i30 Owners Club

18 inch rims for my white I30 Active 5 door hatchback

Offline Mike from Brisbane

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Kangaroo Point, Qld
Hi all, just picked up my I30 Active 2 weeks ago, I was seriously thinking about going for some 18 inch 5 spoke wheels but after reading about road noise and comfort I'm now having second thoughts?

I have heard that the Pirelli P1's are a quite tyre but not sure now due to reading about low profile tyres, any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

:sweating:
  • I30 Active 2014, 5 door hatch, petrol, 6 speed auto.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi all, just picked up my I30 Active 2 weeks ago, I was seriously thinking about going for some 18 inch 5 spoke wheels but after reading about road noise and comfort I'm now having second thoughts?

I have heard that the Pirelli P1's are a quite tyre but not sure now due to reading about low profile tyres, any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

:sweating:
Everything is relative. The P1 may well be quiet. But only against other tyres of the same size. This is due to some variances in tread design (and a very slight difference caused by different tread rubber compunds.
The main problem with low profile tyres is harshness, often misinterpreted as noise. But with so little sidewall to flex and absorb road imperfections, the ride is neve rgoing to be as good as on a 17"  or smaller diameter tyre.
Also, the 18" has a wider footprint so it's hitting a wider cross section of road, which highlights more imperfections.
Using an 18" is all about appearance. If you want to fill your guards up, they'll do it. But it will be at the expense of ride quality.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:

They look great if you don't mind the pay off.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Do you actually mean trade off,a pay off would be good  :goodjob2:

I have the factory 16's on one of ours and aftermarket 17's on the other and you can tell the difference in comfort,but I must admit the one with the 17's is a lot more fun to drive,handles far better
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Kangaroo Point, Qld
Thanks for the comments, so if I'm reading it right then if I go for a higher side walled tyre then it might be bearable with noise?

Is there a middle ground between your standard high walled tyre and a lower profile tyres? maybe a 40 profile?

So if the standard is something like 205 x 55 x 16 would it be better to look at 220 x 40 x 18? 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You cant just put larger profile tyres on to larger diameter rims, this will throw your speedo readings out.

The larger rim diameter you move up to requires a smaller tyre profile which in turn will make the ride comfort more harsh, an 18 inch rim will need 35 profile tyres I think and then you also run the risk of damaging the rims more easily.

There's also no 220 width tyre, sizes will go from 205 - 215 - 225 etc

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^^^^

What Craig said.
 In my opinion, the 55 series is about as good as you can get for a combination of ride comfort and steering responsiveness.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Do you actually mean trade off,a pay off would be good  :goodjob2:

I have the factory 16's on one of ours and aftermarket 17's on the other and you can tell the difference in comfort,but I must admit the one with the 17's is a lot more fun to drive,handles far better

No, I meant the pay off because you pay for it.   :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Mike what ever you do,remember in Oz,you can not change the   track or rolling radius of your wheels by more than three (3) Percent
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Kangaroo Point, Qld
Thanks to all for your comments which gives me some food for thought, maybe I will buy 17" rims and tyres to keep things legal with a 55 profile which should give me comfort and a nice looking rim.

Once again all cheers for your thoughts and wisdom.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The 55 profile comes on the 16 inch rims so if you are looking at 17's then the profile should be 45 I believe.

What are the standard size rims and tyres you have now?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks to all for your comments which gives me some food for thought, maybe I will buy 17" rims and tyres to keep things legal with a 55 profile which should give me comfort and a nice looking rim.

Once again all cheers for your thoughts and wisdom.
on 17" rims you'll need 225/45R17 tyres.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal