i30 Owners Club

Rust issues?

GaKu · 10 · 5152

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Hi. Just wanted to know if there are any known rust issues with the FD?
Noticed this small patch on the top side of the right rear door.   :(

Any advise on preventing further spreading?  :idea:

Thanks

cancel pandora
  • 2011 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you're not wanting to have it properly repaired you can treat with a rust converter which will prevent further spreading, example :link: SCA RUST CONVERTER - 250mL - Supercheap Auto

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd get it looked at. In case it's symptomatic of a wider problem.

My FD bought new, spent it's life close to the beach,  regularly carrying wet surfboards. There was absolutely no evidence of rust when I sold it after 8 years. Mine was Korean though. Not sure where you're was made.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't think they have any major issues however the environment with which the vehicle was used in would have an impact on longevity. Snowy salty conditions would be one accelerant.

another would be how the vehicle is stored and the cleaning regime.

Two things I've noticed, one the hatch or tailgate end in both corners where the roof panel and the remainder meet and are spot welded there is no or almost no seam sealer.

all 3 of mine have evidence of corrosion and cracking in this area likely body flexing.

I intend to run a bead of polyurethane sealant and paint over the area on mine.

My high K hatch I found a window channel internal of the door at the bottom had corroded away.

I suspect the build up of very fine road dust which was caked on and throughout the vehicle and condensation, trapped moisture caused this. The dust is that fine it becomes like concrete and cakes on with moisture. perfect for corrosion.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee, that's nearly the worst I've seen on here. They are generally pretty good even in places where they salt the road.

We are lucky in Australia, as they don't need to salt the road and our environment is generally more car friendly (although sun damage can be a factor at times)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I don't think they have any major issues however the environment with which the vehicle was used in would have an impact on longevity. Snowy salty conditions would be one accelerant.

Two things I've noticed, one the hatch or tailgate end in both corners where the roof panel and the remainder meet and are spot welded there is no or almost no seam sealer.

all 3 of mine have evidence of corrosion and cracking in this area likely body flexing.

My high K hatch I found a window channel internal of the door at the bottom had corroded away.

I suspect the build up of very fine road dust which was caked on and throughout the vehicle and condensation, trapped moisture caused this. The dust is that fine it becomes like concrete and cakes on with moisture. perfect for corrosion.

Is the polyurethane sealant available commercially like the rust converter? Could you provide a link please?

In either case, the rust being where it is, I'm afraid any local treatment might affect  the rubber lining
  • 2011 i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:happydance:  The Polyurethane Foam Kit again.  Can I watch.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Non expanding this time. :whistler:

Thats a pity,  :rolleyes:

My SLX has a rattle in the hatch lid. Giving foam some thought.  :whistler:

:winker:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 22:35:57 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol

My FD bought new, spent it's life close to the beach,  regularly carrying wet surfboards. There was absolutely no evidence of rust when I sold it after 8 years. Mine was Korean though. Not sure where you're was made.

Mine is Czech made.
  • 2011 i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Mine is Czech made.

Just brush some rust converter on. It wont hurt rubber.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Is the polyurethane sealant available commercially like the rust converter? Could you provide a link please?

In either case, the rust being where it is, I'm afraid any local treatment might affect  the rubber lining
I'm just using it to seal and paint over, not as a rust treatment. Sikaflex and there are various grades but should be able to get in a tube, not cheap but very adhesive and durable. Not sure in your situation though that's what I'd do.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal