i30 Owners Club

Silver paint peeling on 2012 i30 air con knobs - suggestions?

Offline Ryan79

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi there,

I purchased a 2012 i30 back in July. Everything was great on it (just lacked a boot cover, which I got a replacement for from Hyundai), but noticed that the silver paint surrounding the top and bottom air conditioner knobs peels off quite easily - often just by touching it.

When I have looked at used parts on eBay it appears to be a common issue (I have only seen a picture of one where the silver is all intact).

Below is an image of my knobs. Do you guys have any suggestions in terms of the best way to go to repair it? I feel like if I get replacements they will just peel as well. Is there a certain type of paint I could use? Perhaps take both knobs off and hand paint them?

Really want to sort this out! My OCD hates it, haha.

Thank you in advance.

• Hyundai 2012 Sky Blue i30 1.8i, 4 cyl. (GD) 110kW, 178Nm

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I would go full OCD over that, too, so I can relate. Whatever you do must start by removing them.
If I were in your shoes, I'd try using an acrylic paint such as those tiny tins used to paint models.
Just choose one as close to chrome and you soon won't notice it over time, or go the other way and paint it gloss black or red for a sportier feel.

:link: Tamiya Color GLOSS CHROME SILVER Acrylic Mini Paint X11 10mls – ARCANE Scenery and Models
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal