LG’s super-slim 1mm ‘wallpaper’ TV sticks to the wall using just magnets

eye30 · 18 · 2424

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How much thinner can TVs get? Just 1mm, according to LG, which has been showing off an ultra-thin 55-inch television so light and flexible that it can be peeled onto a wall and held in place with magnets.

LG and Samsung have released high-end sets (main pic). Prices start at around £2,000 for the 55-inch LG 55EC03V Smart 3D rising to around £6,000 for the 65-inch LG 65EC970V OLED 4K TV.

:link: LG?s super-slim 1mm ?wallpaper? TV sticks to the wall using just magnets - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Best thing about this is it makes more conventional TVs cheaper. I saw a Philips UHD 65" TV in Launceston the other day for only $2587! Was so tempted to put it in the lounge!  :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I might have to start putting away some extra pennies for when those go mainstream :goodjob2:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
How do magnets stick to house walls which are mainly brick/wood/ plaster

Perhaps you stick the magnets on with glue.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Quoted from the link ( A magnetic mount is attached to a wall and the TV goes on top, peel off the TV to take it down. )

So I guess the mount is glued or screwed on, it might even attach with 3M strips :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was more interested with how you get power to it without ugly cords.. Could it be wirelessly powered? Anything is possible these days!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Can't imagine the sound quality being very good....  :undecided:

Good point! :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Could it be that the tuner and audio are contained in a different enclosure, to preserve sound quality and function. It would need ports for usb, lan etc, for it to be a smart tv.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Could it be that the tuner and audio are contained in a different enclosure, to preserve sound quality and function. It would need ports for usb, lan etc, for it to be a smart tv.

Another good point Phil, that would make sense (with just a discreet Ribbon connection to the main panel) :cool:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

Quoted from the link ( A magnetic mount is attached to a wall and the TV goes on top, peel off the TV to take it down. )

So I guess the mount is glued or screwed on, it might even attach with 3M strips :undecided:

And the mount is 3 inches thick ? Something has to accomadate the power supply, USB, HDMI, Optical...........
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

And the mount is 3 inches thick ? Something has to accomadate the power supply, USB, HDMI, Optical...........
As mentioned there the technology is only a concept at this point, power maybe supplied via near field technology similar to charge pads...to early to say at this point :Dunno:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'd speculate that the thinness is preserved by allowing the screen to do nothing but video, with the rest of the functions 'off-board' as mentioned. The screen might be able to handle the video rate as a bluetooth data stream, and we know a bluetooth module is miniscule. I'd still expect some direct power connection but perhaps as lightweight as the one on our phone chargers, or as a flat ribbon to spread the current across finer wiring. Time will tell. :p
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'd speculate that the thinness is preserved by allowing the screen to do nothing but video, with the rest of the functions 'off-board' as mentioned. The screen might be able to handle the video rate as a bluetooth data stream, and we know a bluetooth module is miniscule. I'd still expect some direct power connection but perhaps as lightweight as the one on our phone chargers, or as a flat ribbon to spread the current across finer wiring. Time will tell. :p

Bluetooth, for THAT many oled's  :eek:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Bluetooth, for THAT many oled's  :eek:
Dunno, Phil, I didn't Google Bluetooth data rates. If not enough perhaps a higher data rate system like WiFi. The modules would be just as small and highly LAN compatible. Would that do the data rates?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AFAIK, Bluetooth has difficulty with high def audio, so I suspect Vireo would be out of the question. On ebay realtech wifi units are pretty small devices and should do the trick, just depends on what other devices are required to make it all happen. I'm sure there's someone here who knows how it all works, not me though.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
AFAIK, Bluetooth has difficulty with high def audio, so I suspect Vireo would be out of the question. On ebay realtech wifi units are pretty small devices and should do the trick, just depends on what other devices are required to make it all happen. I'm sure there's someone here who knows how it all works, not me though.

Bluetooth has difficulty which just about any connection which is why it's used for printers and phones and such. Anything needing through put and you end up with WIFI, and preferably 5MHz 'a'.

Even Netflix has the occasional hiccup with video streams on a wired network.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal