i30 Owners Club

1000km service - things to discuss.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Coming up to 1000km service and just wanted to raise up few likes, dislikes so far and see if anyone has had any similar issues I'll raise up at 1000km service for my SLX CRDi manual.

Economy. Mixed city bumper to bumper and free flowing driving in suburban Sydney. Getting around 5.3-5.5L/100km.

Torque.

Integrated bluetooth works well. Not had this in previous car and it's works so well.

Nice bright interior lighting when opening door.

Good looks particularly from behind.

Tight turning circle.

Dislikes

Steering can be a bit vague.

Selecting 3rd instead of 1st gear. This is quite annoying, the gate which separates 1st and 3rd gear seems to be such that if angle the gear stick anything but 9 o'clock eg 10 o'clock direction, it will be directed to 3rd instead of 1st. Many a traffic light I have found myself in 3rd on takeoff when I thought I was in 1st.  Can this be fixed or adjusted. I certainly didn't have this problem in the manuals I test drove.

Headlights aimed a bit low: Whilst quite adequate at 60km/hr in well lit areas, on the highway at 90km/hr or more, it does not light up enough and you find yourself thinking if there was anything on the road beyond, you'd have no chance of avoiding it. I am aware of adjusting it but can't find a phillips screwdriver long enough or able to fit in through the hole at the top of the assembly. Anyone know what dimensions the screwdriver has to be? Does it have to be a no 2 or no 3 head.

Parking sensors are a bit soft. I'll see if the volume can be turned up.

Blue instrument lights can be a bit hard to make out at night, particularly air con symbols.

Overall though, despite a few things I need to get used to, the car is great overall.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice little "testimonial" there, my little dyssynergic defaecative friend :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Headlights aimed a bit low:

I have a hight leveller/adjuster just by my right knee which will raise or lower the headlights.

Blue instrument lights can be a bit hard to make out at night, particularly air con symbols.

I find the panel hard to read when lights are off and the outside light is low.

When lights on I find ok.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We don't get the headlight height adjuster in OZ Lester.. :'(

Thanks for the feedback "con" interesting about the 6 speed as the wife's 5 speed CW has the nicest gear selection I have ever experienced (quite a bit better than my 2008 model)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
First drive in my new 6 speed tonight, I found the gearbox to be quite good

R135
_246

I assume the shift operates like above, release the shift and it flicks between 3 and 4
straight up and it goes into 3, push left then up and you get first
if you don't push left far enough, yes you won't be able to push up into first
I don't think it's much different to other 5 speeds of other makes I've driven

most of the way home was 80km zones and 4th felt the right gear to be in
I began to despair of getting beyond, at last I found a clear lonely stretch and would it up to 110 in 6th
felt very comfortable

low beam was a bit low
high beam was fine
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
push left then up and you get first
if you don't push left far enough, yes you won't be able to push up into first
I don't think it's much different to other 5 speeds of other makes I've driven

Yes. I guess my point is the metal bit that separates 1st and 3rd, seems to extend down a bit further than in other gearboxes I've driven. What I've noticed is I push the gear lever to the left and I think I've hit the left end and can push it up into first. Instead what I'm hitting is the metal bit between 1st and 3rd. I then push up and it goes into 3rd instead.

Normally to get into 3rd I don't need the gearstick to hit anything, I just let it go, it settles into correct position between 3rd and 4th and then I push up.

low beam was a bit low
high beam was fine

Agree with this. As soon as I find a screwdriver that fits I'll adjust it higher.

Dazzler I don't know if the camry's headlights are like my other car (Aurion) which has fantastic headlights. They are aimed high with a sharp cutoff that lights only up to about numberplate level but goes much further.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler I don't know if the camry's headlights are like my other car (Aurion) which has fantastic headlights. They are aimed high with a sharp cutoff that lights only up to about numberplate level but goes much further.

Yes the lights are great in the "Hybrid"  :winker: far better than the i30 .. putting +50 or +80 globes in our old CRDi made quite a bit of difference but they just don't last long enough as discussed elsewhere on here..Maybe part of it is that they are set too low  :cool:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Misjudged a right turn today. Thought the oncoming traffic was slowing and that a green right turn arrow was coming on for me so proceeded.

Realised halfway through the turn that they didn't look like they were slowing down. Had to floor it in 1st gear. Gave myself and my wife an almighty fright. Close call.

That split second when the diesel is quite slow before you hit the peak torque and the turbo must spring into action takes getting used to.

Still learning to drive my diesel.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Post 1000km service.

Parking sensors were moved and are now louder. They couldn't be turned up but the move has improved things.

The gearshift, as I expected they couldn't / didn't do anything about. I guess I'll just learn to adjust my driving.

HALO was turned on. Now locks at 20km/h. Expected this. Didn't know about the automatic unlocking on withdrawal of key. Not sure I wanted this but may live with it. Now reading the stories of keys getting locked inside running car by HALO. Hope this doesn't happen to me.

Otherwise, the car itself feels different. Feels more powerful, and more tolerant of lower revs.

They don't give me a printout of what was checked or done (Is this normal? Mazda always gave me an extensive description of everything done in a service)

I don't believe oil is changed nowadays at 1000km service.

Could it be possible an alteration to the ECU happens at 1000km?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The 1000 service is only a check (unless you have reported a problem) but maybe the new motor got an ECU update  :idea: (quite possible)

In the UK they don't even get a 1000Km/mile check  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal