i30 Owners Club

18" Veloster Wheels for i30 Active GD

avexdevil · 29 · 14596

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Planning to swap the stock 16" steel wheels on my Active GD for 18" Veloster turbo alloy wheels I procured.

I pulled up a few spec sheets, and sourced some data:

veloster 18" x 7.5 - 215/40/18
i30 16" x 6.5J - 205/55/16

I'm not too savvy with all the offsets and what sized tyres are a best fit, could someone please advise me?

Thanks!
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wttc:

Nice pickup  :judges:

Sorry, I can't help with the offsets etc.. But I'm sure someone will.  :agoodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
what do you want to know? you haven't actually posted the 'offset' and with the tyre specs they are practically the same 'size'

i.e almost no change to your speedo reading. (if you can actually pick the speed difference you should become a human speed camera)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
They will be absolutely fine, the Volester SR turbo wheels fix the earlier FD without issue,so I couldn't see why Hyundai would completely retool a whole factory to fit different offset wheels on the GD.

Like agentr31 said looking at those tyre sizes,your change in rolling radius will be negliable,without getting the calculator out,I doubt you will be changing your rolling radius by the allowed 3 %
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
thanks for the input, i'm picking up my i30 tomorrow...so very keen on getting the rims on asap...

then it dawned on me that i might run into warranty issues if i went from stock 16" to 'aftermarket' (even though they are genuine hyundai) 18" rims meant for a different car.

will my warranty be void?
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thanks for the input, i'm picking up my i30 tomorrow...so very keen on getting the rims on asap...

then it dawned on me that i might run into warranty issues if i went from stock 16" to 'aftermarket' (even though they are genuine hyundai) 18" rims meant for a different car.

will my warranty be void?

Only on anything that can be "blamed" on the wheels. For example if the brakes started over heating or the suspension arms or something got bent (both extremely unlikely of course)

It won't void your warranty on anything like the engine or gearbox of interior trim (or anything else unrelated to the wheels)

You will need to discuss the upgrade with your insurance though. Some can get really "funny" about an upgrade like that!  :fingers:

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
just got in contact with a junkyard type store that sells both new/used tyres and the fellow recommended me to put 235/40 R18s on my wheels. He's offering tyres to be fitted on my rims then on to my car and aligned for $460...

question here is would the 235 be any different from the 215 recommended on the veloster spec sheet? the rolling radius between the 16" and 18" were roughly same before...
  • i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I wouldn't be changing from the recommended size of tyre which Hyundai originally fitted to the rim even though you can,the wider you go on the smaller lighter car,you increase your chance of aqua planing in the wet and yes hopefully sometime this year we will get some rain.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
As I understand it, the profile is a percentage of the tyre width so, logic would tell me going the wider tyre without reducing the profile would result in a slightly larger rolling radius.  :undecided:

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
hmm, i did a quick look through google. the rolling radius would presumedly not be affected if i have lower profile tyres with the 18" rims, i'm swapping 55% profile ones on the 16" to 40% profile ones on the 18". I still don't see how the width affects the rolling radius...though i don't quite understand why he didn't recoemmend 215/40 R18's instead as the veloster rims were originally fitted with 215 tyres...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:15:57 by avexdevil »
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Enjoy the more expensive, noisier, more uncomfortable ride.  :fum:

Don't forget insurance and vehicle warranty, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I still don't see how the width affects the rolling radius...though i don't quite understand why he didn't recoemmend 215/40 R18's instead as the veloster rims were originally fitted with 215 tyres...

Let me try to explain it....  :undecided:

The profile of the tyres is 40, right?
So that means 40% of 215mm, this means the tyre wall works out to be 86mm. Increasing the tyre width to 235mm means the tyre wall height increases to 94mm....

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
wow so many naysayers despite plenty of i30 with 18 inchers on the forum :(.

i thought the 215/235 was referring to width ie horizontal across thickness (as per google) and not height? the /40 or /55 refers to the height...
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
wow so many naysayers despite plenty of i30 with 18 inchers on the forum :(.

Only 2 of us.  :lol:

It's your car, so it's your choice.  ;)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Avexdevil, look up the appropriate tyre here and you'll soon see what difference the tyre width makes...  :)

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Thanks is there one for 16” wheels too? Maybe I can compare height or circumference to keep them as close as possible…
  • i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
hmm, based on those tables i see no relation at all...

even the radius/circumference/sidwall height of the stock veloster wheels vs the stock hyundai i30s are quite different, straight swapping them would've been a problem too..

i haven't yet had a definitive answer as to what tyres should go on the veloster rims to properly fit an i30...

i'm just gonna bank my money on the guy that owns a tyre business, i'm sure his recommendations should be fairly sound. He's assured me safety is utmost priority and he's throwing warranty on the tyres and fitting...
  • i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Look at speedy wheels, I asked for better rims at the dealers and got these at a steal from the salesman
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They definitely suit your car, congratulations

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nice :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Villa_23

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
They look good now just needs to be lowered
  • I30 trophy

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Looks Ace!  :cool:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
They look good now just needs to be lowered

Be very careful before doing this,not sure about the GD,but the FD's are a very firm ride as they are,I have recently rode in two friends cars which they lowered(which I like the look of)but it has convinced me not to do mine,their cars now ride incredibility hard,not something I could do the miles I do in mine on a daily basis,my back would be compressed beyond recognition,I have enough trouble with my back and neck now(having broken them in 1976)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal