i30 Owners Club

Better than current model civic

Joel · 11 · 4185

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
I just thought I would mention some improvements since moving from a current shape (2007) Honda Civic to the Hyundai i30 cw diesel.

- With the civic if you were going down hill slowly and went over a pothole (bad local streets around me) the ABS would kick in and shudder, very very annoying, but no false starts for the ABS in the i30.

- Cruise control doesn't surge at low speeds. There are a few 40kmh school zones on my way to work and it is hard not to speed. So I would set my cruise control at 45kmh as I cruise through the scool zone, that works on my diesel i30, but on the Civic it caused constant surging and very poor speed management.

- Better visibility, the civic had the worst A pillar layout in any car I have ever owned..

- Better fuel economy and maintained power when you turn the Air-con on, the civic you could feel the power loss as you turned the AC on (diesel I guess helps that?)

- I haven't scraped the underside of the front bumper once yet... LMAO

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice feedback Joel..That says a lot as the Civic is a pretty good vehicle.. I talked one of my m8s into buying one in 07 (as it was the best car in its class in my opinion.. they were pretty stylish at the time, economical and reliable) It was on my short list...

The Irony is that I then turned around in early 2008 and bought an i30 CRDi SLX which surprised my friend (they weren't available when he bought the Civic) He could see why when I took him for a spin  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Yeah at the time the civic was the best option IMO (hence I bought one)..   :lol:

Unfortunately I bought mine before the i30 came out, so never got a chance to try the i30 diesel first.. 

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

- Better visibility, the civic had the worst A pillar layout in any car I have ever owned..

considering the i30's isn't that great that must be saying something!  :D
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I found the Civic one worse..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

snowcherry he is talking about the diesel not the petrol.
on paper the i30 petrol looks about same as civic ( power & Torque )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I found the Civic one worse..

I think it is the steep angle of the A pillar in the Civic that is the problem (even with that little window it makes the blind spot pretty wide)

My Camry Hybrid is not much better and it has big mirrors which also block the view (Now I am aware of it I should be ok though) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

The little window was pretty useless  :lol:

The only thing the Civic, for me, really has over the i30 is the 5 speed gear box, in the diesel I can excuse it, but in the petrol I think that is a problem for Hyundai that I hope they rectify.. (Ohh and a few aesthetic things, but they are the first things you forget)...

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
I like the Civic and considered one along with a few other cars in the so called C-segment, so it's good to hear that the i30 compares favourably. The current shape was very futuristic looking when it first came out but dare I say it is starting to look a bit dated, perhaps a victim of its own success as there are lots around.

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Yeah I loved the look of it inside and out (still do), but just general drivability (the practical stuff) I think my i30 cw diesel is actually a better car..

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
gosh that little window sure is odd! and yes it does look steep.
i have issues with the i30's visibility at times, not sure how i'd go with that one

pssst lakes - twas only comparing the A pillar - not the engine specs  :wink:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal