most of them have the driver unit in a separate box between the connector and the bulb itself. Am in doubt if it can fit in the housing and if it means that I need to leave out the dust cap which I'm not keen on

Anyone have any experience with it?
  • 2011 i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
With a bit of searching you'll find posts that I recall discuss how some profiles need the dust cap to be redesigned to be longer.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I use these in my i30.

• 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I use these in my i30.

Thanks.
The ones I'm looking at are about 3000lumens each and they get pretty hot. So they have a different design than these.
  • 2011 i30

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
With a bit of searching you'll find posts that I recall discuss how some profiles need the dust cap to be redesigned to be longer.

Thanks
Tried to search but didn't get any relevant hits. Will try again
  • 2011 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I posted my own dust cap mod here in reply 219 :link: i30 PD active LED headlights I'm also using the JW direct fit bulbs BendonL pictured :)

Very simple and cheap to do, the rubber boot sits very snug in the cap giving a nice seal.

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I posted my own dust cap mod here in reply 219 :link: i30 PD active LED headlights I'm also using the JW direct fit bulbs BendonL pictured :)

Very simple and cheap to do, the rubber boot sits very snug in the cap giving a nice seal.

Wow thanks.
I'm astonished at the brightness. Looks like I don't need to go too high on the lumens after all.

• 2011 i30

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I still have the factory dust caps on my car just had to remove the anti fog pouch off the back off the dust cover to fit.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Wow thanks.
I'm astonished at the brightness. Looks like I don't need to go too high on the lumens after all.
Yes you don't want the low beam lights to bright, overly bright will become annoying with light being reflected back from road signs quite strongly, also water on the road can become quite reflective with whiter light so a good reason not to go super bright.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I still have the factory dust caps on my car just had to remove the anti fog pouch off the back off the dust cover to fit.
That's because the PD models have a little more room behind the cap, my GD model needed more to fit the cap.

GaKu also has an FD model going by his signature so I'm unsure of how much available room they have :undecided: if he thinks he need's more then the dust cap mod is a simple task :)

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol

Wow thanks.
Yes you don't want the low beam lights to bright, overly bright will become annoying with light being reflected back from road signs quite strongly, also water on the road can become quite reflective with whiter light so a good reason not to go super bright.

I've installed a fan cooled set today with 4500 lumens. Seem pretty good so far.
It came with a separate driver unit but there was space in the housing to tuck everything in.

Just hope the cops don't stop me...
  • 2011 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
With the fan type LED's I don't think the one's I've used would be suitable :undecided: maybe not enough room for ventilation.

There are other types that allow the fan to remain external :link: 2pcs 80mm Car Headlight Dust Cover Seal Cap Rubber LED HID Headlamp Waterproof | eBay just need to work out what size you'd require.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal