i30 Owners Club

First 1000km - 2010 i30 sx 1.6L CRDI hatch

Offline Skeptosaurus

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I sold my beloved 99 subaru wrx dark blue sedan three weeks ago for several reasons:

1. Just ticked over 200,000km and needed to get rid of it before major mechanical problems started cropping up,

2. Servicing and insurance costs were a constant headache,

3. I needed a less fuel hungry car.

In deciding to get the i30 I was hoping for a reliable, economical car that has reasonable handling, quietness on the road and doesn't cost a fortune to service.
I knew that going from awd to fwd, the difference in handling would be very noticeable, so I was pleasantly surprised at the i30's ability to take corners. Here's my list of pros and cons after only a couple of weeks of owning the car.

Positives:

1. Very good fuel economy - I roughly estimate to have gotten just over 810km from a full tank. I drove the car nanna-like for the most part but it was hard to resist occasionally testing the torque most owners speak of so glowingly about. I expect the economy to improve slightly once engine run in, but if it doesn't, no problemo.

2. Quiet once in motion and and noise not overly intrusive even when idling. Tyre noise from the factory tyres is slightly more prominent than I'd like but nothing to complain about. I'll try a different make of tyre when the time is due.

3. Seating is comfortable though I am yet to test the comfort level on a longer trip. Driving to Warrnambool in July so should give me a better idea then.

4. Acceleration is better than adequate but in pursuit of economy one is often in a dilemma - torque or fuel economy? A nice dilemma to have.

5. Roomy back seats.

6. Cornering ability I can live with.

7. The price is right.

8. ANCAP safety rating.

Negatives:

1. Steering wheel sitting off kilter. I believe this to be a cosmetic issue as wheel balance seems to be fine. Car doesn't favour tracking left or right when on a flat freeway lane. The steering wheel just seems to have been mounted ~20 degrees to the left as opposed to dead centre. First free service should solve this I hope.

2. Getting little feedback from the steering. So used to the sharp, precise steering in the wrx. Takes an extra eighth of a turn to get the i30 to change direction. It feels light and fluffy in my hands. Not a major worry.

3. Lack of reversing visibility and presence of blind spots is something I am still getting acquainted with.

4. Regret not forking the extra dough on the SLX with cruise and st wheel mounted audio (amongst other goodies). Was quoted $880 by Hyundai to have an after market cruise control installed. "Tell'em they're dreamin'!"

5. I am 6 ft tall and would have liked for the seat to be able to drop down another notch or two. With the bluetooth attached to the visor, my hairdo sometimes nudges the visor and visibiliy in upper sector is compromised.

Anyhow, very happy with my purchase so far.  :whistler:

Btw, really enjoying the website. Kudos to the developers and moderators.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yep that was a great first right-up....  glad your enjoying the new more economical car  :goodjob:....   Keep us posted  :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice little review, Skepto..... :goodjob:

:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Can some mod change the red print to something readable please?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Must be your pooter, Trev...it looks fine from where I'm sitting.... :p

Yellow posts on the other hand........ :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The red is (just) readable.
I use yellow because early in the piece the mods asked me no to use red as it didn't stand out too well against the black.
Tried a desktop. The same.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can some mod change the red print to something readable please?

Yep, it wasn't the most contrasting colour choice :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Skepto, welcome.

There's a few of us on here who have come out of one or more Scoobies.
Mine wasn't a WRX and I'm not sure what the difference in the steering is between one of those and my RV but I suspect what you are noticing may have something to do with the tyres. Did the rex have low profile 17" or 18" whhels/tyres? And if your i30 is 16 or 15 you can expect a difference just in the sidewall flex as you turn in.

On the height thingy, I'm a tad over 6'2" and my head clears everything pretty easily. Are you possibly sitting fairly close to the steering wheel?  Whilst on the steering wheel, make sure they fix that at the service. It shouldn't be like that obviously and there's no reason for you to have to put up with it. Bit of a slip up in the pre-delivery checks there.  :-[

I think you'll get used to the rearward visibility. Every car is different and I reckon the i30 has better visibility when reversing than most I've driven.

Trev

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

The red is (just) readable.
I use yellow because early in the piece the mods asked me no to use red as it didn't stand out too well against the black.
Tried a desktop. The same.

Interesting, I'm using a desktop pooter myself and to be honest, the red really wasn't any harder to read than the yellow...not that I'm overly fussed on either colour.

Just between you & me, I reckon white is a pretty good contrast to the black or grey background... :winker: 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can read the yellow better than the red (sorry Russ .. you are out voted) :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I can read the yellow better than the red (sorry Russ .. you are out voted) :winker:

How would you know, Daz...you're colour blind.... :p :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No I'm not.. I've just been reading the i30 Club Newsletter .. it's Black & White .. and RED all over  :P

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
I'm doing the same this weekend but for a 2nd hand crdi auto. Ditching gt for the same reasons finally. Should have in my possession by next week. 810km from a tank, that's 3 of premium in a wrx or gt lol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome unfamilia .. Sounds like the way to go  :mrgreen:

Offline Skeptosaurus

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi Skepto, welcome.

There's a few of us on here who have come out of one or more Scoobies.
Mine wasn't a WRX and I'm not sure what the difference in the steering is between one of those and my RV but I suspect what you are noticing may have something to do with the tyres. Did the rex have low profile 17" or 18" whhels/tyres? And if your i30 is 16 or 15 you can expect a difference just in the sidewall flex as you turn in.

On the height thingy, I'm a tad over 6'2" and my head clears everything pretty easily. Are you possibly sitting fairly close to the steering wheel?  Whilst on the steering wheel, make sure they fix that at the service. It shouldn't be like that obviously and there's no reason for you to have to put up with it. Bit of a slip up in the pre-delivery checks there.  :-[

I think you'll get used to the rearward visibility. Every car is different and I reckon the i30 has better visibility when reversing than most I've driven.

Trev

Hi, Trev

My head is well away from the steering wheel and visor in my default sitting position though my bluetooth speaker is now attached to the visor and has brought it down slightly. I should've explained the only time my head sometimes nudges the visor is when I lean forward considerably. It's a matter of adjustment as the sitting position in my previous car was lower and gave me better visibility.

Had the car in for it's 1000km service yesterday. Waited 4 hrs just to get the steering wheel adjusted and the service done. Wasn't a happy chappy considering I was told it would only take an hour and a half. If I'd known it would take that long I would've gone home and come back.

The Rex had standard 16" tyres but they were a lower profile. At some stage I'll look at getting bigger wheels with lower profile tyres but not in a rush now.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal