i30 Owners Club

No scoreboard, ladder or match results for junior footballers...

Guest · 10 · 2960

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
No scoreboard, ladder or match results for junior footballers under changes to be unveiled by AFL

CHILDREN will be banned from playing to win, keeping score and best and fairest awards under Australia-wide changes to junior football ­developed by the AFL.

Thousands of junior footballers in up to 150 leagues will be forced to play with no scoreboard, ladders or match results under the shake-up designed to promote participation rather than competition.

Footy-loving kids will this year also be barred from representative sides, play on smaller grounds, in smaller teams for less time under changes to be unveiled by the AFL in the next fortnight.

The scoring ban, previously restricted to under-8 and, in some cases, under-9 competition in Victoria, will this year be phased into many under-10 competitions.

Other leagues will phase in some changes this year and the remainder next year.

AFL national development manager Josh Vanderloo said the new rules had been drafted in consultation with leagues to give children “an enjoyment philosophy rather than a winning philosophy’’.

“Our research shows that kids play the game to have fun and not just to win,’’ he said.

“This game is for kids and these rules and regulations have been prescribed for kids so it will be better for them.’’

In another shift, strict rules about contact have been relaxed so that “full tackling’’, usually confined to under 13s, will now be acceptable among under 11s.

An AFL guide for the conduct of players aged five to 12, titled “This is Our Game’’, spells out the match-day regulations for under-9 and under-10 players.

“No premiership points, no finals, no ladders, no match result (no score) and no names of players published,’’ it says.

Representative teams will not be allowed at under-11 level, under-9 and under-10 teams will be reduced from 18 to as few as 12 players.

And ground sizes will be restricted to 100m x 80m divided into three equal zones for under-9 and under-10 ­matches.

The Northern Football League will this season apply the no scoring, no ladder, no match result philosophy to its under-10 players.

League chief Peter McDougall admitted the changes would be contentious and said he had ordered 5000 flyers to help explain their ­implementation.

“You’re always going to get some coaches and parents who think their kids should be playing for sheep stations,” he said.

“Some parents will be shocked, no doubt, but our focus is on education and helping them understand the philosophy of the changes.’’

Laurimar Junior Football Club tried the changes on Sunday, putting under-10 player’s through their paces with revised rules.

Club vice president Andrew Jamieson said children were “not very happy”.

The AFL drafted the new guidelines in conjunction with Deakin University research.

Source: No scoreboard, ladder or match results for junior footballers under changes to

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What a load of "%^$^&*(&^%$£"

Some PC person has got their knickers in a twist probably because their kid got hurt!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Fair enough for no finals and no ladder, but the kids playing know whether they have won the game or not. Also, publishing a few players names each week for "best on field" or "special effort" gives the kids a buzz. Good coaches and managers in junior sport make sure that all players feel included.

What is the point of playing a competitive sport if nobody wins?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What a load of "%^$^&*(&^%$£"

Some PC person has got their knickers in a twist probably because their kid got hurt!!!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth, eye.

What's wrong with a winning philosophy, prepares children for the real world, which is a fundamental part of learning.

PC people are BSA's
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Crazy stuff isn't it?
No doubt from the same people who would remove all exams from school  so as not to stress the little darlings out.

Hullo?

Real world ain't gonna wait for them to catch up.

Once your kids leave home and go to work (well, some of them  :disapp:), you can't hold their hands anymore. Surely it's better to introduce them to competition/ success/ failure while you can still help guide them through it.

Having said all that, I still have great faith in most of the youth of today.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
The nation is growing the kids up to be a bunch of pansy asses, excuse my language..........
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: Bullying needs to be monitored but all this other PC correctness is Bull$hit!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
:wts: Bullying needs to be monitored but all this other PC correctness is Bull$hit!
even with bullying, everybody now a days just says, try to fix things over a discussion.  What ever happened to after school fight. Hash it out, and move on.  Too much princess syndrome going around

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
even with bullying, everybody now a days just says, try to fix things over a discussion.  What ever happened to after school fight. Hash it out, and move on.  Too much princess syndrome going around

Sorry. I don't agree with this philosophy. I've seen too many mismatched fights - and TBH there are plenty of people, especially kids, who just aren't fighters. They shouldn't be bullied because of it.
As a high school kid I got into a couple of fights I didn't want. By dint of more than a bit of good luck, I won both. But I took no pleasure from it.
And the other kid (the same one both times) was only in it because of peer pressure, which is amongst the worst kind of bullying.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I don't know..... I completely understand the logic and the reasoning and agree with it to most. But also it seems that just telling an adult, just gets you picked on worse. When we were in school, bullying wasn't ever as bad as it is now. Because we took care of it as kids. So much emphasis on getting in trouble for fighting wasn't an issue. But I also blame the parents for now for not disciplining their children for bullying, and also the gov for instilling the "you cant spank, or belt your kids." My parents use to belt me or spank me. And im not talking getting beaten up, that's abuse, but a good few belts and You didn't do what you did wrong again.. lol  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal