i30 Owners Club

Scottish Rally Championship - Jim Clark Rally

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Awful news that the Jim Clark Rally was cancelled today after SS16 when a car left the road and crashed into a field killing 3 and leaving another in critical condition in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Another 5 were treated for less threatening injuries.

An earler incident left 4 injured and another in critical condition, also being treated in ERI.

My thoughts are with the families of the dead and injured and also with the organisers of an event which has run for 17 years without incident.  I suspect this is another nail in the coffin that is rallying, the Aberdeen round of the championship was left with only one spectator stage earlier this year due to not being able to meet the local authority's restirctions for running a public event which included being able to provide toilet facilities and walkways in the forests for spectators.  Motorsport is dangerous, competitors and spectators alike recognise this, however legislation will probably take the option to attend away from us completely.  :(
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is terrible Brian  :Shocked: :disapp:

Not sure about the Scottish Rally but in parts of mainland Europe they seem much laxer with spectator safety than her n Tassie at Targa Tasmania  and the like.. They choose spectator points very carefully as to greatly reduce any risk. Some of the rallies in Spain and Italy they seem to be almost standing on the road!  :eek: :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The UK is heavily marshalled and areas for spectator viewing are carefully defined and if the stage commander is unhappy at all has the right to delay or even postpone a stage if they feel that spectator safety is compromised.

Sometimes I think that the elf and safety police need to remind themselves of the very definition of accident.

Doesn't take away from the seriousness of events today though.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Oh, Ok.. sounds like similar to down here then... Some crashed cars do land in unexpected places that would be deemed safe!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Terribly sad news, Brian. Just been reading about it on FB.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Yes, a very tragic incident,  I saw it on the news.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal