First snow for this i30

accim · 10 · 2811

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Okay, so this was the first snow for this season. Nothing special, but it was nice seeing it. Some parts of Slovenia had quite some problems today, but here - so far so good.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
We had first snow fall yesterday morning, fortunately the temperature didn't fall that much to form an ice on the roads. Anyway I when I woke up at 12 I hardly could believe my eyes once looking out over the football field in front of my home as it was white, whereas the snow around it had melted.  :happydance:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is the snow early this year?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
It's early here. But there isn't that much snow now anymore.. At the moment, it's around 1°C - 2°C and it's raining. So ideal conditions for some ice  :mrgreen: Hate when the weather is like that.

The thing is, that most vehicles don't have winter tires mounted on their cars (including me), because we usually mount them in November - all vehicles must have winter tires from 15th Nov to 15th March, but I usually put them on between 1st-5th Nov.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

The thing is, that most vehicles don't have winter tires mounted on their cars (including me)
neither have I  :D

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Very interesting Accim.. JUst to travel round with you for a few minutes even in unpleasant weather shows us what your place is like, very nice.   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks very pretty accim for want of a better word... :goodjob:  I've only driven in light falling snow probably twice in my (almost) 55 years  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks very pretty accim for want of a better word... :goodjob:  I've only driven in light falling snow probably twice in my (almost) 55 years  :winker:
I've driven in it a few times - in the New England Tableland, the Blue Mountains and parts of the Snowy Mountains.
All very pretty but you have to be careful on normal tyres.
I used snow chains once, to drive up Ohau (pron. "O-how) a ski resort in NZ. Frightening as we got into a white out towards the top with no fencing on the side of the road. Even worse going down.
Nice area you live in accim. :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I've driven in it a few times - in the New England Tableland, the Blue Mountains and parts of the Snowy Mountains.
All very pretty but you have to be careful on normal tyres.
I used snow chains once, to drive up Ohau (pron. "O-how) a ski resort in NZ. Frightening as we got into a white out towards the top with no fencing on the side of the road. Even worse going down.
Nice area you live in accim. :goodjob2:

Thanks for the comments. Well that's exactly the problem I have - last km to my house is very tricky in winter (going uphill, few nasty curves..). Especially when driving in daylight, where you can't see the lights from car going up/down. I plan on filming few videos, when real snow starts and you'll see what I'm talking about. The problem is also the road, which is very narrow and in some areas, when going uphill/downhill, there is no fence but there is a 5 m "gap" below the road. Sometimes, you go up and all of the sudden there's a car going towards you from the other direction.. Now..beause the road is sometimes poorly "cleaned" and the cars going down don't use the 1st gear without braking and go downhill in 2nd gear (and brake hard in case they see a car, which is a big mistake), you might face a car, sliding uncontrolled directly into you (when you are going up) because they just can't stop. It happened to me few times.. Luckily everything was okay and even if we hit it, the damage wouldn't be severe, but still.. I stopped the car in the middle of the hill, quickly put in reverse and go back.. But it's not fun as the visibility is poor, you can hardly see where the road is and you can't stop your car, once you start to reverse.

But in cases like that, even the 4x4 doesn't doo you good. The 4x4 is great for climbing, but can be sometimes even worse when going downhill, because they are usually much heavier. Last year, I had some "fun" with my fathers Santa Fe, which had a bit worn tires.. No problems going uphill in the snow, but there were quite some problems, when going downhill.. You just can't stop it :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal