i30 Owners Club

14" rims for snow tyres

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

• Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Will they fit over the front brakes?  I have a Canadian-sold 2009 with Sport Pkg (came with 17" 215/45/17)...  I have a set of studded 185/70/14 from my Civic and would like to use them.

I plan to dry fit anyways but thought I'd ask!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
rallyfan,
there's very little clearance between the standard 15" steel wheels and the front calipers.
I doubt a 14" wheel will clear them.
What rims were you planning on using? They'd need to be 5 stud with the right PCD and the offset would need to be correct.
But, please keep us posted on your progress.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yer i think you might have a bit of trouble finding a 14'' rim in 5x114.3 stud pattern!

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

yer i think you might have a bit of trouble finding a 14'' rim in 5x114.3 stud pattern!

No, I have some--- I had my studded snows on my 2008 Civic (5x114.3 (aka 4x4.5")) --same bolt pattern.  They are in-stock in our local Walmart even.

On the Civic they cleared the front brakes by about 5mm... I'll try them on the i30 this weekend and let you know.

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

rallyfan,
there's very little clearance between the standard 15" steel wheels and the front calipers.
I doubt a 14" wheel will clear them.
What rims were you planning on using? They'd need to be 5 stud with the right PCD and the offset would need to be correct.
But, please keep us posted on your progress.

I looked at some stock 15" steelies and yes, there doesn't seem to be any extra room.  I'll measure the offset when I have them off side by side.  The rims are Walmart universal steelies that have 5x114.3 and 5x100 bolt patterns.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
I think the (5) stud pattern & offset is same as some Mazda & Honda fitments, so may be worth a test swap around if other rims are available.  As far as I can tell 15" is smallest diameter rim sold on i30's.
Out of interest - what winter tyres are you going for as I am about to get 4 15" winter tyres for my i30 (I was very lucky to find some i30 rims locally a few months back).  Current favourites seem to be Vredestein, Nokian or Michelin depending on price in UK.

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

I think the (5) stud pattern & offset is same as some Mazda & Honda fitments, so may be worth a test swap around if other rims are available.  As far as I can tell 15" is smallest diameter rim sold on i30's.
Out of interest - what winter tyres are you going for as I am about to get 4 15" winter tyres for my i30 (I was very lucky to find some i30 rims locally a few months back).  Current favourites seem to be Vredestein, Nokian or Michelin depending on price in UK.

My studded tyres are Hankooks that were left over from when I rallied a VW Golf.  I always (last 4 sets on mine and wife's cars) go Nokian- I had the WR G2s on my Civic and they were great.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Doubt 14" will fit. Even with 15", brakes don't have much space. It would probably rub with 14" or you even couldn't put them on.

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Even if the rims fit (which they probably won't), the centre bore diameter of the Civic rims is 70.3mm while the Hyundai wheels have a centre bore of 67.1mm. For wheel security, the wheel should be a snug fit on the hub.

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

Even if the rims fit (which they probably won't), the centre bore diameter of the Civic rims is 70.3mm while the Hyundai wheels have a centre bore of 67.1mm. For wheel security, the wheel should be a snug fit on the hub.

Andrew

Funny you say this... for fun when I got this Hyundai, I went to switch the wheels from my Civic to this (my wifes at the time- now I drive it since we got her a van for the kids) Hyundai to freak her out (the Hyundai 17" are nicer than the Civic 16").  The Civic wheels had a SMALLER bore and would not mount on the Hyundai.  The Hyundai wheels went on the Civic no problem.  The 14" snows center hub was too big for the Civic and may be just right for the Hyundai.  3 more days til I try it!

(Of note my Hyundai was made in Korea and the Civic in Canada- if it makes any difference).

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

Andrew

2008 Civic is 64.1mm
2009 Elantra Touring 67.1mm

And a way to fix the problem if they are too big:
http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric&sub=how&track=GHR

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

I haven't forgotten... been stupid busy.  I hope to try tonight!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

Tried... and not even close!  The (front) caliper housing is chunkier than the Civic by far.  It fit so bad I think 15" wheels may not fit unless the exact right shape.  Time to go wheel and tyre shopping for the winter I guess!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
it does sit out a bit aye... i had trouble putting my stock 17'' wheels from the other car on, they just didnt fit even with 3mm spacers!

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Just to pursue this thread about snow /winter tyres.
I am fortunate to have some 15" i30 alloys from a 2008 i30 1.4 that I bought 2ndhand, and I intend to use for winter tyres to fit to my 2010 CRDi Comfort auto that normally has 16" rims. 
Being forewarned by this thread I shall now trial fit the rims to ensure clearance at least before buying the tyres - even thoug they are off an i30 etc!
On subject of winter /snow /cold tyres - anyone have experience of Michelin Alpin A3's??  They are on offer in UK at a good price (@ Costco from 1 November - if you buy 4 you get -20%).  I am unable to track down Vredestein's or Nokian's locally or even at the same sort of price.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Thanks Rallyfan33
I fitted my mud flaps yesterday (see separate thread re flaps for Czech 2011 spec cars). 
I can confirm that my "spare" 15" i30 wheels do fit in place of the regular 16" wheels, but there is very little clearance for both front & rear calipers and so I doubt that 14" rims would ever fit.  Or if they do fit they won't go round!
By the way - I ended up with Michelin Alpin A4's (in 195/65x15) at a good price from Costco - not driven on them as yet.  I had expected to fit them yesterday but the weather has warmed up here in UK.  Although I do have some excursions coming up (RAC rally is on here next week) when they will likely be tried.
Ed

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

RAC Rally would be a lot of fun!
I ended up with 195/65/15 Aurora (made by Hankook in Korea) W403 studded snows on steel rims.
So far so good.  Super noisy but most dedicated snowies are.  The offset is a little off, they stick out a bit further than the stock 17s, but I don't mind for winters with the slower driving.

Forecast calls for our first 5cm of snow for the season tonight so I will have a chance to really try them!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Had a pleasant snowfall in Vancouver overnight (Friday - Saturday).
Very pretty drive to the airport along Granville St.
Honolulu tonight.
Trev
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
By the way - I ended up with Michelin Alpin A4's (in 195/65x15) at a good price from Costco - not driven on them as yet. 
Well I have driven on them now as we have some wet snow in North East England.  Last night I was astonished how much grip I had in slush & snow, and could easily go, stop, steer all the time & travel much quicker than others whilst the others were slithering around.  Car would also climb between the slightly cleared (by traffic) motorway lanes without being thrown around /tramlining etc. 
So I think these winter /cold weather tyres are just fantastic.  1st set I have had - I used studded "snow" tyres a few years back that were good in ice and snow but very cumbersome otherwise.
I was also eager to find if they are quieter than the 16" Hankook's on dry roads - and no they are not -  but then they are winter tread patten etc.  And on dry roads they are not as "pointy" as the Hankook's - but they are taller & narrower.
For benefit of Rallyfan33, RAC rally info is at http://www.rogeralbertclarkrally.org/ - check out the names (old faces) on the entry list! 
Sadly if weather is like this I doubt we will get down to Olivers Mount on Saturday - winter tyres or not.
Ed

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I was astonished how much grip I had in slush & snow, and could easily go, stop, steer all the time & travel much quicker than others whilst the others were slithering around.  Car would also climb between the slightly cleared (by traffic) motorway lanes without being thrown around /tramlining etc. 
So I think these winter /cold weather tyres are just fantastic. 

Now you know what will happen just like the stories you used to hear about fog, all cars follow and end up in your drive  :lol:.

All cars will see you ploughing the way thro' and think Ahh the road/grip is OK and they will follow you.

Foot down not thinking/knowing you have winter tyre.

Just watch your back for the shunt as we all know that stopping in ice/snow is not the same as on a clear road.

Great to hear that the tyre are doing their job and gripping as expected.

ps seems you'll need them for a few days yet.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
Sorry to highjack your thread but I have a question.

With wheels for the winter, do the wheels have to be smaller than the ones that come with the car? Mine came with 16 inch wheels, can I just get some 16 inch wheels with the same spec tyres as the original (205/55/16)? Im thinking of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
With wheels for the winter, do the wheels have to be smaller than the ones that come with the car? Mine came with 16 inch wheels, can I just get some 16 inch wheels with the same spec tyres as the original (205/55/16)? Im thinking of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D
Maybe you should find the rims first - I was very very lucky to find some 15" rims locally via Ebay & from another forum member (my i30 normally runs the 16" same as yours).  Then get the tyres with about the same rolling radius (so as the speedometer is about right).  However Hyundai helps you there by quoting tyre sizes in the handbook for 17, 16 & 15" rims.  I believe that narrower tyres may be best for snow, although maybe this is changed with the new compounds and tread patterns.
You should also get the correct load and speed rating - although winter tyres commonly have lower speed ratings.  Personally, I think you should tell your insurer of the change in tyre size & spec, just in case.
Dunno about the Dunlop Winter tyres, but I think the Michelin Alpin A4's I got courtesy of Costco (at the right price) are nothing short of astonishing - just been to Scarborough & back today (about 190 miles) in snow /ice etc without any dramas, and able to make progress when others were dawdling.
Ed

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
MyTyres.co.uk do steel wheel & winter tyres combos

6 x 16  5 x 114.30 x 67.00 ET: 51.00

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

Here's a very belated reply: 
I go from the 17" to 15" wheel so that the sidewall is taller to protect from damaging the rims hitting things hidden by the snow.  Plus in cold, the sidewalls are softer.  But I have friend s with 18" snows on their Subarus and they work well too!  Especially in mild, wet, low snow areas (like here, but I still like the taller sidewalls).
Cheers!

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Agree with rallyfan33.

You can put winter tires on those (alloy?) wheels too - original ones. You can also buy 16" steel wheels + 205/55/16 tires or buy new set of 15" steel or alloy wheels + tires 195/65/15 or 185/65/15. Whichever you want and suits you best.
 If buying new wheels, you have to watch out for the dimensions (5×114.3, central hole diameter, ET offset..)
If you have a lot of snow, it's usually better to go with narrower tire..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal