i30 Owners Club

Weird starting issue that just got worse

Offline FormalRS

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me here!

I've got a 2013 i30 CRDI automatic, love it, but there's been a couple of occasions where the engine doesn't start. A few times I've managed to faff about and get it to go (just trying the key again and whatnot, nothing under the hood), but tonight it just wouldn't start.

Turning the key fully doesn't make the engine tick over, it doesn't even attempt to start, but everything else comes on fine (lights, sockets, etc.) The brake pedal also seems to be fully depressed, which was the case when this happened before but was fixable. I'm a fairly new driver and I feel like this is somehow down to me making a bit of an arse of something.

I'm not sure what kind of info would be helpful, so please just ask any questions that are needed. I've popped a photo of the lights on as well. Been driving daily and just a few hours ago with no issues, no warning lights, etc. so I'm unsure if these lights are genuine or if they just appear when the key is in but the car isn't going.

• 2013 i30 CRDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
What are your voltage readings at the various key positions?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline FormalRS

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
UPDATE:

Started this afternoon after a minute. A friend's driving instructor (who has also worked as a mechanic) had a look and said it was likely due to low brake fluid, though the relevant warning light wasn't appearing when driving. He said that it's essentially a safety feature where the brake pedal will be locked in the depressed position so that the car can't be started.

Have now topped it up and haven't had an issue so far, touch wood.
  • 2013 i30 CRDI

Offline FormalRS

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
What are your voltage readings at the various key positions?

Thanks for replying! Thankfully the issue seems to be sorted with no major hassle, will keep in mind to get a multimeter in case I need to diagnose anything battery related in future :)
  • 2013 i30 CRDI

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal