i30 Owners Club

Door Lock and Electric Mirror Switches

AusJReid · 32 · 10058

Offline AusJReid

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melville
I am about to take the car in for it's 1 month inspection; but thought I would ask owners about this first ... can anyone tell me if the these switches illuminate (the ones on the drivers door). I am having to turn on the interior light to find any of these switches at night; the window controls just under these light up just fine. Thanks.
  • 2013 i30 Elite

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just the window controls on mine.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Just window controls here. Bit lame the mirror fold, mirror control, mirror and door locks don't illuminate :(
  • MY12 GD i30 Elite in Santorini Blue

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Surely you don't expect every single control or button in a car to be illuminated?

It would be lit up like a Christmas tree.....  :eek:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Surely you don't expect every single control or button in a car to be illuminated?

It would be lit up like a Christmas tree.....  :eek:

To much bloody light in mine now of a night time,without more things lighting up,why would you need these items to light up anyhow,I adjusted my mirrors when we got our two and haven't touched em since,as for the folding mirror thing,all I can say is why do you need to fold them,if you have to fold your mirrors to fit in anywhere,how the heck do you get out of the car.

AusJReid,your car sounds normal to me,beleive me if I could work out a way to just havea dim light in the speedo and tmp gauge and black everything else out I would,at night I want the lights on the outside to be the most effective light on the car not being blinded by the interior lights,again your car sound like it is doing all the right things interior light wise.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
The door lock/unlock would be handy, particularly when you're letting passengers in or out at night time bu agree with the others not needin to be lit.

You can always turn the brightness down ;)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
deringer
Yes already have the lights dimmed,I also black out the radio when driving at night,as for the door lock switch,until the car gets to where I'm going no one gets out  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The door lock/unlock would be handy,

Mine is just below the radio and when activated there is a small green light.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Yes I would.

All controls/contacts should be just as easy to find/locate when dark, as when daylight.

This is one of my don't likes about Hyundai. Being used to VW/Skoda products where all controls/contacts are illuminated, this is disappointing.

The headlight height adjustment knob is not illuminated, thus I cant see how the lights are adjusted. This is a feature I use when towing the caravan. Sometimes I forget to adjust when coming home. Would be nice to be able to read that lever at night,as that's usually when I find out it's not at the correct setting.

Even more disappointing to find out that this is not even in place in the new GD i30.. :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Ooups, didn't see it was your first post, AusJReid

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new car.. :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Yes I would.

All controls/contacts should be just as easy to find/locate when dark, as when daylight.

This is one of my don't likes about Hyundai. Being used to VW/Skoda products where all controls/contacts are illuminated, this is disappointing.

The headlight height adjustment knob is not illuminated, thus I cant see how the lights are adjusted. This is a feature I use when towing the caravan. Sometimes I forget to adjust when coming home. Would be nice to be able to read that lever at night,as that's usually when I find out it's not at the correct setting.

Even more disappointing to find out that this is not even in place in the new GD i30.. :disapp:

Geez Asterix, perhaps you should drive with the interior light on at night...  :winker:  :lol:

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
The door lock/unlock would be handy,

Mine is just below the radio and when activated there is a small green light.

Interesting. The door lock/unlock rocker is on the door above the window switches in my car - perhaps a difference between UK and AU models?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I agree with Asterix, all should be lit.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hey Phil, you'll be strappin' an LED on the old fella next so you can find it when you need to pee...  :lol:

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hey Phil, you'll be strappin' an LED on the old fella next so you can find it when you need to pee...  :lol:

Now, now. I think it's a bit lame that they have so many LEDs and yet left them out in sensible places. The wiper and indicator sticks could use some, maybe even more so than the steering wheel controls. At least those have raised nibs so you know where your hands are without looking.

Turn on ALL Of the LEDs!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Now, if I could only get down to 24 Hz  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Why stop there....perhaps we could have LED's on the clutch, brake and accelerator too!

Oh, and what about the seatbelt and buckle as well?.... :whistler:

Fair dinkum, whatever happened to just knowing where the controls and switches are and being able to put your hand (or foot) straight to it without even having to look?  :head_butt:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I guess it's just a help for a driver who is unfamiliar with the controls.

After a while, it does become second nature, however it's not done in aircraft cockpits...... click,,,,, "was that the master fuel switch".... "oops sorry, I meant the windscreen wipers."  :p

ouri30

Oh nah, I can't go there.  :censored:  My wife would look like a Xmas tree.  :laughter:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :blubber:

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece
I have just install illumination at windows lock switch and door lock switch.
It is easier than i thought!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 :welcome:

well, i think its a safety ??  feature in a way, as you should keep eyes on road not your door, get used to where switches are & go by feel.
but i must say i wish the speedo was illuminated all the time as hard to read  when lights turned off. i think they fixed this with GD, as my fathers new Elantra has speedo illuminated & easy to read lights on or off.

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I am about to take the car in for it's 1 month inspection; but thought I would ask owners about this first ... can anyone tell me if the these switches illuminate (the ones on the drivers door). I am having to turn on the interior light to find any of these switches at night; the window controls just under these light up just fine. Thanks.
AusJReid,welcome to the forum.

The mirror fold in/fold out switch on my car doesn't illuminate which I think is a bit odd when most other switches do. it is a nuisance at night.

I always fold my mirrors in where there is a possibility people could walk between my car and the one next to it and may bump the mirrors or perhaps even try to fold them in to get a shopping trolley past, and also when I need to park on a narrow road.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcome:

well, i think its a safety ??  feature in a way, as you should keep eyes on road not your door, get used to where switches are & go by feel.
but i must say i wish the speedo was illuminated all the time as hard to read  when lights turned off. i think they fixed this with GD, as my fathers new Elantra has speedo illuminated & easy to read lights on or off.

:whsaid: But nice mod all the same .. the hard/brave bit would be pulling switches out in the first place! :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@nikitas i30,

Can you tell us the procedure for removing the switches from the door, please.  :)

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece

The windows switch is very beautiful,the door switch has low light but it is better than no light.
I will try to fix it,this swich has no space for the light led.

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece
@nikitas i30,

Can you tell us the procedure for removing the switches from the door, please.  :)

You must remove the door card
Removing the Door Card (front left) - Photo Guide..
Dont' forget to remove the little speaker

And unscrew all the screws of the arm rest,it's about 20 screws
Take in your hands the arm rest and unscrew the windows switches control and the mirror controller.
It is no more than 10 minutes of work.
open the controller,the difficult is this,the door lock switch has no place for led,so i drill it to pass the led legs.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :cool!: :Agoodpost:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
I agree with Nikita, I have had my car for over a year now and I will more then often I will be dropping someone off or picking them up at night (and of course the doors auto lock themselves when you drive) so I have to try and find the unlock button it is very annoying.

Funny enough I had the door switch pulled apart the other week (for a different project) and I noticed that the buttons are transparent and put an led under it to see if it would light up, I didn't want to get distracted with it at the time but I will defiantly be giving it a go now that I know it can be done!

Good work and thanks!
  • Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal