i30 Owners Club

Information Needed to Compare Gear Ratios for Each Model

AlanHo · 77 · 23708

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

:rofl: Love the way you just dismiss it - wife broke her leg.  :lol:

Getting used to it.

She had a serious operation on her foot last December ....6 weeks no load bearing then gradual return to normal.  Was due for a 'final inspection' tomorrow.

Last Thursday morning -  all packed for long weekend at our son's place in Somerset - and she slipped dislocating her ankle and breaking tib and fib  on the same leg whilst inspecting the rainwater butt that I had rushed to get from Aldi at 8a.m..

Six weeks no load bearing................. can't use the stairs so confined to bedroom.   :fum: Now forty years ago..........  :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This table details the gearing data provided by various members for their i30 CRDi cars.

You are welcome to draw your own conclusions regarding the gearing of the various models - be they the previous model with 5 and 6 speed gear boxes and the new model with a 6 speed box.

My new model is clearly more highly geared than the previous cars - in fact the 4th and 5th gears are equal to the 5th and 6th gears of the previous model - with 6th gear being geared almost 17% higher.  This probably accounts for why my new car feels less spirited than my previous model and why I am now able to achieve economy figures exceeding 60 mpg (4.7 l/100km) whereas the previous cars best was only 52 mpg (5.43 l/100 km) over the same test route which included 34% urban and 66% motorway driving. 

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 20:00:01 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great post Alan.
The speeds in mph in first gear should be the same for my car & Nustyrutz' though. :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Great post Alan.
The speeds in mph in first gear should be the same for my car & Nustyrutz' though. :undecided:
Sorry about that - now amended - I can't type accurately either............ :twisted:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for your efforts yet again Alan  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The i30 manual car just launched in Australia is different to the European version in two major respects.

The Korean built cars have a torsion beam rear suspension whereas the Euro cars have a more expensive multi link set up.

Gear ratios for the manual cars are also different. The Australian car is lower geared.

Here are the speeds at 2000 rpm.

1st gear.  Aus car 17 kph    Euro car 18 kph
2nd gear  Aus car 31 kph    Euro car 32 kph
3rd gear  Aus car  51 kph   Euro car  56 kph
4th gear  Aus car  72 kph   Euro car  79 kph
5th gear  Aus car  86 kph   Euro car  93 kph
6th gear  Aus car 101 kph  Euro car  111 kph

My guess is that the Australian model will feel more lively but will have a slightly worse fuel economy - it definitely has much worse emmissions presumably because it does not have a DPF.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:19:36 by AlanHo »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That is interesting from both the gearing point of view and the suspension set up.
On the website it points out that the Australian suspension tune is designed for Australian conditions.
I wonder why they went to beam rear axle?  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What is this "Australian conditions", are we on a different planet. We have roads ranging from dirt tracks to freeways with lower speed limits than Europe  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I agree.
I don't think that the majority of our conditions are much different from other parts of the world.
Sure, if you're in the outback it's different but that's not where i30s are going to be.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
They might have changed the diff ratio (lower geared) but surely the rear suspension is the same? Not confused with the Accent?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
They might have changed the diff ratio (lower geared) but surely the rear suspension is the same? Not confused with the Accent?

Definately different rear suspension, pip..... :)

http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/i30/specification-range

Pip
Ok, it does say that but am I to believe that there are two completely different rear suspensions, each having different mounting points etc.?

Not convinced, it's one or the other and torsion beam is a step backward. :confused:

A torsion beam takes less space (so more in the cabin) and cheaper which advantages the smaller Accent better. Someone needs to look under one. :winker:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:11:52 by Pip »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
According to the brochure, the Accent has a torsion beam rear end too....  :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This review also confirms the Aussie i30 has the torsion beam rear suspension.....

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54247/2012-hyundai-i30-first-drive-road-test-review-australia

I read elsewhere that all Korean built i30's have the torsion beam rear end....while the i30's built at the Czech Republic factory have the multi link rear suspension.  :cool:

Pip
So it looks like they have dumbed down the rear suspension for Aussie cars. :wacko: And that article says that the Oz suspension tuning was to soften the ride at handling expense.:undecided:

I always assumed that when the original car's tuning had been Austalianised it was to to improve the handling performance but perhaps it was the other way around. Might explain why we ended up with a significantly smaller rear sway bar than the UK and from memory those here that were less impressed with understeer and beefed the sway bar were from Oz.

I was never in line for this model but on paper they seem to have have moved away from many items on my checklist. :neutral:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal