i30 Owners Club

HOW TO - adding steering wheel volume controls!!

agentr31 · 133 · 63696

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That was one way to up your post count!  :whistler:

Thanks for posting though... :goodjob:

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Post count be damned! :disapp:
I tried doing it as one big post but was limited by 50kb each pic/200kb of pics per post. Maybe because I'm still a relative newbie here I have that as a limitation?
I wanted to do it as one big post - as per Agentr31's original post - but wasn't allowed.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Was just teasing, Bitsumishi.... :D

Btw, you would be best off hosting your photos on photobucket and then just post the links.

There's a "how to" here

Cheers  :)

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Aw, Rusty... I knew you were taking the piss so I'm not offended.

Besides it gave me the opportunity to add to my post count :lol:

Thanks for the PhotoBucket link - that's very useful.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

• 2018 i30 SR Man. - Blue
I was just thinking if this was possible. That's the one thing I miss from the Getz - the wheel audio controls!
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline escusemay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey everyone,
Just picked up a 2011 i30 CRDi a couple of weeks ago. Loving it so far!
We're wanting to install the audio controls and already have cruise control fitted. Been looking around for the control and found various places that sell it.

eBay - $30 posted - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-Steering-Wheel-Audio-Control-Button-fit-Hyundai-Elantra-Touring-2007-2011-/120910850241?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AElantra&hash=item1c26d928c1#ht_2322wt_952
KORAPS - $41 posted - http://koraps.com/shop/item.php?it_id=325358
Hyundai spare parts - $144
Korean Auto imports - $62 posted - http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_529_201&products_id=1159

Big difference in prices! The eBay looks like an OEM, so I'm not sure whether the button lights up when the headlights are on (just like the cruise control does). The KORAPS one looks promising though as I read on another thread that someone purchased from there and it lights up too.

Just wanted to know your experiences with purchasing from KORAPS/Korean Auto Imports and whether they're genuine parts.

Thanks in advance!
  • i30

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
A few folk, including escusemay sent me private posts asking about pricing for parts for this mod.

Whilst I am sure there are always cheaper prices, I'd advise caution to use genuine parts especially for a car still under warranty. The scenario I use is when there is a warranty repair to be done requiring the steering wheel to be removed at least the technician will see genuine parts and not have cause to void or refuse a warranty claim that may or may not be related to those parts.

Think of it as an inexpensive insurance policy...

So, if you are assured those parts are genuine (not convinced about that $30 eBay item) then the price is indeed a bargain. Yes, the button lights should light up when the headlights are on.

I'm the last person to complain about chasing a bargain, but in my case (in this particular instance) I was more than happy to fit the genuine parts onto a vehicle I indeed to use every day and keep for (hopefully) many, many years.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline escusemay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for the heads up, Bitsumishi. Yeah I'm worried about voiding the warranty too! The ebay seller wasn't sure whether their part is genuine, so I'm leaning towards it being an OEM non original. Will give them a pass. If KORAPS does sell genuine parts, then that's definitely a win-win for us. I'll email them and let you all know what they say.
  • i30

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC
Hi All,

I've just done the mod and it is working fine.  Only problem is that since doing the mod my ESP OFF light is on.  I did note that when I pulled the airbag out that the airbag cable had been crimped but it didn't look damaged.

Has anyone else had this issue?  If there was an airbag issue is it likely to bring on the ESP OFF light or is there a SRS light?  I have had the ESP light OFF issue in this and another vehicle before as a result of brake switch failure but it seems a bit to much of a coincidence.  However I guess anything can happen when the battery is disconnected.

Any thoughts appreciated!
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My ESP OFF light always illuminates when I've had the battery disconnected. The next engine start has always cleared it.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Berocca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• 2010 CRDi SX Man CC
My ESP OFF light always illuminates when I've had the battery disconnected. The next engine start has always cleared it.

Thanks Shambles, everyone else can stop looking!

It just so happens that I had started the car several times in the driveway but the light remained on. Interestingly tonight when I went out to pick up our Japanese takeaway food, the light was still on however when I got back in the car with a big bag of tasty Japanese food when I started the car the light went off straight away!

My two theories -
1. After the battery has been disconnected the ESP light stays on until the car has been for a drive and had a chance to re-validate sensors.
2. Korean cars have a secret hankering for Japanese food and will do pretty much anything to get some.

• i30 CRDi

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Yep, I'd forgotten to mention the same thing happened to me when I did my mod - I nearly shat myself!  :faint:

However, this post pointed me in the correct direction - https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11461.0

I went for a drive and all righted itself.

Enjoy those audio controls Berocca! :happydance:
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline escusemay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Managed to get my audio steering controls installed tonight. All in all, a pretty straightforward installation. Had a few question marks along the way, but the pictures really do make a big difference. Big thanks to Bitsumishi for recommending the local Brisbane Hyundai parts supplier. They were about 5 min away from home!

I ended up purchasing the steering wheel controls from Koraps for around $28 posted (cheap/slow post took around 2 weeks). The wire loom I picked up from Hyundai Genuine parts for $39.90 today after work. So all up, managed to get everything installed in under an hour and it costed less than $70.

Only thing that got me worried was the clock spring. It was already there, but I accidentally moved it slightly and the arrows didn't match up. Read on the instructions on the actual unit itself to rotate it 3 turns, then tighten it or something. I turned it a few times but it was still loose, so I turned it the opposite way the same number of times and hopefully left it as where it was originally. Installed the steering wheel, connected the battery and fired up the engine. Typed in my radio code and went for a quick drive around the block to re-calibrate the ESP. All working good now. I was really worried the air bags would go off in case I didn't connect something properly but fingers crossed I did it correctly.

Thanks again! No more reaching for the radio as often now :)
  • i30

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Well done escusemay!  :happydance:

However, I can't take all the credit for pics and recommendations. Let's not forget agentr31 :goodjob2: who posted the original pics, instructions, and hints. Without his great post I wouldn't have tackled the task or added to his great set of instructions and take more pics.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great results all around .. Sesame Street hasn't got a monopoly on co-operation  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Glacius

• V.I.P

• no Norway
      Troms
You sir are #LEGEND " thank you! :D great post indeed * CLAP *  I will take this into consideration when I will tamper with it :P

glac

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This is awesome!
I really want to do this but don't want to wreck anything!
  • 2012 Sleek Silver i30cw CRDi 6 Speed

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
just follow the instructions, take your time and you will be fine.

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Just do it, Hman! With all the instructions and pics provided by agentr31  :goodjob2: and myself :mrgreen:, and success by the people who have now done this mod, it is as good as having a step-by-step workshop manual!

All you need to do is be methodical - stepping through the instructions and in a couple of hours you'll have glorious audio controls. Believe me, it was well worth it.... especially when you know you've done it yourself every bit as good as the factory.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
it is as good as having a step-by-step workshop manual!

Ohh yeah!! if not better! *fist pumps the air*

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
...and not to forget: Happy Birthday today to us! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
This is an excellent forum and I am happy to be a member!
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well said Bitsumishi :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i wonder if installing the cruise is as easy as the volume control buttons...

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
i wonder if installing the cruise is as easy as the volume control buttons...
My guess is a confident yes. :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I can't quite make out in the original pic what this should look like, but based on this pic I don't think I need a new clock spring.
Is that right?

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Go back to pic 10 of agentr31's original post. If the pic is too blurry (as is your pic!) then check agentr31's accompanying wording: "if you only have the bottom row, then you need a new clock spring!" That's how I determined I could do my mod without a clock spring. From what my poor, tired, old, four-eyes can see, I _think_ you should be okay.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks.

I'm trying to order the wiring Loom from Hyundai but they can't help me unless I have the full part number.

I already have cruise so I need the part ending in 2L500 but what are the numbers/letters before that?

Can someone post the full part number?

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
Thanks.

I'm trying to order the wiring Loom from Hyundai but they can't help me unless I have the full part number.

I already have cruise so I need the part ending in 2L500 but what are the numbers/letters before that?

Can someone post the full part number?

56190 2l500 i think.

on the first page, the second (?) pic, where it has the wiring, use the first half, change the second half.
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks

I tried that number with a dealer I was emailing and he said that didn't help.

Can anyone confirm what the part number is?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal