i30 Owners Club

Lost code for radio

malaus1 · 25 · 32756

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
Hi guys,  I've searched the forum and I guess I'm the only dill so here's my problem -
 my wife had trouble starting the i30 while I was away for a few days so she had the Auto club bloke save her. Not sure what the problem was but seems he disconnected the battery and now the audio system is asking for a code to be entered.
I can't find the little card that had the code on it. Aaaargh.
Is there any way to overcome the loss of a code?  Silly that they don't have a user designed code that can be personal to the user.
Help !!!!!!!
  • 2011 i30 SX, 2Ltr petrol Silver

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Someone may know a way around it, otherwise a trip to the dealership should fix it.
They'd have a generic one I would imagine.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Ive done numerous ecu resets on my two cars by disconnecting the battery overnight and not once has my radio asked for a security code.  :confused:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No code with my unit.

Have you tried:

etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Errmm.. if it's asking for a code don't just go randomly trying any old codes :lol:

You'll find your radio becomes a brick ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
too late. It's now a brick. I found a note in my paperwork from the purchase that gave me 2 codes. 1/ started with MK plus 4 digits. 2/ was 6 digits. Figured, as I couldn't enter characters the 6 digits must be the one. Entered the first 4 then the 5th and 6th digits. The entry of the 5th and 6th acted like new entries and I only get 3 tries don't I? Wallah, a brick.    Damn!!
Bloody stupid idea having a security code on a radio that is half of the dash and nobody would want to pinch anyway.   :disapp:
For those that don't need security codes - good luck. My audio system had to have a special supplement to show how to use it.

ouri30
Just a thought.  Why not disconnect the power (you could remove the fuse) overnight.  It may allow you to start over again.  Worth a try.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid: that's usually the way to reset the code entry sequence. Previous radios of mine have enforced progressively longer times between code entry attempts, but a power recycle sometimes restarts the trial.

Unless yours truly has become bricked  :'(

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
too late. It's now a brick. I found a note in my paperwork from the purchase that gave me 2 codes. 1/ started with MK plus 4 digits. 2/ was 6 digits. Figured, as I couldn't enter characters the 6 digits must be the one. Entered the first 4 then the 5th and 6th digits. The entry of the 5th and 6th acted like new entries and I only get 3 tries don't I? Wallah, a brick.    Damn!!
Bloody stupid idea having a security code on a radio that is half of the dash and nobody would want to pinch anyway.   :disapp:
For those that don't need security codes - good luck. My audio system had to have a special supplement to show how to use it.
your dealer should be able to reset the audio system up for you but they won't tell you how they do it
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
malaus1,is your car the trophy edition [black headlights,grey alloy wheels] ?   :idea: :undecided:

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
malaus1,is your car the trophy edition [black headlights,grey alloy wheels] ?   :idea: :undecided:

No. Just a stock standard 2011 model. It has an audio system that's not in the handbook though. Took me ages to extract a supplement from the dealer who didn't know they existed.
I'll give the power disconnect idea a try later. Too bloody hot at the moment.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sometimes there is a cap or battery in the unit to maintain the clock etc as well, so the battery disconnect might not work for that reason too. :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I believe the radio code was a part of the upgrade for the blue tooth on the MY11 model. As my MY10SX dosen't have it, but my wife's MY11SX does.

The dealer should have the code as a part of your vehicles details in their computer. Once you have verified you are the owner, they should be able to give it to you.

Then I would suggest writing the code somewhere strange in the owners manual close to the spine where someone flicking through won't see it. Then you will know where it is, and once you tell future owners they will too.

I can't see the reasoning behind the code really, I haven't heard of someone running off with an I30 head unit.....Whilst it is choice and all, it is hardly top of the range....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's why i asked about the car being a trophy,the bluetooth is a different radio.  :undecided: :confused:

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
Thanks for all the comments people and I can report all is good now.
The car was idle for 2 days and when turned on asked for code again, so the brick was only temporary. A phone call to the dealer provided the correct code and the only reset needed was the radio stations. We have music yaaay.
Code is now written in obvious places so anyone silly enough to want the unit can have it. Insurance can find a later model.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A phone call to the dealer provided the correct code ...

* Shambles waits for someone to ask "what is that code, 'cos I need it too" :lol:

^-- I've seen something similar requested on another forum  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A phone call to the dealer provided the correct code ...

* Shambles waits for someone to ask "what is that code, 'cos I need it too" :lol:

^-- I've seen something similar requested on another forum  :mrgreen:

:lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I believe the radio code was a part of the upgrade for the blue tooth on the MY11 model. As my MY10SX dosen't have it, but my wife's MY11SX does.

I have bluetooth, May 2012 model, but as far as I know I don't need a code.

malaus1 - Did they comment why your radio code wasn't provided to you as part of the handover?

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
No they didn't say why a code wasn't provided.  I didn't ask either but I never expected to need one when I picked up the car. It was a so called demo vehicle and all was set up nicely with nothing to add and was the right price and I was eager to get it home.
I'm told they sell more demo's, to private buyers, than anything else . It's a way of cutting prices without having to justify the price.  :happydance:  They fully serviced it before pickup and is only now due for the next service 12 months later. (my wifes car which is low mileage. I get stuck with a 20 year old Camry which is bigger in the boot space for the golf clubs and doesn't need a code for its radio which is better quality too).  :tease:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
.-. .- -.. .. ---

:whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I'm told they sell more demo's, to private buyers, than anything else . It's a way of cutting prices without having to justify the price.  :happydance: 

I've bought 2 demo's in the past and saved ££££££ with 1 car with 4K miles and the other with 20 miles (I did 8 on test drive).

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I'm told they sell more demo's, to private buyers, than anything else . It's a way of cutting prices without having to justify the price.

It's a ploy to retain residual values which discounted prices would do.  Unfortunately it means the first genuine owner is  actually  the  second which may reduce the trade-in value! No such thing as a free lunch.

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
My experience is they don't bother about how many owners when the car is 15 to 20 years old. My 20 YO '93 Camry was also a demo and before that a '78 Toyota T18 which was falling apart with rust and which had been near new (although not a demo). As you can see I don't change cars very often. My wife has gone through a Corolla (smashed by son), Excel (smashed by granddaughter), Excel traded in on the i30 (only because the gearbox died), in the same period of time. I love my Camry but it may eventually have to be replaced by an i30 or it's later version. Maybe another 10 years eh ??? LOL

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal