i30 Owners Club

My 2017 PD has "the vibration" between 1600-1900rpm under hard acceleration

Offline CaptainVibration

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hi folks, had my 2017 i30 PD for just over a month now and the vibration the 1600-1900rpm is really starting to annoy me. Reading through the topics I've managed to find on here I can only see it happening with the previous gen i30's.

Some more info about the problem.

• Car has 75000 miles
  • Vibration is barely audible under very gradual acceleration
  • Only happens in gears 3,4,5,6
  • Is particularly bad when going up hills, I was accelerating up at steep hill in 6th gear and the wuuummmm vibration kept going on for a long time until I was at 1900rpm
  • The sound is exactly the same as this video (24 seconds onward) posted in a previous thread by Jones95 :link: Hyundai i30, 2011, harsh vibration - YouTube

Have their been any further findings related to this problem? To my knowledge, this is the only report of this noise on the PD gen cars. A user called nzenigma seemed to think this was a resonation problem which does make sense as it is more of a resonating feeling than a vibration. I'm very hesitant to go to my mechanic since this problem does not seem to be straightforward and could end up being very expensive and still might not even fix the noise!
  • Hyundai i30 PD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It doesnt sound like the clutch spring rattle on my old PD.
Are you sure the airbox lid is closed properly

Offline CaptainVibration

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hi Lorian, I was just reading through some posts about this issue again today and I remember your clutch issue. I saw you mention that pressing the clutch pedal slightly would change the noise but this made no difference in my case.

Your suggestion of the airbox lid gave me hope for a brief moment as the sound feels like it's coming towards the front left of the car where the airbox is located but upon inspection the airbox lid is closed correctly.

I managed to record a few clips today of what the vibration sounds like. All in gears 3/4.
:link: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder 1
:link: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder 2
:link: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder 3
:link: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder 4

• Hyundai i30 PD

Offline CaptainVibration

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
And the solution was.... No clue. The vibration and noise continued to get worse to the point where it was causing buttons on the steering wheel to trigger on their own. The car has now been rejected under the CRA. If are in Northern Ireland you have bought a Hyundai i30 from CR Morrow with the registration RJ17 UPR , VIN TMAH3517LJJ003815 then you have inherited my faulty car.

Good luck to anyone trying to solve this problem.
  • Hyundai i30 PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal