i30 Owners Club

Thorough detail job

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
I didn't quite know where to post this as the 'Looking after your car section" doesn't have a general category.

Every time I clean Arya inside and out, I think is there a more efficient and easier way to do it where one process doesn't affect another process  in an adverse way, and so your left with a 'show room' finish to be proud of.

Today I gave Arya a detailing job that I think I've finally got the order of processes right to minimise time. The entire job took 1 1/2 hours. Here's what I did in order. Inside first in these orders.

I used my Stihl water blaster with a LOW PRESSURE car cleaning dispenser attachment.

Note that I use a car cleaning soap (not dish washing soap) that does not contain wax!! This stuff can leave spotting and makes the job hard. I use Mother California Gold or Meguiars neutral car wash.

1) Open all doors and boot. Detail inner doors, plastic trims, dash, consoles, steering wheel hub etc with Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer. Spray on the microfibre cloth, not the switches! Excess fluid can causes harm to contacts etc.

2) Remove rugs and vacuum them outside. Vacuum floors and seat stitching. Put rugs back.

3) Either use Meguiars interior detailer cleaner on the leather if its a quick wipe down (the leather is fully sealed and coated with a vinyl type seal so it won't harm the leather), or if it makes you feel better, condition the leather. I use Meguiars Gold Class Leather Conditioner a few times a year. Because the leather is sealed, I'm not sure it's even doing anything but I feel good about it  :)

4) With the microfibre used in step 1) clean the door frames including boot, door seals, and bottom of the inner doors with warm soapy water.

5) Threat the tyres with Wet Look or tyre shine. This seals the tyres prior to them getting wet. If the tyres are dirty, unfortunately you'll have to clean them and wait until they're dry before this step.

6) Using a mag cleaning mitten, wash the mags (Alloy wheels for those who don't know what a mag is) with hot soapy water. If you do this first, your not grovelling around on a wet driveway.

7) Wet the car. I use the Stihl waster blaster with LOW PRESSURE dispenser which soaps the car really well. Using the two bucket method (Clean soapy water in one and hot water rinse in the other to shake grit off the microfibre mitten), clean the car from the roof moving down. Leave the skirting, mud flaps and bumper skirts last as they contain the worst grit risk to the paint finish.

8) Hose off the soap residue. Here's a great trick I found to get rid of all water spotting. Using a liquid soap dispenser on hose or LOW PRESSURE water blaster, rinse the car down with a mixture of 1 part Exterior Detailer and 3 parts water (I use Turtle ICE spray detailer).

9) Shammy the liquid off the roof and window pillars then with a window Squeegee, wipe all water off all windows. I use a Karcher window vacuum cleaner but even the shammy will work fine as the detailer mixture leaves a spotless finish. Then shammy the rest of the car. I've used real leather shammy's and a Meguiars synthetic shammy and sadly the synthetic left the real one for dead performance wise.

10) At this point the car will look show room due to the detailer used in the rinse, but you can go one step further. I like to polish the car down with microfibre mitten and Mequiars Ultimate Quik Wax. Even though it's not a real paste wax, it does last long enough between weekly or fortnightly washes. I'd still do a proper paste wax every three to six months.

11) An additional process that can be carried out is internal window cleaning but I find it very difficult and haven't found a product that doesn't streak yet.

Heres some quick photos....sorry about the quality.

• 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks good :goodjob:
This is what I'm using on my wheels now http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Black-Magic-Foaming-Wheel-Cleaner-453mL.aspx?pid=339074&menuFrom=1021764#Recommendations and for tyres http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Black-Magic-Tyre-Wet-Foam-510g.aspx?pid=339071&menuFrom=1021764#Recommendations it doesn't get any easier...spray it on and hose it off for the wheel cleaner, tyre foam you just spray it on and walk away :)

Windows and dash I find are easiest with the Meguiars wipes, they both clean and protect in one with no spraying or droplets to run into your electrics.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:02:47 by CraigB »

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Thanks Craig, I've tried the mag cleaner on another car and it was great. Do you reckon its safe on the clear coat? I'll try the wheel cleaner and wipes. Do they work well on glass?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah it's safe for all wheels ( non acid ) and you don't have to wipe anything, just hose it off when washing the car.
The wipes work great...the dash wipes aren't oily and deepen the colour of all the plastics and the glass wipes don't leave streaks and can leave the container in the glove box to use when ever needed.

The tyre foam is simply amazing, as I mentioned you just spray it on and walk away :) I'll usually wipe them dry after I've finished washing the car just to get any excess off so it doesn't flick up on the guards.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Meguires for the win. Im very pleased with their products, definately worth the extra coin.

I'll also second the tyre foam, i dont use anything else for tyres.

Picture of how good the meguires polish worked on my 19yr old Jeep bonnet.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Yeah it's safe for all wheels ( non acid ) and you don't have to wipe anything, just hose it off when washing the car.
The wipes work great...the dash wipes aren't oily and deepen the colour of all the plastics and the glass wipes don't leave streaks and can leave the container in the glove box to use when ever needed.

The tyre foam is simply amazing, as I mentioned you just spray it on and walk away :) I'll usually wipe them dry after I've finished washing the car just to get any excess off so it doesn't flick up on the guards.

Excellent Craig, SOLD i'll go and get these products on Thursday!

Nice Tim, yes I love Meguiars products. I've checked out many vids on YT and Meguiars seems to get lots of praise. Your right, it does cost a bit more but well worth it.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I was feeling guilty about leaving the wife's car outside for 3 weeks while I sold mine so.....

One coat chemical Guys Ez-Creme, 2 coats Jetseal and.....

Not bad I think......Now if the kids would just go to bed, I could have a well deserved beer  :cool:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It would want to  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :judges: I must use my clay bar kit and some jetseal (I still have enough to do at least one car)  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
:judges: I must use my clay bar kit and some jetseal (I still have enough to do at least one car)  :happydance:

Why not do a good deed and just pick a car at random? 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've had my claybar kit for a month now and all I've done with it so far is build a model of Gromit :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
He's retired he has plenty of time....

Random acts of polish.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
He's retired he has plenty of time....

Random acts of polish.....

But I go walk about when the kids are here (and when they are not I try to relax)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal