Test drive - new i30

eye30 · 11 · 9162

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Went for a test drive today and I must say I was very impressed with the new car.

AlanHo's post on his day at Sliverstone says it all so I won't repeat what AlanHo has already said.
AlanHo - I must say that what you posted says it as it is and from reading your postings I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed.

Link:
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=13340.0

Having the 1.6 crdi (115ps) I decided to try the 1.4 petrol (100ps).

I must say I really enjoyed the drive.  I drove on all types of roads - A road, motorway, residential road, B road.

On this route there is long hill going up.  I found that I had to change down gear to keep the same momentum from the flat to get up the hill to prevent my speed reducing.  In my own car it just breezes up with out having to change down.

All in all it was a great car to drive and well worth looking at if I was to consider changing my car as it approaches its 5th birthday.

I then had a drive of the i40.

I was given the 1.7 crdi.  Again WHAT a drive.  It handled very well and the steering was light and very direct.
The power was unbelievable but being a diesel I able to compare to my 1.6 and in my opinion there wasn't must difference.

Unfortunately the car is to big for what I need so reluctanly I handed the key back.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 18:56:41 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice feedback Lester.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:

Resist the temptation (of the petrol model)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanks for the much valued info Lester.  :mrgreen:  i still have a few months till the new model comes.  :'(
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

I agree, who wants to change gears anyway.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I agree, who wants to change gears anyway.  :mrgreen:
i don't mind it.  :whistler: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Changing gears is half the fun of driving.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Last evening I climbed from the city to my hills address, approx 400m vertical gradient. 4 adults on board, 1800 revs top gear, light traffic 80kph. Gotta love the diesel torque. Very pleasant drive, even the auto didn't need to change gears.  Could have been the french fry I guess. :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

As my annual mileage is circa 5,000 I can't really justify the price for the diesel but you never know if they have a promotion on the diesel may come within my budget.

I found the difference between the the 2 engines noticable but I must say that on more than 1 occasion I thought the engine was OFF as it was so so quite.

When I turned the engine off I couldn't get it to start when I turned the key.

After a bit of a panic, thinking my only action was to phone the garage to come out and rescue me and what a plonker I'd look, I found that you have to press the clutch in and then press an on/off button to the left of the steering wheel.

The key is used just to activate the electronic system.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
That's the ISG system Lester, mine does that all the time :goodjob:

I had a seat in a new i30 this morning, very nice I have to say, although after a year in the ix20 it felt like I was sitting in a racing car, it is really low in comparison!!

I like the fact that they have taken the idea from the ix20 for the rear seats, they sit significantly higher than the front ones, it's great for the wee one :cool:

Then I had a good look and a seat in the Veloster.  Oh my, I like that a lot!!  The cabin is a very nice place to be, the back is OK for my height, but as expressed elsewhere I wouldn't want to be over maybe 5 foot 10 or so.  The slope of the car makes it difficult for little people to see much out of the sides also :undecided:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Then I had a good look and a seat in the Veloster.  Oh my, I like that a lot!!  The cabin is a very nice place to be, the back is OK for my height, but as expressed elsewhere I wouldn't want to be over maybe 5 foot 10 or so.  The slope of the car makes it difficult for little people to see much out of the sides also :undecided:

Access to the back was tight if there is 2/3 to get in as you have to shuffle across the width of the car.

I felt the leg room was tight especially if the front people are long legged and the seat is a fair way back..

Great as a safety feature for the "little ones" as they get out on the "safe" side.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal