i30 Owners Club

Diesel additives.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hello fellow club members, and what a wise bunch you are. :lol:
That is why I am posting this question to you all.
I am not at all technically minded but many on this site are.
Is it a good idea to add diesel additives to your fuel.
I have seen many such items on the shelves that act as injector cleaners. They also claim in many instances to increase boost and performance and improve fuel economy. Is there truth in their claims and are they worth the money?
I have never used any such additives in petrol cars I have owned. I have also never owned a diesel vehicle till now so am learning from scratch.
Thanks

Oggie
My personal opinion is that you should take the claims with a pinch of salt. If you have an issue with the engine an injector cleaner might be of some assistance, but otherwise, you are unlikely to see any real benefit. On the other hand, the additives rarely cause any problems.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Oggie,
With an answer like that, you should be in politics :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In UK Shell are offering V Power diesel at, I think 8p per litre more.  

Any other UK members tried this?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I've had a friend's Dad tell me to use an injector cleaner, and he's been using it in Landcruisers for 20 years, towing caravans all over the country - hasnt needed the injectors serviced yet.. :?

Oggie
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
Oggie,
With an answer like that, you should be in politics :lol:

:D I have to deal with Department Directors daily. You gotta learn to cover your *rse!

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi EymaTeapot,

Good quality Diesel fuel should look after a modern CR diesel engine assuming that is what we can obtain at the pump. :roll:   Australia's upcoming low sulphur diesel will need something to aid "lubricity" to look after the CR Injectors. If a little Bio Diesel (2%) is added by the distribution chain all will be well. (That addition may be automatic in Australia as it is in many other countries.)

The premium Diesels from BP and Shell do not need anything extra added.  Are they available in your part of the world? BP's offering might be but I have not seen anything of Shell's premium diesel in Australia. ( A blend with GTL fuel so you seem to get most of the advantages of adding LPG) The extra cost of the premium fuels is an issue for many including me.

In the UK I use "Millers Power Sport 4" additive with the cheaper "Supermarket" fuel as I cannot obtain Shell's premium fuel locally. Details here http://www.millersoils-online.co.uk/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm That combination is cheaper than the premium fuel and delivers a bit of a performance boost and a small fuel consumption improvement for me.

As Lakes was interested in my rambling about the product in an earlier post I emailed Millers Oils UK about Australian sales some months ago. At that point Millers were in discussions with an Australian distributor. It might be worth emailing them to see if it is available in Australia now, should you wish to try it.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for the advice Bunyip.
I have not seen premium diesel offered anywhere in Canberra, but have read from some interstate members that they have been using it.
I may have a go with a additive, like Oggie said, its not likely to do any harm :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thanks Bunyip, i'll have to look into that.
Eyma i have been useing Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel, Thumper said he uses it too so must be able to buy it in ACT.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal