Paint blending - Comments/Advice please

eye30 · 52 · 13974

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've put this here rather than part of my other thread re car accident...

Ok so I may be getting car back tomorrow but I've got to ask a few questions.

I've been told that the new wing, bonnet and bumper have been resprayed but have now told me that they have "blended" in the wing which wasn't damaged.

Is "blending" an acceptable method?

What should I be looking for to ensure that the paint is correct on all the car i.e how can I ensure that the original back/side are the same as the wings/bonnet/bumper?

What should I be looking for to ensure the paintwork has been done correctly?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nothing better than good old eyeballing mate.

If it looks good to you, it'll look good to anyone.

And vice-versa.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
About 40 years ago I had some "blending" done. As far as I could tell it was only done because the paint colour did not match. Look critically at the result. These days there is no excuse for mismatched paint and I'd suspect the guy might have "mixed his own" from what he already had.

As said though, if you can't see it (assuming you have a good eye) then it's done well enough.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I had some dent and paint repairs done on my drive by a mobile guy. I posted a thread on here about it probably a year ago.

He removed a dent from over the wheel arch and sprayed part of the front bumper and part of the side panel - blending into the existing paint. It was impossible to see any difference in the repaired area then - and is still impossible to see it now.

My car is silver - not the easiest of colours to match. The guy ignored the Hyundai paint code and instead used a hand held paint scanner on the existing paint to take a colour reading. He then plugged it into a laptop which gave him some pigment data to mix a small quantity of paint into a metallic base paint. He told me that he used about 6 different metallic base paints to suit different cars. He was absolutely spot on first time.

My wifes i10 was repaired at the same time (I bumped her car with mine - dont ask!!!) which is also siver and he was just as successful with hers. We thought our cars were exactly the same colour - they look as though they are when parked side-by-side - but he had to use a quite different pigment blend on hers.

So if a man-in-a-van can get it right - it makes you wonder why a proper body shop has made such a cack of your car.

I think you need to take a good look at the car - outside on a bright day - from every angle to check the gloss and colour match. Try and park well away from any strong coloured adjacent items that would introduce off-putting reflections. Run your hand lightly over the new paint and into the old to see if there is any marked difference - and run your hand over all adjacent surfaces to detect any slight roughness caused by over-spray. Don't forget the bonnet and roof.

Finally - do a thorough check to make sure all parts they have removed or replaced are attached properly and the shut lines are correct and in line.

I sincerley hope you find that all is well - good luck - I will cross my fingers for you
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 15:01:11 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad

Is "blending" an acceptable method?

Is your car covered by the Hy 10 year paint warranty? If so I suspect it's not acceptable for that. If it's not then I doubt it matters as long as it looks ok.
  • Ice Blue Petrol 1.4 Comfort Oct 11

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You've had some great replies there Lester (pretty much covers it)

It is normal practice to blend unless they are doing the whole car .. There is a real skill to getting the texture, colour and mica content (for want of a better word) right but it will be obvious to the eye (like it was before) if it is not a good job...

Best of luck (I am not confident sorry - on their past performance)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Good luck eye30, hope this is the end of the saga for you.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

(I am not confident sorry - on their past performance)  :confused:

Nor am I but given the issues I've had with this car I'm hopeful that they have got it right at last.
Still waiting for the phone call to say the badges have arrived/fitted and ready to pick up.

Thanks to all who have replied and I'll be taking on board all that has been said.

To be continued.............................

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Still waiting for the phone call to say the badges have arrived/fitted and ready to pick up.

You would have thought after all the messing about that they would have got the badges sooner - sounds like such a lame excuse to delay you picking it up. Perhaps they have just seen this forum and have rushed out to check for over-spray or something... :whistler:

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

You would have thought after all the messing about that they would have got the badges sooner - sounds like such a lame excuse to delay you picking it up. Perhaps they have just seen this forum and have rushed out to check for over-spray or something... :whistler:

Picking up tomorrow am, Saturday.

Would have liked to have picked the car up today as it was sunny so I could have checked the paint out.

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
I agree with Alanho.

If a spray painter doesn't have a scanner (or better known as a paint spectrometer), then they are just guessing if they don't apply paint coded. Blending is an old way of doing a spray job and most modern panelbeaters will only do this when a code is not available. (I experianced this recently when trying to get some work done on my motorbike)

Note, old paint is harder to match, due to fade. Plastic is hard to match because a spectrometer can't read on plastic. A good spray painter can get around this.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Picking up tomorrow am, Saturday.

Would have liked to have picked the car up today as it was sunny so I could have checked the paint out.

Good luck   ............................................   

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :whsaid:

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad
Fingers crossed ...  :sweating:
  • Ice Blue Petrol 1.4 Comfort Oct 11

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

We are all on count down - the STOP PRESS news should arrive soon................... :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Are we all holding our breaths? (& no, I don't have a lithsp).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well anticipated db08 & yes I am, for you.   :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Lester must have gone for the newspaper on his way back from the so-called "repairers"  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
C'mon Lester we're all on the edge of our seats here at the club ??????????

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Lester must have gone for the newspaper on his way back from the so-called "repairers"  :whistler:

Buhahahaha :rofl:

Cruel, but probably correct :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As long as it wasn't before the "repairers".  :beer:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok picked the car up and yes it looks as if they have got the paint correct this time.  The sun came out while I was at the repairers and this time the paint does have flexs in it and it does match the rest of the car BUT...................

Called at the Hy dealers on the way home and the techi had a good look for me.

He pointed out 3 things that I need to have a word about.  Yes only 3 .......phew

1 is minor and may have to leave as it is but he did say the other 2 - gap around the light, which I've mentioned on numerous occasions, where it meets the grill and the gap between the bonnet and grill didn't look quite right. 
In his opinion the bumper needs to be "lifted" and this would hopefully sort these 2 out.

Edit: Just checked the bonnet to grill gap against the tollerance chart I was provided with last time.  The gap is greater than the tollerance shown.

So roll on Monday........................

While at the Hy dealer I checked out the new i30.

It does look better in the flesh.  Had a good look at one and yes Hy have raised their game with this car.

Bit disappointed that the base model - Classic - has steel wheels not the alloys.
As the car isn't launched until Monday I couldn't have a test drive but they are having an open weekend next Saturday/Sunday so if I'm free I'll be down for a test drive.  If I can't make these day the car is going in for a replacement rear window the following week so I'll arrange one then.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 16:54:06 by eye30 »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

At least they got the paint right - but sorry you are still not finished with this bodyshop.

Our local Hyundai dealership had their open week-end today and tomorrow. I currently have the 1.6 CRDi Active to try out and either later today or tomorrow I will have use of the 1.4 petrol Classic for comparison. Unfortunately they don't have any Style demo cars at present so I have not been able to try the car with 16" rims (YET). Until I do - I cannot make an informed decision on cabin noise.

I am sure you will enjoy a test drive and recognise how much more refined the car is.

More anon
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 21:26:25 by AlanHo »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm glad the major part (paint) is all fixed now.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i don't know wether to congratulate you on the cars repairs or not Lester,the saga continues.  :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I agree with Alanho.

If a spray painter doesn't have a scanner (or better known as a paint spectrometer), then they are just guessing if they don't apply paint coded. Blending is an old way of doing a spray job and most modern panelbeaters will only do this when a code is not available. (I experianced this recently when trying to get some work done on my motorbike)

Note, old paint is harder to match, due to fade. Plastic is hard to match because a spectrometer can't read on plastic. A good spray painter can get around this.

I am going to disagree a little bit here, "blending" is still used by modern paints shops, perhaps the definition of it has changed?

In my opinion blending is what they do to a panel which is not getting fully sprayed and it is like a flick of the gun towards the area which is not getting painted which takes away the obvious line between the newly painted area and the original area.  The flick takes the paint "thickness" away, so you get an even coat on the repaired area, lightening towards the original area thereby blending the two areas together.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Update:

Insurance co rang today and asked whether I was happy.

Guess the answer......

They are making arrangements for an assessor to come to the house to review the job.

Just another little problem has developed which would cause the car to fail an MOT - the water jet on the drivers side does not reach the window.  the passenger side isn't to good either but it does sort of get as far as the window.  Holes clear and it looks as if the jet is hiting the edge of the bonnet.  The jets are not adjustable so I wonder how this will be sorted.

PS  while they were on I requested and lodged a formal complaint. 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

oooh Noooo - what a saga. It would make a good TV series.

So sorry to read of the ongoing story - hopefully the assessor is from independent loss adjusters who can make an unbiased judgement. I assume you have a detailed paper trail of all the events to show him or her - so that he or she appreciates all that has happened.

In the interests of compliance with the sex discrimination, Age discimination, Race Discrimination etc acts, I should point out that my reference to him or her is not intended to show gender preference because of the order in which they are stated. It matters not whether it is a big breasted young black female jewish gay blonde or a flat chested old white male christian straight person who comes - or indeed any permutaion of the above qualities, provided they find in favour of eye30.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hopefully this guy will have the clout to get things sorted once and for all.....    you deserve punative damages for this lot. <sigh>

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal