i30 Owners Club

Regular Unleaded Petrol (91 RON) V Premium Unleaded Petrol (95 RON)

sbiggs1 · 35 · 18069

Offline sbiggs1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Vic
Hello i plan to go on a long road trip with my I30 2009 1,.8 litre auto unleaded (eg about 3000 km)  i am wondering which fuel  is better for money for that long distance i have to travel >
Regular Unleaded Petrol  (91 RON) Vs Premium Unleaded Petrol (95 RON)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hello i plan to go on a long road trip with my I30 2009 1,.8 litre auto unleaded (eg about 3000 km)  i am wondering which fuel  is better for money for that long distance i have to travel >
Regular Unleaded Petrol  (91 RON) Vs Premium Unleaded Petrol (95 RON)

There aren't many of us petrol heads in this club...   They all mostly like playing around with OIL (diesel oil).    My PETROL car is coming up to 4yrs old now and has always been fed standard unleaded and I see no adverse effects.   

Your choice tho, if ya wanna splash the cash then I am sure there will be some chemical difference with which folks will justify spending the extra.

Good luck with the trip  :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What is the difference in cost and how far are you planning to go, there and back?

Some say for long uninterupted road trips the premium is worth paying for but if slow, stop, start then keep cash in pocket and treat yourself to a choco bar or two
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sbiggs1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Vic
i am planning to travel about 3000 km lots of highway drive
which fuel is better Re: Regular Unleaded Petrol  (91 RON) V Premium Unleaded Petrol (95 RON)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I have used 95 RON in my 2 litre i30 since the day I bought it.  Only got 12000 km on the clock but runs well on 95 RON.  Before the i30 I had a Hyundai Tucson for 5 years, exactly the same 2 litre engine in it as my current 2011 model i30.  I always put 95 RON in the Tucson and it ran well.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We use 91 octane exclusively in our MY11 CW 2.0 Ltr and it runs beautifully after 23000 kms  :goodjob:

I wouldn't be paying the extra for 95 octane  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
We use 91 octane exclusively in our MY11 CW 2.0 Ltr and it runs beautifully after 23000 kms  :goodjob:

:whsaid:

Same here, why waste money?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
The standard unleaded petrol in the UK is 95 RON and super unleaded is 98 or higher. I've tried the super but it makes no difference in my car.

Though 95 against 91 ? I'd have thought that would make a difference unless the Aussie i30s are tuned to expect the lower octane.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The standard unleaded petrol in the UK is 95 RON and super unleaded is 98 or higher. I've tried the super but it makes no difference in my car.

Though 95 against 91 ? I'd have thought that would make a difference unless the Aussie i30s are tuned to expect the lower octane.

Remember 5☆ leaded

Most, if not all save high performance cars, used 3 ☆ or 4☆ in the days before unleaded.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Remember 5☆ leaded

Most, if not all save high performance cars, used 3 ☆ or 4☆ in the days before unleaded.

I remember it well though never had a car which needed it. I'd sometimes put 5* in my motorbike when I was young and expect it to go faster though (it didn't). It cost a whopping six shillings a gallon in those days.  :lol:

I think my Hyundai has a compression ratio of 9.5:1 which years ago would really need high octane fuel - but better combustion chamber designs mean that it works fine with 95. If I put 91 RON in there I'd expect the timing circuit to detonate the fuel ealier to avoid knocking. :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

It cost a whopping six shillings a gallon in those days.  :lol:

30p (pence) in new money.
Today gallon circa £6.27

When i started driving in 1969 i think it was 3/6d.

Use to get nearly a full tank of juice in my hillman imp for £1.

Ps 1 pint of DD, Double Diamond, was 10d in 1969

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Maybe I got my prices wrong (or petrol cost double round here) coz I got my first motorbike in 1967.   My memory does play tricks though.  :)

I seem to remember that mild was 1s 10d and bitter 2s when I started to visit pubs regularly.  I tended to get mixed which, unsurprisingly, was 1s 11d.  :mrgreen:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I learned to drive in a Hillman Imp! The car with the fire pump engine lol!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&q=hillman+imp+red&revid=1709143874&sa=X&ei=Hi0rUqH7FsfLhAeryoCwAw&ved=0CDgQ1QIoAQ&biw=568&bih=268#biv=i%7C6%3Bd%7C8Mz_f2YmSBsgjM%3A

Mate that was my first car, a 64 Hillman Imp, Green in colour, purchased in Sydney, late 1966.  What a machine, 875cc aluminium engine.  :Shocked:  Rootes Group were the manufacturers from memory.  I traded the Imp in around 1969 for a 66 Holden 'Shaggin Wagon'  The Aussies know what they were, Panel Van mit mattress. :Shocked: :P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:56:01 by Lester »
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

Dazzler, they have not invented 95 RON yet in Tasweiga have they?   Do you have Colour TV yet?
 :whistler: :head_butt:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Dazzler, they have not invented 95 RON yet in Tasweiga have they?   Do you have Colour TV yet?

Once they get electricity it will all come reasonably quickly.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:TutTut: :harhar:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
When I had my previous car, which was a V8 Commodore, I used 98 RON fuel exclusively.  Saying that, the car was tuned for that fuel and ran very well on it.  I did get about 9.5 l/100km combined with it too.  We did try 91 RON once, the car ran like ..... well, it ran poorly.  For us, it was worth the extra money, we would get more power, more mileage and the engine ran better (it didn't ping).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What model v8 erodommoC, which btw I call mine, quite often.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
What model v8 erodommoC, which btw I call mine, quite often.

VY SS. 5.7 litre. 6 speed manual.  Pulled harder than a 15 year old school boy.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@Fatboy

How do you tune that model, for a particular fuel
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Back on topic momentarily, my 2 litre petrol engine has 65,000 klms up and has run exclusively on 91 with no problems.
Returns in the high 6s to mid 7s on a trip.

Once every few months I throw in a bottle of EFI cleaner which costs about $7 from Supercheap Autos.
My wife's Corolla has 80,000 klmsalso on 91 octane fuel.
The better fuel economy is minimal on 95 octane but it costs heaps more per litre.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
@Fatboy

How do you tune that model, for a particular fuel

On a dyno at a Tune Shop.  They remap the ECU to give better power / economy / torque or a mixture of all.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I own a diesel i30 now but before that I always but premium 98 (or 95) in my cars. Never have I put in the rubbish fuel.  You get longer out of your spark plugs and less deposits on the valves.

MY little analogy is the following :  We as humans can survive on McDonalds as our meals but would not be the healthiest and not our full potential. Eat veggies and good meats etc and you will feel much better and perform better. Same with fuel :P

PS my father is a mechanic and has been for all his life and has always sworn by premium!! :)
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline i30TourerGDI

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
For my I30 1.6 GDI, I'm using only 91RON since the owner's manual recommends using grades no higher than this.  It runs sweetly throughout the rev range, and very efficiently, on the cheap juice so I'm very happy to save the $$.

Fuel consumption over long trips typically averages around 5.8 L/100km with a full boot and two adults aboard.  That's cruising at or close to the speed limit (traffic permitting) on Tasmanian highways that have no shortage of hills.  I've seen as low as 5.5 for one recent 330km trip, when heavier traffic kept my speed down to around 90 to 100 for most of the drive.

Mixed highway/urban consumption averages around 6.3 L/100km for a tank.  That's for a 600km highway trip followed by two weeks of 20 minutes a day of city commuting - my typical usage cycle.

I always have "Eco Driving" mode set to "Off".  I found that the "Eco Driving" mode nobles & delays throttle response when accelerating, resulting in me over-compensating by stomping harder on the gas pedal and using more revs than would otherwise be necessary.  Therefore I consistently achieve better fuel economy (and a more responsive drive) with "Eco Driving" set to "Off".
  • i30 Tourer GDI petrol manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:welcum: I see you have been a member since May, but this is your first post  :goodjob:

Great economy, we are also in Tasmania  :happydance: (Devonport)

I got similar or slightly better economy when we had an FD CRDi hatch but the wife's 2.0 Petrol FD CW would be closer to 7.5 LPH is my best guesstimate.

Are you happy with the performance of the 1.6 on hills etc.. Wife is a bit hesitant of going to a smaller engine size if we update her car. Likes "zippy", but she is not so keen on a diesel  :Pout:

Offline i30TourerGDI

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
:welcum: I see you have been a member since May, but this is your first post  :goodjob:

Great economy, we are also in Tasmania  :happydance: (Devonport)

I got similar or slightly better economy when we had an FD CRDi hatch but the wife's 2.0 Petrol FD CW would be closer to 7.5 LPH is my best guesstimate.

Are you happy with the performance of the 1.6 on hills etc.. Wife is a bit hesitant of going to a smaller engine size if we update her car. Likes "zippy", but she is not so keen on a diesel  :Pout:
Love the North West Dazzler, we spend a lot of time up there.  Have family in Devonport, hence the regular trips.

Re hills, with a full boot and two adults onboard, heading north over Spring Hill and Constitution Hill in 6th gear she'll gradually bog down & lose speed, but in 5th hear will easily hold the speed limit without mashing the accelerator pedal.  Same on the climb past Deloraine heading west.  All other hills on the Midlands and Bass Highways are comfortably dispatched in top gear with no loss of speed.

While she certainly doesn't have the low down grunt of a diesel or large petrol engine, even at low revs the 1.6 is always smooth and never pings or protests.   However, rapid acceleration is available if you don't mind dropping down a couple of gears, and it will happily spin out to 7000 RPM before you know it.   The 1.6 GDI is a super quiet, efficient, low friction engine that's at its best out on the open road, gobbling up the miles and returning turbo diesel like economy without the extra weight, cost and complication of a diesel.   The Gasoline Direct Injection and low friction coatings are secrets to this very sophisticated and efficient little engine.  Don't be misled by the small size - its performance can surprise.

All of the above assumes "Eco Driving" mode is set to "Off" which in my experience delivers better economy anyway!!

I chose the wagon over the hatch because of the extra load carrying capacity, superior rear suspension (multi-link vs torsion beam) and alloy wheels standard on the base model.  The fact that the petrol versions comes only in 1.6L has proved not to be problem and I'm loving the unexpected fuel efficiency.
  • i30 Tourer GDI petrol manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:brilliant: Thanks for that, The wife loves her CW which is 3 years old in January. She says if I upgrade her it has to be another i30 (because of her Rego plates EYE030) so maybe in another year we will get her to try a Petrol Tourer (we both like the styling and extra room of the wagon)

Send me a PM if you would like to drop in for a Cuppa when you are in Devonport.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

(because of her Rego plates EYE030)

Still waiting on the royalities

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
Well I would always put premium in my cars. The added cost to a full tank would be no more than $5 and for most people a weekly addition to their normal standard unleaded would be like $2.... Not much more at all. I find like many the more perky acceleration and the additional mileage to be worth it.

My analogy regarding fuel is this:  "We humans can survive on McDonalds (standard unleaded) for breakfast, lunch and dinner but we wouldn't feel our best and perform the best. Fresh veggies and water (premium unleaded) will make us run faster and feel great as well as keeping our bodies cleaner inside longer."
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal