i30 Owners Club

Fuel MPG have i a problem?

Offline djpatchy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Ipswich
Hi everyone, new to this so bear with me please. I have just bought a one year old i30 comfort (UK model). It's the facelft model with loads of extra bits and bobs on.....anyway. It has the 1.4 DOHC petrol power unit. The book fuel figures suggest i should be getting an ave consumpsion of around 40 mpg. But at the moment i cant get anywhere near it, more like 35 mpg (trip comp ave mpg readout. I have heard rumours that this is a common problem with this engine, any one else suffering too? The car appears to run fine, in fact very pleased with it. Any body else had similar issues?
  • i30 comfort 61 plate (facelift model)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome djpatchy,

It would be hard to help you without more information.
Where is the 35 figure coming from.
To get accurate MPG, it is necessary to brim your tank, that is fill it till you can see the fuel at the top of the pipe, this can be tedious but is necessary. reset your trip meter to 0 drive smoothly with economy in mind, then brim the tank again. Divide the Gallons used, into the miles traveled to get the REAL MPG.

There is quite a lot on this forum so read other posts. Some members keep continuous MPG figures for each fill and always brim their tanks, I do.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline djpatchy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Ipswich
Thanks for your reply, the 35 mpg reading is from the trip comp, i reset it 100 miles ago, will try the filling up to brim tatic and see how i get on.... cheers
  • i30 comfort 61 plate (facelift model)

Pip
There are so many variables that if you get 35 and expected 40 I'd say you have nothing to worry about. That must surely be in the expected range. To do better you probably need to look at changing the way you drive or where you drive and how fast you drive. The car is probably doing its bit. :whistler:

And if your sample is only from 100 miles of driving it won't be very accurate. You need a long term average to get a useful figure - at least a tank I suggest. :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:31:17 by Pip »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for your reply, the 35 mpg reading is from the trip comp, i reset it 100 miles ago, will try the filling up to brim tatic and see how i get on.... cheers

Most that brim their tank to test their fuel use are driving Diesel i30's.

Diesel doesn't expand as much when it gets warm so less likelyhood of fuel spillage.

Don't brim an unleaded vehicle unless you are going on a god drive straight away ((say 30 miles or more) or on a warm day the fuel could expand and leak out causing a fire hazard and cause wastage as well.. (effecting your calculations)

Welcome by the way  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Most that brim their tank to test their fuel use are driving Diesel i30's.

Diesel doesn't expand as much when it gets warm so less likelyhood of fuel spillage.

Don't brim an unleaded vehicle unless you are going on a god drive straight away ((say 30 miles or more) or on a warm day the fuel could expand and leak out causing a fire hazard and cause wastage as well.. (effecting your calculations)

Welcome by the way  :goodjob:

It's a long way to go to church................ :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Yeah: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline B164D

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
I've the 1.6 petrol and have kept a note of mpg since bought new. It varies, being lower in winter, short journeys, fast journeys and coming up to service but over 23000 miles my overall average has been 37.4mpg. I'm a fairly staid driver. Hope that helps.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal