Skydiver struggles with tangled parachute at 14,000 feet – video

eye30 · 25 · 5384

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A daredevil skydiver had to act quickly when his tangled parachute sent him into a desperate spin more than two miles above the earth’s surface.

:link: Skydiver struggles with tangled parachute at 14,000 feet ? video - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Yikes!

My boss' girlfriend is going skydiving in September...I have massive respect for that girl. I would rather just jump off my table or chair. It seems less risky  :mrgreen:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: wabbit16
I would rather just jump off my table or chair. It seems less risky  :mrgreen:

Now there you're wrong.

It's a fact that more people suffer serious injuries or die, by jumping off tables & chairs, than those who don't. See? :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Quote from: wabbit16
I would rather just jump off my table or chair. It seems less risky  :mrgreen:

Now there you're wrong.

It's a fact that more people suffer serious injuries or die, by jumping off tables & chairs, than those who don't. See? :P
They must be doing it wrong! :mrgreen:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Nobody has ever died parachuting. It's the sudden stop at the bottom that does the damage!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
"Under normal circumstances, it's not very difficult to cut away your main parachute,” he said.

“However, this was far from a normal situation. Someone else had hooked half my gear up incorrectly and I missed it.

I betcha he checks his own gear next time.....  :whistler:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I have a friend who say's he doesn't care how far out to sea he goes as long as he can touch the bottom with his feet ,well I feel the same about heights. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Tying an anchor to his feet should help him achieve that, John...  :whistler:

Might even work in your case too.....  :D

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Tying an anchor to his feet should help him achieve that, John...  :whistler:

Might even work in your case too.....  :D

Yes I should have put and keep his head above water as well. The anchor would definitely work in my case though :goodjob2: :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
That's one of the reasons my father gave as to why he joined the Army and not the Air Force or Navy.  His reasoning was that he can walk further than he can fly or swim. 

What does that make me?  I used to fly in the Navy!!   :wacko:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Very Lucky  :exclaim: :razz:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
That's one of the reasons my father gave as to why he joined the Army and not the Air Force or Navy.  His reasoning was that he can walk further than he can fly or swim. 

You beat me too it Jamie,I wanted to be a Pilot,but without the aircraft if something went wrong I can't fly at all,but I could swim,so thought I'd become a sailor,but once the boat/ship sank,I would be able to swim as far as I could walk,so I joined the army,became a driver and at least when My vehicle broke down I could walk all the way home.

Anyhow back to the parachute,while I was in the army,they where looking for paratroopers(SAS for the Aussies),so I thought I'd give it a go,after weeks of so called lessons,theory,practice tower jumps,it was time to go up in a Herc,all kitted out,up the plane goes higher and higher,Red light,Red light,order comes to hook up to the static line,order comes to stand,Red light,then Green light,now if you have every static jumped with forty odd other Blokes(first time),the practice is to have you your hand on the blokes shoulder in front of you and you just keep walking and you are told when his shoulder disappears,you just keep walking and DON'T LOOK DOWN OR STOP,well let me tell you when the blokes shoulder does go POOF,you automatically have a tendency to look down AND STOP,but the very thoughtful Crew chief,only gives you the slightest of split seconds before giving you a helping shove out the F*#@ing loading ramp.

Then comes the first few seconds of the free fall(which let me tell you doesn't last long,THANKFULLY)you try to scream as your falling head first towards the earth,then F*#&ing SNAP,via your harness,your nuts are brought up through your mouth,that pain soon disapates and you enjoy the blissful ride to the ground,but again this does not last(as back then there were none of these fancy well controlled parachutes,just a huge crappy green mushroom shape above your head)always in your mind just before you hit the ground,Legs together,Legs together,as soon as you hit bend your knees,Bend your knees and roll,bend your knees and roll,get to your feet and gather up your chute,so in actual fact,you think you have your feet together,but Ah!Ha! they are in fact a few inches apart,Bang you hint the ground,sprain your ankle,but you do remember to bend your knees and roll,you roll on a bloody great rock at lets say seventy bloody miles and hour.

But you do happen to get to your feet(to supposedly gather your chute)BOOM a Gale blows,opens your chute,then chooses to drag you 200 yards on your face through spinafex,so my motto every since then,was why jump out of a perfectly serviceable Plane and if it's not,I'm going down with it,because I know at the sudden stop at the bottom the terror will end.

So yes in conclusion people who go parachuting are idiots,if we where meant to fly we'd have wings
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 14:08:26 by Just Rick »
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thanks Rick-p, you saved me the bother of ever parachuting.  :goodjob2: :winker:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I enjoyed the read Rick.
a fews years back some friends of mine were paying good money to sky dive, i went to watch my friend Donna jump out a plane for her 40th birthday, we watch a vid they took of her jump strapped to an experienced sky diver.
i never seemed to feel the need to try it, but was good to watch from the ground & have a good laugh, she loved it. the little plane seemed to take a long time to reach jump hight it went around in circles climbing, that was boring to watch but the jump was fun to watch.
what about bungi jumps?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
What they said.. Never was on my bucket list though... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So yes in conclusion people who go parachuting are idiots,if we where meant to fly we'd have wings

Nearly as bad as people that join the army, hey Rick?  :snigger:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Nearly as bad as people that join the army, hey Rick?  :snigger:

Or people that parachute in the Army?   :lol:

Remember, there is no such thing as a perfectly serviceable aircraft.  Never, ever.   There will always be some Carried Forward Unserviceability (CFU) :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I enjoyed the read Rick.
a fews years back some friends of mine were paying good money to sky dive, i went to watch my friend Donna jump out a plane for her 40th birthday, we watch a vid they took of her jump strapped to an experienced sky diver.
i never seemed to feel the need to try it, but was good to watch from the ground & have a good laugh, she loved it. the little plane seemed to take a long time to reach jump hight it went around in circles climbing, that was boring to watch but the jump was fun to watch.
what about bungi jumps?

Now bungee jumps,That is something I have always wanted to try,yes I know the strap could possibly break,but like parachuting you never really think about what Could go wrong,but sadly due to breaking my neck and back many moons ago,it has been highly advised I don't do it but if I did do it wouldn't be hard to get off the tower,as I suffer badly from vertigo,once on a high tower or what ever I'd just fall anyhow
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I've done bungee jumping!!  I did it at Surfers Paradise, back in the early 90s.  It was fantastic!! 

Like Rick, I too suffer from vertigo, and my knees were very shaky at the edge of the basket.

Would I do it again?  Yep, no hesitation.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I've done horizontal bungee jumping...  :lol:

Does that also required some rubber  :whistler:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Like the vertical, a lack of rubber could be disastrous. :lol:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:44:01 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Not the sort of horizontal bungee jumping I was thinking of and yes, it's been posted before, but who cares...  :victory:

:link: Extreme Bungee - YouTube

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal