i30 Owners Club

Hyundai I30 Map Care for Car Navigation system & downloading calling list

Indra W · 73 · 50806

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'll get on to it.

Can someone please tell me where the on/off switch is?  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So I understand that the dealers will check for the most up to date version of the software etc - but is there any way we can do this ourselves? I would love to be able to do this.

• 2013 Hyundai i30 Premium GD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
IIRC an update is due in April, so no one ask for an update b4 then, nothing will be changed.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
So I understand that the dealers will check for the most up to date version of the software etc - but is there any way we can do this ourselves? I would love to be able to do this.

The salesperson mentioned that we can do it ourselves but it's "easier to leave it to the service department when you bring it in" and didn't have much more information on doing the updates.

On the subject of contact lists, according to my iPhone I have 347 contacts and they all imported first time, without any issue in our car. The phone did pair, then drop off the first time, I then had to remove and re-add - this happened in the car we test drove, also. No issues so far but will keep an eye on it.
  • MY12 GD i30 Elite in Santorini Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

The salesperson mentioned that we can do it ourselves but it's "easier to leave it to the service department when you bring it in" and didn't have much more information on doing the updates.

On the subject of contact lists, according to my iPhone I have 347 contacts and they all imported first time, without any issue in our car. The phone did pair, then drop off the first time, I then had to remove and re-add - this happened in the car we test drove, also. No issues so far but will keep an eye on it.

:ta: Did you clear your contact list in the car you test drove?  :scared:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

:ta: Did you clear your contact list in the car you test drove?  :scared:

Probably not… hopefully it only shows my contact list when my phone is paired >_>

Also, I stumbled across this http://www.navigation.com, which appears to have software updates, however not for Australia (not that I had seen)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I understand that Navteq update their maps on average three times per year. I see that there is a new Europe update for the i30 available from Navteq - but they are charging the equivalent of £150 for each update. Hence - to keep your car constantly updated via Navteq with the latest maps would cost £450 per year which frankly is disgraceful. Hopefully Hyundai have a better arrangement.

My 2012 Style model does not have the built-in sat-nav - I much prefer to use my Garmin Nuvi for which I get 3 free (Navteq) map updates per year.

For me - the main advantage of keeping my maps up to date is not the few extra roads built each year or the rare changes to major routes - it is to keep the road speed limit display up to date. Speed limits in towns are being changed by the local authorities all the time and it is all too easy to get caught out.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Go Garmin  :mrgreen:

Good thinking, Alan. :goodjob2:

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Another discovery I've made, if you press and hold the cog button after the system has fully booted (map comes up) until the attached screen comes up (about five seconds) it gives you some information about installed software.

I registered at www.hyundainav.com, which certainly allows downloading of updates - the most recent of which is Q3 2012 - however they come at a price of $118, as opposed to being included with your annual dealer service. I guess if you want more frequent updates, you'd have to fork out for them. They don't appear to be tied to a single device, though so it may be possible for people to chip in and install on multiple vehicles.

Doesn't look like there's Safety Cameras, Petrol Prices, Traffic Information or POIs for Australia though. Might be worth a look in.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I find with my Navman that quite a few of the posted speed limits are different to those on the satnav.
For example, 50 v 60 and that sort of thing, so I hope they get those sorted when they do the updates.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's the same with my new Garmin....

My old one would let you correct them if they were wrong, unfortunately that option isn't available on the newbie...  :fum:

Offline MW79

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi All,

New i30 Premium owner here in Brisbane. I have been wondering what the USB key is that comes in that fancy DVD case. I had assumed you downloaded your GPS software, BT patch etc to it from the net, but have also found out that it is only there for show. Maybe I will copy some MP3's to it and get some use from it.

BIG thanks to deringer for posting details on getting the device info. PS the cog button is the one on the right that normally universal for the settings symbol, not the On/off button that could be confused with a cog. LOL  :lol:

All the information derringer provided is the same apart from Device ID, obviously. Maps are from quarter 3 2011. My vehicle build is Jan 2013. Not great after spending tens of thousands and being told I have the latest maps available... We really need something like XDA developers for the i30, for those into phone modding :)
  • i30 Premium CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Greetings MW79, Welcome to the forum,

I think the blank USB is used for your nav update by the service department. Which is why it's currently blank.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think the blank USB is used for your nav update by the service department. Which is why it's currently blank.

Is there a need for customers to have these updates once they are actually installed?
Surely the service department would just use their own usb stick when updating?  :undecided:

Btw, I received a hyundai labelled usb stick with my 2010 i30 which I assumed was so I could load it full of music...One could assume Hyundai have just continued this with the GD....  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline MW79

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for the welcome and fast replies guys. I think I will just get a small spare USB and maybe put a few MP3's on it. I have a Nokia 920 with a Xbox music subscription so plan to use that with the BT streaming. This is the big reason I shied away from buying a Holden Cruze which only has Aux or Apple connectivity. Would be fantastic if there were a way to mod the Nav unit included, but I guess there isn't a big market for that sort of thing (yet). So far today I've taken it for a 120km scenic drive on the outskirts of Brisbane and so far am very impressed with what I see.

The dealer is going to call later in the week to see how I am going and I will be sure to feedback what others have said, esp the outdated maps and the lack of information from Hyundai themselves.

• i30 Premium CRDi

Offline Vangos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hello all,

I am also an owner of an i30 Elite New Generation and I have the same problems and curiosity regarding the USB stick mentioned in these posts.

Since Sunday 10/03/13, I noticed something weird is happening with the clock.

About 10 seconds after starting the car the time jumps forward one hour and about 30 seconds later it goes back to normal again.

I changed the setting in the GPS menu from Auto Update to Manual but the problem still exists.

I have contacted Hyundai today and still waiting for a reply.

Just wondering if anyone had the same issue.

Cheers
Vangos
  • i30 Elite New Generation

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
About 10 seconds after starting the car the time jumps forward one hour and about 30 seconds later it goes back to normal again.

Curious, we noticed the same thing on Saturday night and again this morning. The clock was as much as 1.5 hours fast but reverted to correct time by the time we got into work.

The clock on the map screen seems to generally be ok, however, the system clock (the one that appears when you press the clock button, or are on radio/media screens) fluctuates.

Keep us updated with how you go.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The map screen clock time is probably taken from the atomic gps time, with a local offset applied of course. It should always be highly accurate except for the 250 ms delay. Why the radio is different  :Dunno:

Offline Vangos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Both radio clock and GPS clock or by pushing the clock button they all hsve the same problem.

Hyundai got back to me today and asked me to bring it in for a service.

I booked it in for Monday, I'll let you know of the outcome.

Cheers

Offline GuruChoc

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Both radio clock and GPS clock or by pushing the clock button they all hsve the same problem.

Hyundai got back to me today and asked me to bring it in for a service.

I booked it in for Monday, I'll let you know of the outcome.

Cheers

Not sure what good that will do, daylight savings time changed in the USA and Europe over the weekend, this is when everyone including myself noticed the time was an hour ahead at startup, once the GPS syncs, 15-20 seconds it is fine, I guess someone missed something somewhere in the head unit software and thats why it is doing it, I wouldn't bother wasting my time with a service.

I guess the system got an update on the weekend, when I search phone numbers when my iphone is plugged in all the keys are displayed now, previously it would only light up the letters you could possible type next to complete a surname. I think the update also screwed the time up.

G
  • GD I30 HATCH 1.8P PREMIUM AUTO, Sleek Silver/Black

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I guess the system got an update on the weekend, when I search phone numbers when my iphone is plugged in all the keys are displayed now, previously it would only light up the letters you could possible type next to complete a surname. I think the update also screwed the time up.

G

I don't think the system is updated that way... The time is sporadically different and varyingly so. It was only five minutes out this afternoon, although it was dead in this morning.

I'll certainly be bringing it up at the 1500km service. Not being able to set the clock manually is a bit annoying, if you ask me.

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I like not having to keep the clock accurate, what I don't like is the inability to set the time, the correct time zone, whether to update time when I switch between time zones, and if DST is on or not. If they let me do that, and then used the GPS to keep it accurate, I'd be happier. Ultimately though, I just learnt to live with it, as I know Hyundai won't be doing anything about it.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Vangos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I like not having to keep the clock accurate, what I don't like is the inability to set the time, the correct time zone, whether to update time when I switch between time zones, and if DST is on or not. If they let me do that, and then used the GPS to keep it accurate, I'd be happier. Ultimately though, I just learnt to live with it, as I know Hyundai won't be doing anything about it.

If you go to the "regional" tab in the GPS settings you can change it to any timezone you like including daylight savings on or off. To do so follow these steps:

While in the GPS mode press Menu -> More -> Settings -> scroll down to the Regional tab -> timezone -> Untick "Use Auto Time Zone" etc

The problem I have still exists, I actually timed it... I start the car and 30 seconds later it jumps exactly one hour ahead and 46 seconds after that it goes back to normal time.

I'd like to keep my hopes up but I don't think anything will change on Monday, just bringing it to their attention and hopefully they'll have an update for us all soon.

Anyone else notice that there's no date that is easily accessed? Usually in any other car I have ever had when you press the clock butting up comes the date as well, with my fancy new car it's too difficult to add it in it seems even though there's plenty of space to put it somewhere. Instead you have to be fiddling with the GPS menus to see what date it is.

Offline MW79

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I have found the same issues everyone else is having regarding the time. After about 30 secs it returns to normal.

Back on subject - I got a call back from Hyundai Aust regarding the fact the maps show Q3 2011 and an official word on the USB stick provided. I was told that the maps for 2011 are compiled in early 2012 then sent to Dealerships thereafter. No further updates are done for the year. So 2012 is being compiled now for a release of April 2013 sometime. I said that this would mean that I am going to be about 1 year behind as I only do about 15,000kms a year and a service will probably be in March 2014, when the free map update is carried out. The Hyundai rep said that it is indeed the case, but that they will only do the free update when I go to an authorised Hyundai Dealership for its service. I can try and get a new map earlier from the dealership, but they are not obliged to do anything for me.

Also as others have mentioned the included USB stick in the DVD case is so the Dealership can copy the map/software updates to it to keep as a back-up which is done when you get the scheduled service.

For this instance I found the reply to be prompt, in-depth and the rep seemed to know what she was talking about. So far happy with the experience.
  • i30 Premium CRDi

Offline Vangos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Update,

Nothing was done today at Hyundai as they told me that I had to heave the car there with them for 2 hours!

As I thought it would be a waste of time, I'll have to wait and take it back in again at the 15k service.

In the mean time I'll have to live with it.  :head_butt:

Offline Stuffa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Wambie
It is just plain wrong that you need to take the car to a dealer to get your GPS updated.
The GPS belongs to us not the dealer. Has anyone got a dealer to update the GPS yet? I tried thru Naviextras to update my maps as they are pretty shocking. You need to copy a fingerprint from the unit head to the USB stick to download from the naviextras site. I can't figure out how to do that has anyone else done this?
The GPS is the worst feature about this car, a mobile phone does a better job. The only other thing I dislike about this car is the annoying door chime.. Otherwise I think it is a great car.
I took my car in for a service the other day and asked them to upgrade the GPS and fix a problem with the IPod USB port as it keeps coming up with an error when I try to connect my iPhone. They said I would have to leave the car there for an extra two hours, I had a doctors appointment later that day and said forget it.
I just can't believe there isn't clear instructions somewhere on how to do software and map upgrades on the GPS.
  • 2013 Phantom Black GD i30 1.8 Premium auto Hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There are instructions on how to stop the door chime, use our search function.

GPS, hardly a good feature compared to other units & I agree, there should be no charge for map updates at the owner's discretion, as it is with Garmin products.

Offline Stuffa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Wambie
There are instructions on how to stop the door chime, use our search function

I don't think so!!!! The only way I've found to stop it is to put accessories on. So when your cleaning and detailing the inside of the car you have to leave the accessories on or leave the door chimes going for hours.. The service dept told me it can't be disabled or maybe they are just lazy.
  • 2013 Phantom Black GD i30 1.8 Premium auto Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal