Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
38,000 klms.
Two years.
15 months for the first 20,000klms. Then 9 months for the next 18,000. :scared:

Here's what I had to say back in February.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=8087.0

I really can't add much to it except to re-confirm my feelings then as unchanged now. It is as quiet now as it was when new; quieter in the tyre department and only the roof racks cause a bit of noise from outside.
I had the 15,000 klm service at a Hyundai dealer, then did the 30,000 klm service where I work (they are accredited to service most national fleet account vehicles), replaced the oil and filters as required as well as flushing the brake and clutch fluid.

But probably the best thing my Hoodai has brought me is membership of this forum.
Great information, nice people, stimulating conversation and meeting some pretty nice people along the way.
Take a bow, Brian in Aberdeen,Ian (agentr31), Russ and Sandy (Seoul Mates if ever I've met any) and Trish and Dazz from that funny beautiful little island to the south of Australia ( ;) ).
Great people all.

Wonder what the next year will bring?

I've just taken the first step to "full" retirement, telling one employer I won't be there any more after this week.
The Goodyear gig will probably continue for a while though.

I had a bit of a jolt this week when I heard a very good workmate from Sydney AND his wife both have cancer. he has about 2 months to live. Earlier in the year a former customer and friend in Roma, died suddenly from a heart attack. He was outwardly healthy and exactly 1 week younger than I am. And another old mentor from my early days in the tyre industry died a few months ago.
I'm not a morbid type and I don't dwell on these things normally but it sure makes you think.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've just taken the first step to "full" retirement, telling one employer I won't be there any more after this week.

I had a bit of a jolt this week when I heard a very good workmate from Sydney AND his wife both have cancer. he has about 2 months to live. Earlier in the year a former customer and friend in Roma, died suddenly from a heart attack. He was outwardly healthy and exactly 1 week younger than I am. And another old mentor from my early days in the tyre industry died a few months ago.
I'm not a morbid type and I don't dwell on these things normally but it sure makes you think.

As one doesn't know when our number will be called or illness will strike you have to make the decision to finish and enjoy yourself.  I am.

ps great review.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Hi Trev,
good to see you are still very happy with your baby, 2 huh, where did that time go.

It was great to catch up with you and Claire,  it was a good day. thanks for meeting up with us, it is good to put a face to people we talk to.

enjoy retirement

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Trev.. Glad you enjoyed catching up as much as Trish and I did... :happydance:

Losing close friends and acquaintances sure makes you take stock doesn't it.. That is why I only work a maximum of 20 hours a week and we are doing more trips than we used to...

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Happy 2nd Birthday to your "Hoodai", surferdude.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the Coast when Dazzler and Trish were up there last weekend, it would have been great to catch up.

I do get up that way (from Brisbane) to visit my father-in-law from time to time, so before my next trip, I'll PM you and we can catch up for a "Hoondai" coffee or something. That way, our babies can sit in the car park and compare notes :lol: :lol: :lol:

I might even bring your baby a present!!!
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Oh it's very hard when all our friends start clocking out and setting off on the long dark journey...   Please accept my sympathies.

Glad to hear your still happy with your car  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Full retirement, I did that a few years back.  I was OK for the first year then a colleague phoned me up and said would I help out with some work, I pretended to be reluctant, in reality I was happy to get back to some work...  Only a few days a month mind, but I keeps me sane.

Whatever ya do I hope your happy.

Asa

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Happy birthday to your "baby", Trev..... :goodjob:

I know where you're coming from re friend's and family popping off.....
I lost my dad at a young age so it was always in the back of my mind that I'd perhaps fall off my perch early too, but thankfully that didn't happen!

What's that saying, only the good die young?  :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm rapt the cars been living up to your expectations Trev,but why wouldn't it.  :wink: :mrgreen: you cant work for ever mate,but most regret stopping.  :confused:  my father in law mows his lawn 3 times a week a washes his car on the other 4 days.  :faint: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Happy Birthday "Hoodai" :goodjob:

:hatoff: :hatoff:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for your feedback guys.
UM I'll look forward to that coffee.
And with regard to the retirement, I take on board everybodies' words of caution.
In fact, I took "full retirement in July 2007. But of course, as happens, people kept offering me a bit here and a bit there(work :exclaim: ), which grows. Hence the decision over 4 years later to begin working towards retirement again (like that choice of words ;) ).

As some of you know. I keep active anyway. Between surfing, kayaking, taking long walks, cycling and simply sitting overlooking the water somewhere with my wife for company and a cup of coffee I don't get bored.
I've also developed a method of reading for shortish periods, jumping up and pottering, then going back to the book. I honestly never get tired of doing that.

Then I have all you nice people for company.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its our home away from home,but at home,on the computer.  :wacko: :rofl: :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't think I'd get board if I retired completely got lots of Landscaping and stuff to do.. at the moment I only have time to maintain (just) but not much improving... :whistler:

Boy have I got some mowing and clearing to do after 8 days away and have my youngest here today.. :happydance:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Don't think I'd get board if I retired completely got lots of Landscaping and stuff to do.. at the moment I only have time to maintain (just) but not much improving... :whistler:

Boy have I got some mowing and clearing to do after 8 days away and have my youngest here today.. :happydance:
that young person could be shown the ride on mower.  :idea: but refer to it as an off road go cart,makes it sound like fun then dazz.  :idea: :lol: :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

that young person could be shown the ride on mower.  :idea: but refer to it as an off road go cart,makes it sound like fun then dazz.  :idea: :lol: :goodjob2: :goodjob:

She is only 14 and is not appropriately dressed (small piece of material masquerading as a skirt) She has ridden an off road motorbike and 4 wheeler too I think but some of my block is tricky and you can't text and mow at the same time either ... :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

She is only 14 and is not appropriately dressed (small piece of material masquerading as a skirt) She has ridden an off road motorbike and 4 wheeler too I think but some of my block is tricky and you can't text and mow at the same time either ... :whistler:

What you really mean is you're scared she'll run over some of Trish's plants. :fum:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, that too.. Gee you know me well  :-[

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal