i30 Owners Club

1.6CRDi gear change

Offline russgreen

• 2nd Gear
I've only done about 1800 miles but I've got an intermittenely crumchy second gear when shifting up....no issues going down and it wasn't like it from new.  Its been back to the dealer to check the linkages and they coudn't fault it.

anyone else have similar issues?

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
i had one moment when changing down from 3rd to 2nd up hill and it crunched and ive done less miles, it has only happend once, but i put it down to getting use to it

Offline russgreen

• 2nd Gear
I'm hoping its just my driving style....although that's quite an annoying thought.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Russ,

Sorry I've got the same model and although it was a bit stiff up and down in 2nd gear for the first few thousand kays it never crunched from what I can remember. Nice smooth changing after 5 or 10 thousand kays.. (done 46,000 now  :razz:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline russgreen

• 2nd Gear
OK...maybe crunch was the wrong word.  its like it just snags sometimes....almost as the the clutch hasn't gone in fully and it's being pulled out of 1st too soon.....so I;ve tried very slowly coming off the gas, depress the clutch fully and then change up but sometimes it'll still do it.

If I'm not moving and and depress the clutch and simply move the gears from 1st to 2nd and back its feels "snaggy" but gets easier and easier until its very smooth and positive....shame it doesn't remember that feeling for long.....I'll see how it goes for another few months then before taking it back again for another look.

3rd gear and up feels great it just getting up to 2nd when pulling out into traffic that is started to spoil my fun a  little.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No probs with mine.

When changing from 3 to 2 you have to make sure that you physically move and make sure the stick is directly in line with the "gate" to second gear so it slips in rather than a "forced" movement.

On mine the stick has a natural "home" of  being directly between 3 and 4 and to move to 1 or 2 you have to push it over to line up with their "gates".

Sometimes I find it best to just hold the gear stick in neutral for a milli second just by the gear "gate" before you slip into the selected gear.

Also, make sure your revs are within certain bands when changing gear.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Russ, and welcome.

As with Dazz I found the gear changes a bit iffy, so to speak, to start with.

The gear linkage is cable-driven as I'm sure you've read about. This will improve over time; I am now driving with a "baby's arse" smooth gear change and I've done over 33,000m, but it's only been smooth for the last 10,000 miles, so stick with it (no pun intended)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've only done about 1800 miles but I've got an intermittenely crumchy second gear when shifting up....no issues going down and it wasn't like it from new.  Its been back to the dealer to check the linkages and they coudn't fault it.

anyone else have similar issues?
i took my manual petrol hatch in to have the same problem looked at and they said the same thing,we cant find a problem.but after i got it back it was as good as new and told me they hadn't done anything :exclaim: :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
He Russ I think if you are forceful with the gearchanges (rather than baby them) when she is fairly new it might loosen up more quickly I.M.O.O....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal